Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Username Post: Individual Awards        (Topic#22839)
Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
03-12-19 12:06 PM - Post#280795    
    In response to palestra38

• palestra38 Said:
As for COY, I don't think anyone really can win it except for Amaker---you have to look at all those injuries and close wins. That's coaching, no matter the knock on him on his game coaching. This year, his team won the title just barely outscoring the opposition. That's COY performance.

Do doubt he deserves credit and I agree should be COY, but a superstar who puts your team on his back with circus shots that he creates all on his own makes quite a difference. Did Jerome learn how to coach in the Penn 2012 run or did Zack just carry him?

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
03-12-19 12:14 PM - Post#280801    
    In response to Quakers03

Decent point, but Penn was fully healthy that year(until Bernardini got hurt late) and got major contributions from Belcore and Cartwright. This Harvard team seemingly got outplayed time and time again and came away with Ws.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
03-12-19 02:44 PM - Post#280843    

I'm pretty sure Amaker is going to win, but it's really on the strength of his recruiting and finishing 1st. I still think Martin, Earl, and Engles did a better job of actual coaching.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
Individual Awards
03-12-19 03:04 PM - Post#280846    
    In response to rbg

https://ivyleague.com/news/2019/3/12/mens-b asketba...

Congrats to POY Miye Oni, DPOY Obie Okolie, ROY Noah Kirkwood and COY Mike Martin

Edited by PennFan10 on 03-12-19 03:07 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

palestra38 
Professor

Re: Individual Awards
03-12-19 03:15 PM - Post#280848    
    In response to PennFan10

While I thought Oni was outplayed in the two Penn games, his overall body of work and more importantly, being on a title team, put him over the top. Maybe next year for AJ. But congrats to all who made it.

T.P.F.K.A.D.W. 
PhD Student

Loc: Our Nation's Capital
Reg: 01-18-05
03-12-19 03:19 PM - Post#280849    

Astonishing:

Senior Matt Morgan concluded his career as the second leading scorer in Ivy League history with 2,309 points and is on pace to become the first player to pace the League in scoring all four years of his career after finishing the season with 22.1, which currently ranks 18th in the nation. His 80-game double-figure scoring streak is a program and League record, while ranking 12th in NCAA history.

palestra38 
Professor

03-12-19 03:22 PM - Post#280850    
    In response to T.P.F.K.A.D.W.

He's a great offensive player. Maybe the best I have seen since Keven McDonald in the 1970s....and imagine how many points he might have scored had Hatter not been there for 2 years taking a lot of his shots.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
Individual Awards
03-12-19 03:47 PM - Post#280855    

LOL at Oni winning. Sure, he'a a wonderful player but he's owned by a guy who isn't even HM. I would have picked any of the 3 other unanimous players over him. I admit a bias here because I've seen him play against Penn 5 times in the past 2 years and he's had maybe 1 good game out of the 5. I can't erase memories of those games.

Very happy that Stefanini is 2nd team and Tape 3rd team.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
03-12-19 04:13 PM - Post#280858    
    In response to TheLine

• TheLine Said:
LOL at Oni winning. Sure, he'a a wonderful player but he's owned by a guy who isn't even HM. I would have picked any of the 3 other unanimous players over him. I admit a bias here because I've seen him play against Penn 5 times in the past 2 years and he's had maybe 1 good game out of the 5. I can't erase memories of those games.

Very happy that Stefanini is 2nd team and Tape 3rd team.

According to this Q&A with IHO, Oni thinks the lighting in the Palestra is "weird".

I still think it's Woods' defense that threw him off stride in both the semifinal game in last year's tournament and last Friday's game.

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

Reg: 12-04-15
03-12-19 04:22 PM - Post#280861    
    In response to PennFan10

I join in extending congrats to all players who received recognition and to Coach Martin. That said, I don't understand how Myles Stephens was bypassed for DPOY, especially since he made the first team. If anything, his defense this year was better than in his sophomore year when he won the award. Aririguhzoh went from 9 mpg as a sophomore to second team All Ivy. In my opinion he outplayed Brodeur in both of their meetings this season and every other 5 spot player (except Tape) through the whole season.

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

Reg: 12-04-15
03-12-19 04:27 PM - Post#280863    

I agree absolutely.

TheLine 
Professor

03-12-19 04:30 PM - Post#280864    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

It wasn't the lights, it was Woods. Same thing in the 2 Palestra games last year. And let's throw in the game at Yale last year as well.

I've seen other games where Oni looked more like a POY player. Then again, I could say the same for Aiken, Morgan or Brodeur.

whitakk 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-11-14
03-12-19 04:34 PM - Post#280867    
    In response to JadwinGeorge

Oni was top-5 in league play in points, assists and blocks, and was T-6 in rebounds. He was pretty efficient on 28% usage, and an impact defender.

This wasn't just a "best player on best team" default - he's a legitimately deserving POY. (And any of the other three would have been as well.)

palestra38 
Professor

03-12-19 04:49 PM - Post#280870    

Well, Aririguzoh had 2 very good offensive games against Penn. But his 20/7/0 (pts, rebounds, blocks) were not better than Brodeur's 18/15/2 in the first game and although Brodeur had a poor shooting game in the 2nd game, the comparison of Aririguzoh's 17/9/2 with Brodeur's 16/12/5 is at most, slightly in your favor. I think the reason Princeton won those two games was the sudden loss of Wang and the terrible games of Goodman and Washington in the Palestra game.

But I agree that Aririguzoh had 2 very good offensive games against Penn. AJ's overall season had him at the top of more statistical categories than any other Ivy player.

TheLine 
Professor

03-12-19 04:49 PM - Post#280871    

• JadwinGeorge Said:
Aririguhzoh went from 9 mpg as a sophomore to second team All Ivy. In my opinion he outplayed Brodeur in both of their meetings this season and every other 5 spot player (except Tape) through the whole season.

Yes to this.

The league has never had this many quality bigs. Knight is a super player, his honor is well-deserved. We haven't even discussed Atkinson, Bruner and Lewis.

tkapiko 
Freshman

Reg: 07-04-16
Individual Awards
03-12-19 05:03 PM - Post#280876    
    In response to TheLine

Can't we all just be happy for those who won? Multiple players are deserving of many of the honors, but in the end only a few will win. As you can see, this is not a one-on-one battle selection. It has to do with the entire body of work all season. For example, I can imagine Aiken being the POY if he played the entire season with his clutch performances, but then again, he might not be able to sustain his scoring. Morgan is the best scorer in the league and he has the scoring title 4 years in a row, but his team did not make the IL tournament. Brodeur is also a legitimate candidate. This just shows the level of competition in the IL. You can go on and on about this. Congrats to all who won.

Edited by tkapiko on 03-12-19 05:06 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
03-12-19 05:07 PM - Post#280877    

Other than the slam dunk players, top four -- Morgan, Aiken, Oni and Brodeur, the remaining two slots could have been given to several other players but Copeland and Stephens are seniors and they performed well. I would have given POY award to Morgan, followed very closely by Aiken and if the two flipped, no biggie. As to DPY, it is always a tough call.

Morris deserves recognition and he really did a great job in elevating Brown. Would have made sense if Amaker got it as well based on Crimson's IL record and injuries.

So many factors in deciding on these awards but overall decisions seemed reasonable.

Morgan seems to have received the short end of the stick several times over the years but he does not play in a media hot spot.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-12-19 05:20 PM - Post#280881    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

• weinhauers_ghost Said:

Having nothing to do with Oni's performance, but having attended plenty of Palestra games in the 80s, the new lighting does seem quite unusual. You really feel like you are under the literal and figurative spotlight.

Naismith 
Sophomore

Loc: RI
Reg: 11-11-18
03-12-19 05:33 PM - Post#280883    
    In response to bradley

If media hot spots were the criteria for post-season honors, Penn would have swept the board. Just fill in the blanks where you want each player honored.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-22-04
03-12-19 08:21 PM - Post#280895    
    In response to penn nation

• penn nation Said:
  • weinhauers_ghost Said:

Having nothing to do with Oni's performance, but having attended plenty of Palestra games in the 80s, the new lighting does seem quite unusual. You really feel like you are under the literal and figurative spotlight.

I posted this comment on another board this afternoon whereit got lost, so I’ll paste it here since it seems to fit in:

It's only the last couple years that the lighting in the Palestra has stopped being weird. For ages it was a dark, shadowy gym that was only illuminated by mercury vapor lights hanging from the ceiling. Before the renovation in the late 80s when they painted the skylights, at least you had some natural light for the occasional Saturday afternoon games. When they put in the new floor about a dozen or so years ago, they added a bank of really bright lights fairly low down on the south side. Those of us on the north side had bright lights in our eyes while the players on the court were in the shadows. (P38 among others can attest that I complained repeatedly over the years about how awful the lighting was from our seats and tried to convince him to switch to the other side.) I believe this was done for tv since the standard camera shot is from the box above the south stands. Finally they added a matching bank on our side a couple years ago, so at least we're not limited to seeing the dark side of the Quakers (to paraphrase Pink Floyd.) I don't know what effect that has on the court, but it can only help shooting since you're never looking into lights when you're facing the basket. I think Oni has a mental block after Antonio shut him down, and homecourt lighting won't change that.

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.977 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:55 PM