Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Mike Jensen on the Ivies' Decision to Rotate Hosting        (Topic#22788)
palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
03-05-19 11:32 AM - Post#279431    

because of a paywall, I am pasting the article:

The Ivy League did what?
My view of the Ivy League’s decision to play its postseason tournament on every single campus, no matter how marginal its gym, before returning to the Palestra: It’s insane.

Actually, it’s worse than that. It’s a vote against caring about basketball at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
Obviously, this decision was made by people who know all about what venues they are sentencing the Ivy tournament to play in. That makes it only more insane. So many of the league’s gyms are limited in capacity, devoid of character, lacking in amenities.

Seriously, Cornell and Dartmouth are hosting a league tournament? The league apparently couldn’t agree on smarter choices and decided to punt entirely, probably slapping itself on the back for standing up for fairness and balance.

Actual fairness would have put the league in a central location every year, in the middle of the league, even if it was off campus.

I’m not arguing to have it in the Palestra every year. Yes, that’s the best venue without any others even entering the conversation. But that would not be fair to have Penn hosting each year. I wrote that last year. But if you’re going to give everybody a shot at the tournament, maybe have the schools consider building an appropriate facility. They could afford it, if they cared enough about hoops.

Better, forget this idea of bringing the whole league together and let the top seeds host. There’s your fairness and balance. If Dartmouth ends up hosting, that’s completely fair since the team would have earned it and the fan base would be excited about it. The Patriot League gets it right.

Unless I’m wrong. Unless every league should do this. Maybe the Atlantic 10 should scrap the Barclays Center and move around to all the venues. Start with Olean, move on to St. Louis next year. See how that goes. The Big Ten tournament could show up at Rutgers one year, Penn State another, Minnesota the next. It would be awesome.

Not a good idea? No, it’s an insane idea. Nobody would have even thought of it, except the Ivies.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
03-05-19 12:56 PM - Post#279444    
    In response to palestra38

LOL

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
03-06-19 12:11 AM - Post#279521    
    In response to Streamers

Yep that about sums up my feelings as well.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
03-06-19 09:41 PM - Post#279646    
    In response to Mike Porter

“It’s a vote against caring about basketball at all.”

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.298 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:58 AM