Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: NIT Bid        (Topic#22874)
HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
03-17-19 12:41 PM - Post#281771    
    In response to BisonKid

You’re being selfish. 😊

And frankly this team doesn’t deserve another game. That’s not a knock. 20 win season and a tough non-conference schedule. But they lost their NIT bid when they couldn’t take care of business and I’m guessing they all know that better than any of us.

bison75 
Masters Student

Reg: 01-26-06
03-17-19 08:56 PM - Post#281848    
    In response to BisonKid

As expected, we’re not in the field.

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
Reg: 01-24-06
03-17-19 09:33 PM - Post#281855    
    In response to BisonKid

CBI field is out. We are not in it. Interestingly WVU accepted a bid to it.

Haven’t seen a CIT bracket yet.

MangyOne 
Freshman
MangyOne
Loc: Rochester, NY Metro Area
Reg: 12-28-09
03-18-19 08:22 AM - Post#281880    
    In response to BUFan

CIT announced - no Bison. Which is fine, as let's remember these guys as going out proud. Close, but no cigar. But thanks for the memories, and we all wish our seniors a successful future.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
03-18-19 08:35 AM - Post#281881    
    In response to MangyOne

• MangyOne Said:
CIT announced - no Bison. Which is fine, as let's remember these guys as going out proud. Close, but no cigar. But thanks for the memories, and we all wish our seniors a successful future.

Bison are better than the majority of teams in the field. Might have won a few games. I am OK with not accepting a bid, but I hope the seniors had a major voice in the decision.

http://www.collegeinsider.com/tournament/schedule-...

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
03-18-19 07:16 PM - Post#281962    
    In response to Bison137

I have no knowledge, just my opinion, and my opinion is that ND probably makes his own decisions. Just observation. I think he beli bra he knows more than anyone else. I could be way off. Fits with his style from what I watch....such as poor sportsmanship at the beginning of games to not have a coach available to shake hands/fist bump opposing players during introductions. Again, just a far away observation.

Bison54 
PhD Student
Bison54
Reg: 11-18-09
03-18-19 09:26 PM - Post#281978    
    In response to MrPhillie

beli bra?????

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
03-18-19 10:57 PM - Post#281990    
    In response to Bison54

Ha...no idea. I’m gonna go with “believes”

Bison54 
PhD Student
Bison54
Reg: 11-18-09
03-18-19 11:27 PM - Post#281998    
    In response to MrPhillie

makes sense. Personally, I prefer the shake/fistbump with players and their counterpart as is done in the tournament games. Doing it one of the underling coaches seems almost absurd.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
03-19-19 09:33 AM - Post#282020    
    In response to Bison54

How old is that tradition anyway? It seems like it's going overboard. I don't get why it's important to greet the opposing coach before the game.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-19-19 10:11 AM - Post#282024    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:
How old is that tradition anyway? It seems like it's going overboard. I don't get why it's important to greet the opposing coach before the game.

It's not important, but I agree it creates a bad look when the five Bison starters go over and shake the hand of a waiting opposition coach - but when the opponents are announced they cannot reciprocate because there is no Bison coach available.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
03-19-19 05:14 PM - Post#282125    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:
  • BisonRoadWarrior Said:

It's not important, but I agree it creates a bad look when the five Bison starters go over and shake the hand of a waiting opposition coach - but when the opponents are announced they cannot reciprocate because there is no Bison coach available.

Exactly. It is a bad look. Virtually every game that was the case, opposing players come over to shake hands and nobody home. Instead the coaches line up on the baseline like it is a war or something. Meanwhile, Bucknell players get announced and almost always shake hands or hug the opposing coach, often the head coach. I don’t think it is over the top important but what’s wrong with a little sportsmanship? It is obviously something Davis is emphatic about not doing. To me, it’s a bit pathetic. We all have our own opinion.

BisonKid 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-26-06
03-19-19 06:11 PM - Post#282134    
    In response to MrPhillie

This is the first I have heard of this. Not only is it pathetic but it is an embarrassment to the school. If Nathan has an issue with being respectful of the opponent, let an assistant coach do it. I now understand why the team did not accept an offer to play in the CBI or CIT- against ND's blue chip pedigree, I guess. Reminds me of Sean Miller who was "insulted" when he had to play the Bison in the lowly NIT several years ago. The Bison came to play and embarrassed the Wildcats. My guess is that the players wanted to keep playing games this year, whether it was the CBI, CIT or YMCA.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
NIT Bid
03-19-19 10:45 PM - Post#282159    
    In response to BisonKid

• BisonKid Said:
I now understand why the team did not accept an offer to play in the CBI or CIT- against ND's blue chip pedigree, I guess.

I have no knowledge of the deliberations---which would also involve athletic department leadership---but the CBI and CIT are beneath Bucknell's blue chip pedigree. As Davis was quoted as saying in the championship postgame interview, players come to Bucknell with high aspirations of appearing in the NCAA or NIT. I'd like to think they have the maturity to understand a university conclusion that the CBI and CIT are not worthwhile.

To me, those two tournaments are analogous to diploma mills. Instead of paying money to get a diploma, it's paying money to manufacture "post-season" appearances. If Davis was indeed against it, we should applaud him for not being inclined to pad his resume with these tournaments.

• BisonKid Said:
Reminds me of Sean Miller who was "insulted" when he had to play the Bison in the lowly NIT several years ago.

I'd bet the ranch Miller never made any such statement. (That's not to say his team came into the game with the right mindset.)

• BisonKid Said:
My guess is that the players wanted to keep playing games this year, whether it was the CBI, CIT or YMCA.

Maybe, maybe not. But in a program that sets high standards while developing people with strong, resilient character, do we really want to bend over backward to postpone players' disappointment in the season coming to an end?

It bears repeating that these are pay-to-play events, and I don't think they represent a sound use of donors' money.

Beyond that and everything else above, do you really want to put more wear and tear on Jimmy Sotos and John Meeks to do something like Lehigh did in the 2013 CBI---fly all the way to Wyoming to play in front of a largely empty arena?

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Re: NIT Bid
03-19-19 11:00 PM - Post#282163    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:

• BisonKid Said:
Reminds me of Sean Miller who was "insulted" when he had to play the Bison in the lowly NIT several years ago.

I'd bet the ranch Miller never made any such statement. (That's not to say his team came into the game with the right mindset.)

I'd agree with that, to the extent of any public statement. Who knows what he said in private and who knows what his players felt. Publicly Miller had this to say prior to the game:

""We are excited to be a No. 1 seed in the NIT and play in front of our great fans. We look forward to the challenge of playing Bucknell, a team that has won a conference championship this season."

After the game, this was the feeling:

"In some respects, UA coach Sean Miller may have seen it coming. He said Monday he wasn't sure how his players would respond to playing in the NIT after coming so close to the NCAA tournament - and experiencing the high of an Elite Eight appearance last season.

Shaking that Colorado loss off became even tougher, he indicated, when forces outside his control cast a downbeat atmosphere into his locker room.

"That's the hard part about being in the NIT," Miller said. "It's a great tournament, and we respected it a great deal and appreciate the opportunity to play in tonight's game. But when you read an article, if you're a member of our team, there's just incredible disappointment.

And one of his key players felt this way:

""We've listened too much to the outside world," Hill said. "Guys didn't understand that we had another chance to play in front of our home crowd, to play again with each other one more time, and get another win even if it wasn't the tournament.

"But there were outside sources. People in their ear who got to them. Great teams have played in this, and once in a while you get in the NIT. Things happen, and you need to get over it.""

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.23 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:19 PM