Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: From Jon Tannenwald's Article on the Game"        (Topic#22835)
palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
03-09-19 11:43 PM - Post#280360    

"Freshman Michael Wang did not play because of knee problems that Donahue said have lingered for “a good month and a half.” The injury got bad enough that Wang did not dress Saturday night, and Donahue said he won’t play in the Ivy tournament."

So whether or not this was a consequence of his injury in the Toledo game or not, those of us who thought he was injured and did not have anywhere near to the spring he had prior to the Toledo game were correct. The guy was hurt and is out for the year.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-22-04
Re: From Jon Tannenwald's Article on the Game"
03-09-19 11:48 PM - Post#280361    
    In response to palestra38

Wow, you've gotta wonder if he's gonna be a chronic sore knee guy who never really gets untracked. Remember Frankie Brown?

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
03-10-19 08:47 AM - Post#280378    

Even if it wasn't directly related, the body compensates for weakness in one part of the body by putting more stress on another.

Hopefully a whole lot of rest will fix him.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
03-10-19 10:57 AM - Post#280397    

Glad you were at least partially right on this. When I said at the outset of the Ivy season that I thought Ivy opponents would make it harder for Wang than OOC opponents, I didn’t mean that they would make it so hard he would drop from the rotation. Not a scenario I was envisioning. Makes sense something more was at play, and I imagine it is very tough for a talented player who wants to prove himself (and can see how much he means to the team when healthy) to figure out what he can play through and what he can’t. In addition to the guys who were lost for the year, we had a lot of guys toughing out various levels of injury this year. Kudos to Mike and Max in particular for working so hard to get out there and play through pain.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
03-10-19 11:07 AM - Post#280398    
    In response to TheLine

• TheLine Said:
Even if it wasn't directly related, the body compensates for weakness in one part of the body by putting more stress on another.

Hopefully a whole lot of rest will fix him.

At least the injury isn't something catastrophic, like an ACL. Sounds to me to be something chronic and limiting in terms of mobility and strength, such as patellar tendinitis. And as someone who has managed that condition for several decades, I'll tell you the first thing your orthopedist will recommend is to rest it, so that the inflammation subsides. After that you can start a strength training regimen to work on your quads and hamstrings. This helps to enable the patellar tendon to avoid further irritation.

I hope the problem is no more serious than this, and that rest and physical therapy can help Wang get ready for next season with no setbacks.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
03-10-19 11:50 AM - Post#280409    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

As I said more than once last, we had a pretty good team in street clothes: Wang, Williams, Betley, Hamilton - and.... OK, McManus.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
03-10-19 02:09 PM - Post#280454    
    In response to Streamers

Add it to the list against the offbase fans of other Ivy teams who somehow think they have had to deal with more trials and tribulations this season.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.122 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:46 AM