Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Username Post: Penn II        (Topic#22760)
HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
03-04-19 03:38 PM - Post#279300    
    In response to mobrien

• mobrien Said:
It's cute that Penn fans have delusions of grandeur because of one fluky season where they actually had a winning Ivy league record, got unearned home court advantage, and barely took us down when both of our best players were hurt. I'd say see you guys in the ILT, except ... well, there's a really good chance we won't.

It's too bad because Penn is an easier matchup than Brown.

Give me a break! He was responding to a Penn troll in a Harvard link invaded by Penn posters following Saturday's loss by Penn at Harvard. You're plain wrong.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

03-04-19 03:41 PM - Post#279302    
    In response to palestra38

• palestra38 Said:
So it's fluky for Harvard to have injuries (enough with the claim of 1st place because of the subjective tie breaker) but not Penn? Show me the OOC wins Harvard has that matches even closely to Penn. Thought so.

But count me in hoping that Penn can get in and get another crack at Harvard. You won't hit the lucky shots a 3rd time after being outplayed.

This was the Penn post I was trying to quote.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

03-04-19 03:44 PM - Post#279303    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

The facts are that:
- Harvard has a better OOC win
- Harvard has more injuries this year and last year
- Penn just lost twice to Harvard Despite 4 of Harvard's top 5 players missing or being limited.

Although we're not healthy and that is a big concern, as a fan I'm thrilled to be sitting in first place instead of merely hoping to finish at .500

section110 
Masters Student

Loc: south jersey
Reg: 11-22-04
03-04-19 03:50 PM - Post#279307    

Stop whining, Get back to the NCAAs & then brag. You've convinced the league to hold next years' tournament at the Lavatory; so will see if you can win there.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
03-04-19 04:03 PM - Post#279312    
    In response to section110

And if you don't want Penn fans to post on the Harvard Board (I thought we resolved years ago that anyone can post on any board), maybe you should find a few more Harvard fans. It's pretty amazing that the Ivy playoff has not sold out---but the lack of interest from H, Y and Pr is astonishing considering that they're in.

And again, claiming Harvard has had more injuries this year than Penn is just ridiculous. But get your excuses in line in advance.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Penn II
03-04-19 04:13 PM - Post#279320    

Penn fans have been posting here about Harvard's injuries - something you know know nothing about - all year.

I recall being told here by one of your brethren that neither Aiken or Towns would play this year. Why come over to another team's board and give your definitive opinion about something you know nothing about? Which, by the way, is exactly what you just did.

Oh, and Harvard vs Princeton at New Haven and Harvard vs Yale at the Palestra both sold out despite being played while the host school was on break. Hope you have your tix, just in case.

Edited by HARVARDDADGRAD on 03-04-19 04:14 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

palestra38 
Professor

Re: Penn II
03-04-19 04:28 PM - Post#279321    

Don't worry--I have mine. If Penn plays Harvard, it will be like a Penn home game.

And please don't give us this revisionist history of the Harvard injury debate. You told us at least 15 times that Towns was OK and would play this year. We called it correctly--he had a serious knee injury and could not play at all. Penn played the entire Ivy season without its best player, its best recruit and Wang was hurt and not the same player after the Toledo game. Even with that, the two teams are neck and neck head to head.

mobrien 
Senior

Loc: New York
Reg: 04-18-17
03-04-19 04:32 PM - Post#279325    

• palestra38 Said:
Towns played the entire season last year for Harvard and got hurt in the final. Aiken has played the entire Ivy season this year.

The loss of Betley for an entire season equals anything Harvard has lost. Add in Penn's most highly recruited guard lost for 2 seasons with ACL and there is nothing Harvard can claim in terms of victimhood.

This is the greatest example of the endowment effect I've ever seen. Saying that losing Betley and Williams is the same as losing Towns and Aiken is just ... it's insane.

Speaking of injuries, we just managed to beat you guys without Bassey. He's probably been our second most important player — our top rebounder and defender — with Towns out this year. But yeah, Penn has *totally* had to deal with more adversity the last two years.

palestra38 
Professor

03-04-19 04:35 PM - Post#279328    
    In response to mobrien

Not last year--just this year. And Penn had far greater graduation losses.

But what are you bitching about---Harvard has had, by far, the best recruiting classes in the Ivies for the last 4 years. Still waiting for a title, though.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

03-04-19 04:46 PM - Post#279333    
    In response to mobrien

You guys aren't reading what I write. You are absolutely clueless when it comes to the health of Harvard's players. Based on what you guys post, Penn is far far healthier than Harvard is, and that has been the case every single day of this season and most of last season.

The dumplicity is amazing though, as the absence of Betley and a guy who has never really played is highlighted. I remember hearing from a Penn fan in 2015-16 that Penn's victory at the Palestra that season was not at all related to the complete absence of Zena and the illness of Evan Cummings. Man, was that Penn poster adamant about that. He wouldn't concede anything.

Of course, it matter bigly. In the rematch, with Zena and Evan starting, Harvard ran out to a 40-15 lead and literally manhandled Penn.

Sure Penn would be better with Betley and Williams, but with a full season of Aiken and Towns Harvard would not only likely have clinched the league, but it would be a possible at large selection. Penn had a great OOC, but it would be no match if everyone were healthy.

palestra38 
Professor

03-04-19 04:49 PM - Post#279334    

Be honest with me---when you said Towns would be back and you were sure he did not suffer a serious injury, you were shooting right out of your a.ss, correct?

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

03-04-19 05:08 PM - Post#279342    

Nope, just following what I'd been told - which was that he was recovering and expected to play this year. Same with Bryce. As for Seth, I've been told he's been participating in full in practices. As we all heard and read, we could still see him.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
03-04-19 06:43 PM - Post#279376    

I’ll leave opinions to the side here.

When it comes to board rules, it’s fine to post on any boards, but if you’re a guest on a different team’s boards, try to avoid antagonizing any of their posters. Supporters should be able to post on their own boards without any taunting or aggressive behavior on the part of the visitors - aside from blatantly inappropriate content, it’s about the only thing I’ll step in on as a passive moderator.

As for the recruiting classes point, my model did not have the Harvard 2015 or 2017 classes as best in the Ivy. I think prior to 2016, Harvard hadn’t had a top class since 2012 - that was a huge reason why the 2016 class got pressed into service immediately.

The 2016 class was indeed the best in my database by a wide margin. And it’s on pace to live up to those projections even with all the injuries, which is insane.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

03-04-19 07:31 PM - Post#279379    

• palestra38 Said:
Don't worry--I have mine. If Penn plays Harvard, it will be like a Penn home game.

And please don't give us this revisionist history of the Harvard injury debate. You told us at least 15 times that Towns was OK and would play this year. We called it correctly--he had a serious knee injury and could not play at all. Penn played the entire Ivy season without its best player, its best recruit and Wang was hurt and not the same player after the Toledo game. Even with that, the two teams are neck and neck head to head.

Yes, neither of the two games were blowouts, but Harvard won them both, the latter without Bassey as well. Also, the Crimson are in first place and Penn is sub-500 and tied for 5th place. By the way, you guys said neither Aiken nor Towns would play this year. Was that ever wrong. Regardless, you've never seen any Harvard fan over on the Penn board opining on Penn's injuries. Why would anyone who doesn't know do that? Why would I come over to the Penn board and put a timetable on Betley, Williams, Wang, Max, etc? How would you guys react if I suggested that your guys take the year off and play a graduate season elsewhere? Not cool, to put it mildly.

palestra38 
Professor

03-04-19 08:57 PM - Post#279385    

Look, to put it mildly, you don't know shi.t. Period. You post all the time about information you supposedly know, and you're virtually always wrong. You post on other boards and complain about others posting on the Harvard board, as if you have a property interest. It's fine that you're a know-nothing blowhard, but don't make yourself some kind of victim.

BTW, no one ever said Aiken would be out all year--just Towns. And we were right. And you were wrong. Man, you're an arrogant SOB

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

BS
03-04-19 09:20 PM - Post#279388    

I know a lot more about Harvard basketball than you guys apparently did:

• PennFan10 Said:
I think the stakes are high right now. If those guys aren't back in the lineup by Dartmouth in 10 days I can't see the reason they would come back at all this season.

Bryce returned. Maybe Seth will return as well. He's practicing with the team - full out.

Wrong again.

By the way, I believe I'm often right, to wit:

- I tried to tell you guys that Penn lost the most talent and was not this season's Ivy favorite. Penn has fallen off more than any other Ivy team from 2018 to 2019. Don't use Betley as an excuse as Harvard and Princeton have lost as much if not more.
- I tried to tell you that Yale was good and deep. Yale has the best KP by far and is tied for first. You guys dismissed them to third place - actively arguing that Penn was much better than Yale.
- I explained that both Aiken and Towns were trying to return and were expected back. You guys insisted that they wouldn't be playing. I was right about Aiken, status remains a possibility on Towns. Timing of course depended on their medical condition and physical reaction to activity. I never professed to know that, and you guys surely knew far far less.
- The League agreed with me on HCA. No Palestra for 7 years, hopefully 14.

I could go on, but it's not worth the effort.

Please return to your own board and lick your wounds without bothering others.

palestra38 
Professor

Re: BS
03-04-19 09:29 PM - Post#279389    

Again, no one ever mentioned Aiken. And if you want me to repeat your BS about Towns coming back imminently, I can.

But again, this is not YOUR BOARD. It's a community, which you seem to think has you above others. That is unfortunate, but it says far more about you than us.

mobrien 
Senior

Loc: New York
Reg: 04-18-17
03-04-19 09:42 PM - Post#279393    

I distinctly remember Penn fans saying that neither Towns nor Aiken would come back this year. I'm too lazy to dig up the post, but it happened. Anyways, good luck qualifying for the ILT! We're rooting for you.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

03-04-19 10:04 PM - Post#279398    

I believe you have spoken quite clearly in a way that reflects poorly about yourself. And, it’s a shame.

Please go back and obsess over your own team. I am confident that I am far more welcome to keep posting here than you are. I have never engaged in ad hominem attacks here. Disappointed but not surprised that’s where this season has brought you.

Oh, and I guess the plural word ‘guys’ only referred to Towns? Of course there are more examples. For what it’s worth there was a time when Towns was expected back before Aiken. It was very disappointing to many when it changed. I suspect you do not share in that disappointment.

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.197 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:00 AM