Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Username Post: Tiebreaker Question        (Topic#22776)
Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
03-04-19 02:34 PM - Post#279284    
    In response to bradley

At least in the legal community, "get over it" usually is attributed to the late Antonin Scalia.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
03-04-19 02:55 PM - Post#279287    
    In response to Go Green

The tournament seems to be a work in progress. Location was a trial balloon and experience and input led to decision to move to Yale and then to rotate around the league. Maybe our comments were considered, maybe not, but I suspect they were. Thus, they will continue.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
03-04-19 03:17 PM - Post#279294    
    In response to PennFan10

• PennFan10 Said:
Yea, pretty sure that wasn’t my point but I hope you enjoy the board going forward. #goquakers

I'll apologize for having unfairly read the triumphalist intent of others into your post. That being said, I still have to bristle a bit at having an unwillingness to sing kumbaya about things I don't like being interpreted as a desire to shut down debate. But, if you feel the need to walk, that's up to you. Spoiler alert: the only other place to discuss Ivy hoops is the Voy board, and you're unlikely to find that that much more congenial (particularly since many of the people who do talk hoops over there are the same ones who do it here.)
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
03-04-19 03:24 PM - Post#279296    
    In response to Go Green

• Go Green Said:

Give the regular season champs rings.

Simple solution to a perceived "problem."

You do understand that to those on the other side of the question, this isn't satisfactory, right? Frankly, I think the current practice is actually one of the few times the league has really been honest in this whole situation--the tournament is the one thing that really matters here.
David Perry
Penn '92

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
03-04-19 03:27 PM - Post#279298    
    In response to Go Green

• Go Green Said:
  • bradley Said:
Go Green,

Here is a different simple solution --- Get an AD who hires a Coach who recruits and develops players so that you earn the right to go to the Big Dance in the footsteps of Rudy LaRusso back in the good old days of the Eisenhower Administration or give current Darthmouth players rings for trying. It would also help to win tight games.

Consider skipping the shortcuts and try to do it the right way == probably too complicated I guess.

The touranment is here to stay.

You lost. Get over it.

Your men's program hasn't won a league championship in 60 years, and at the rate things are going, it's going to take at least another 60. Truth hurts, doesn't it?
David Perry
Penn '92

Go Green 
PhD Student

Tiebreaker Question
03-04-19 03:47 PM - Post#279305    
    In response to dperry

• dperry Said:
  • Go Green Said:

Give the regular season champs rings.

Simple solution to a perceived "problem."

You do understand that to those on the other side of the question, this isn't satisfactory, right?

Giving a ring for a regular season title irrespective of going to the NCAA championships is exactly what we do in football.

What are alternatives? I suppose that ditching the tournament is one of them. But as has been acknowledged--however begrudgingly-- that ain't happening.

So if you really think that the regular season title is being devalued--and I'll assume arguendo that this is a real, existing, serious problem--I'm offering a real solution to it.

Edited by Go Green on 03-04-19 03:49 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Tiebreaker Question
03-04-19 04:05 PM - Post#279314    
    In response to Go Green

And here I thought you were being sarcastic.

The absurdity of the football situation demands agreement to play in the tournament.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
03-04-19 04:06 PM - Post#279315    
    In response to Go Green

• Go Green Said:
Giving a ring for a regular season title irrespective of going to the NCAA championships is exactly what we do in football.

People don't care about those, either. Just the players. And the only reason they care is because it's all they have thanks to the ridiculous rules in place.

Go Green 
PhD Student

03-04-19 06:19 PM - Post#279363    
    In response to Quakers03

• Quakers03 Said:

People don't care about those, either.

I can assure you, friend, that more people care about rings than do about whether a 6-8 team qualifies for a conference tournament.

palestra38 
Professor

03-04-19 06:20 PM - Post#279364    
    In response to Go Green

I think it's more about what the ring stands for than the ring. But 6-8 does not warrant a ring, that is for sure.

Go Green 
PhD Student

03-04-19 06:33 PM - Post#279372    
    In response to palestra38

• palestra38 Said:
I think it's more about what the ring stands for than the ring. But 6-8 does not warrant a ring, that is for sure.

Holy Cross got rings for going 5-13 in PL play in 2015-16 (and winning the PL tourney).

Honestly, if you all are so convinced that the regular season has been rendered meaningless by the creation of Ivy Madness (even though nobody else in the country apparently shares your angst), then just award rings to the regular season champs AND the Ivy Madness champs.

palestra38 
Professor

03-04-19 06:38 PM - Post#279374    
    In response to Go Green

It's not me. I am enjoying the new system. However, I do not think it is truly compatible with what the Ivy League stands for and was created for---a group of schools with a similar academic philosophy who wished to compete in sports as hard as any other group, but with no special advantages. Thus, Penn and Cornell gave up top-10 quality football programs (and scholarships) and Dartmouth was given the opportunity to compete at an even level with much larger schools. The idea was that the winner was the true champion. Have we moved from that ideal? Of course. And I would like to see a revised Ivy Agreement to recognize that. But despite that, I am still enjoying the games and always will.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
03-04-19 11:54 PM - Post#279410    

I agree that we have moved on from the original framing of the Ivy ideal.

At the risk of extending this thread, the best balance I can think of between creating a tournament atmosphere while empowering the regular season champion would be to make it a three-team tournament, with the RS champion getting the bye. Not as much madness, but makes the difference between finishing first and second more meaningful.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
03-05-19 01:39 AM - Post#279415    
    In response to Bruno

The folly basically acts like anesthesia. The losses aren't quite as painful (when you're likely to be in the top four), the wins aren't quite as thrilling. So I was in a much more cheerful mood after losing to Harvard (again!) than I would have been in the old system.

That feeling of elation when the conference leader gets upset by a low-ranking team and you know that your team isn't dead yet is pretty much gone.

palestra38 
Professor

03-05-19 08:50 AM - Post#279421    
    In response to SRP

Or to put it in Princetonian terms, the enormous relief from at long last having finished your final exams after almost 8 weeks of anxious waiting no longer occurs when you take your finals right after classes end. It feels good, but not as good.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
03-05-19 02:46 PM - Post#279459    

More like the unexpected snow day off from school when you hadn't finished an assignment.

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.004 seconds.   Total Queries: 18   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:38 AM