Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Harvard        (Topic#22766)
Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
03-03-19 03:29 PM - Post#279161    
    In response to westcoast

I agree with the sense of optimism. The Tigers have the defensive intensity to play with the best teams in the league and it all comes down to their ability to make shots. They have plenty of good shooters unfortunately this season they have too often all gone cold at the same time. Losing Cannady was a big step backward but they still have many ways to score points.

westcoast 
Senior

Reg: 03-08-16
03-03-19 04:52 PM - Post#279174    
    In response to Tiger81

The challenge for Princeton is generating offense against the stronger defensive teams in the league. Schwieger has been fantastic against the three weaker defenses (Columbia - ranked #216 defensively on KP, Cornell - #200, Dartmouth - #257), but has not been a factor against the four good defensive teams. Against the first three, he uses his size to get in the paint or shoot over the smaller guards - and he has been great at making shots in those situations. But that's much harder to do against the longer, more athletic defenses of Harvard, Yale, Brown, and Penn.

Someone will have to start hitting some threes from the outside to make room for Aririguzoh and Stephens to work in the paint. That could be anyone from the group of Schwieger, DesRosiers, Much, Wright, Johns, or even Friberg. But without Cannady, someone else needs to become a three point shooter.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
03-03-19 05:39 PM - Post#279179    
    In response to westcoast

I suggested prior to the game that Schwieger would have a much greater challenging facing Harvard's length which was the case although he did have some opportunities. Biggest dissapointment was the performance of Jerome and Wright -- they had several open 3 pt shots at critical times and missed. Richmond needs to ratchet up his offensive contribution as well and finally, Jerome played passively for the 1st time for the majority of the game.

I am not sure why Mitch did not send Myles deep every time Aiken was guarding him.

As to Aiken and the hand shake, no big deal but who knows what was going on in his head. Amaker is a class act and the players represent the University well with rare exceptions.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
03-03-19 05:39 PM - Post#279180    
    In response to westcoast

I suggested prior to the game that Schwieger would have a much greater challenging facing Harvard's length which was the case although he did have some opportunities. Biggest dissapointment was the performance of Jerome and Wright -- they had several open 3 pt shots at critical times and missed. Richmond needs to ratchet up his offensive contribution as well and finally, Jerome played passively for the 1st time for the majority of the game.

I am not sure why Mitch did not send Myles deep every time Aiken was guarding him.

As to Aiken and the hand shake, no big deal but who knows what was going on in his head. Amaker is a class act and the players represent the University well with rare exceptions.

whitakk 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-11-14
03-03-19 11:44 PM - Post#279216    
    In response to westcoast

• westcoast Said:
The challenge for Princeton is generating offense against the stronger defensive teams in the league. Schwieger has been fantastic against the three weaker defenses (Columbia - ranked #216 defensively on KP, Cornell - #200, Dartmouth - #257), but has not been a factor against the four good defensive teams. Against the first three, he uses his size to get in the paint or shoot over the smaller guards - and he has been great at making shots in those situations. But that's much harder to do against the longer, more athletic defenses of Harvard, Yale, Brown, and Penn.

Hard to disentangle that from the lineup changes -- at least before yesterday, the pattern was that Schwieger was great with Cannady out but didn't do much when Cannady was in the lineup (forcing him to the bench or to slide up to the 3 where he doesn't have a size advantage).

Didn't see yesterday's game but Harvard is actually small in the backcourt with Aiken and Juzang (though length everywhere else helps cover). Next week will be an interesting test.

westcoast 
Senior

Reg: 03-08-16
03-03-19 11:53 PM - Post#279218    
    In response to whitakk

• whitakk Said:
Didn't see yesterday's game but Harvard is actually small in the backcourt with Aiken and Juzang (though length everywhere else helps cover). Next week will be an interesting test.

Yeah, but Aiken and Juzang are also decent defenders, and as you said, the help defenders for Harvard are very good. My guess is that Brown and Yale will also be tough matchups for Schwieger, but I hope I am wrong.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
03-05-19 01:25 AM - Post#279414    
    In response to westcoast

Kirkwood is economy-sized for a guard.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
03-05-19 12:05 PM - Post#279434    
    In response to SRP

Schwieger impressed me as he not only has a quick release but he is anxious to post and back down smaller guards when he gets that mismatch. Reminded me of a less savvy Spencer Weisz who will become more dangerous with experience.

Good strategy against Aiken, Juzang and Haskett, although they are all quicker so he needed to be careful. He doesn't have the skills or strength yet to be consistently successful against Kirkwood, Bassey and Catchings. Next year Harvard adds 6'6" Chris Ledlum who appears to be a cross between Kirkwood and Bassey so Schwieger will have to pick his spots, but they will be there.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.212 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:51 AM