Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: RPI and the Bracket Buster        (Topic#2283)
Husky - Bison 
maximus

Reg: 01-24-06
01-30-06 03:01 PM - Post#14354    

Correct me if I'm wrong but even if we lose the road Bracketbuster game, our RPI will increase?

Not that I want the loss but given it's a road game against an RPI top 30, it should increase?????

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
Re: RPI and the Bracket Buster
01-30-06 03:14 PM - Post#14355    
    In response to Husky - Bison

Eric is the expert here but I believe a loss would result in a marginal increase while a win could generate a somewhat significant rise.

Hoop Time 
Sophomore
Hoop Time
Reg: 01-23-06
01-30-06 03:40 PM - Post#14356    
    In response to Bison137

Either way, returning to PL play will continue to drop the Bison's RPI . . . after the top three, the league generally is a mess. The only reason somebody from that bunch will end up in fourth place in the league is because somebody has to.

Even Lehigh and HC's RPIs are too low to be of any help to Bucknell.

Optimistically, you have to hope the selection committee will look more at out of conference RPI than overall in a case like Bucknell, should they fail to win the Patriot League's automatic bid.

A win over, say, UNI, would seem to solidify Bucknell's credentials should they falter in the final. Not sure even that will make a difference if they don't win the regular season and make the final, though.

I doubt anybody connected with the team (players, coaches) is looking at it as if they will get an at-large if they don't win the conference tournament.

That is simply life as we know it in the Patriot League, or at least until some of the bottom dwellers develop into more consistent solid programs with stronger non-conference schedules.

ericatbucknell 
PhD Student
ericatbucknell
Reg: 01-22-06
01-30-06 05:30 PM - Post#14357    
    In response to Hoop Time

i dont have the numbers on this computer, but i will be able to run an analysis tomorrow evening.

bucknell has two HUGE things in its favor right now. first, the bison will have one of the best records in the nation should they finish the season as expected. almost every major conference team is going to lose several games between now and march. second, we are wnning lots and lots of road games. these help our rpi... a lot. consequently, should we win out our rpi will be in the 20s (higher than todays 34).

that said, our rpi will almost certainly drop should we lose. at this point in the season, any individual game will have a minute impact on strength of schedule.
The Bracket Bustin' Bison are Back!

Okay. First round streak BACK ON!

ericatbucknell 
PhD Student
ericatbucknell
Reg: 01-22-06
01-31-06 06:54 PM - Post#14358    
    In response to ericatbucknell

okay, they wont let me edit my above post.

i just ran the numbers on the northern iowa rpi implications. using my data (which is from last thursday... i will update again on thursday), a loss is actually better than playing the game. i stand corrected!

assuming we run the pl table (tournament included)...

with a loss: 0.5910
with a win: 0.5972
without the game: 0.5896
The Bracket Bustin' Bison are Back!

Okay. First round streak BACK ON!

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.295 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:11 AM