Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Jarrod Simmons        (Topic#22893)
DCAJedi 
Masters Student

Loc: Somewhere.
Reg: 11-21-04
03-15-19 02:48 PM - Post#281517    

Thanks to those of you willing to help pay my salary...

https://www.philly.com/college-sports/colleg e-bask...
"Here will be an old abusing of God's patience, and the king's English."

palestra38 
Professor

Re: Jarrod Simmons
03-15-19 02:55 PM - Post#281520    
    In response to DCAJedi

I'm a subscriber, and good article on the Ivy League's view that the tournament "belongs on our campuses." Of course, that doesn't explain why the men's and women's tournament must be played together and why the 1-seeds cannot host.

SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
03-15-19 03:06 PM - Post#281526    
    In response to palestra38

I read your excellent article Jon but am disgusted by the cheeky answers given by Ms. Harris. She "Honestly doesn't remember" whether the vote to rotate among campus sites was unanimous???

And only the "most ardent fans" will get in? But not necessarily the less ardent fans. And while she says "we'll always have student tickets", she ignores the obvious questions of how many.

Next year's venue at (one men's room, one toilet) Harvard seats just under 1700, a number that will probably get smaller with more press people. So that will have to be divided among ardent fans, some students, administration people, parents and others.

As to finances, she says "The tournaments were never about generating revenue. We want to cover our costs, and operate them in a cost-effective way, and we want to make sure ticket prices remain accessible to our fans. That this is something a family can come to. The costs go up to a great extent at a neutral venue."

We should believe that they are just trying to cover their costs? Riiiight! I've got some prime land in Florida to sell her.

The administration of this tournament remains a joke! But I will still be there this weekend to root the Quakers to the Dance1

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
03-15-19 03:12 PM - Post#281533    
    In response to SteveChop

Ticket prices at $95 bar most students. That leaves a lmited number of $35 balcony or SRO tix. If they weren't on break, the Yale students who regularly show up in the hundreds (thousand+?) wouldn't be able to afford to attend on their own campus. Others who would have to travel would be under worse circumstances. This isn't about the students or the fans, and Coach Amaker has now confirmed what I had heard all along: he did not want a Tournament.

palestra38 
Professor

03-15-19 03:19 PM - Post#281536    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

I don't know about the "wouldn't be able to afford" statement, but "don't think it's worth it" is probably more applicable. Student ticket, though, are cheaper that any of the regularly priced tickets.

SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
03-15-19 03:46 PM - Post#281544    

Had not seen that statement from Coach Amaker. No surprise as he is in the position that those of us who opposed the tournament have stated all alont.

His team finished first in the 14 game "tournament" (though absent the tournament they'd have a playoff with Yale) and, if the oddsmakers are correct, his team is not going to the NCAA Tournament. Second year in a row he is in this position though had there been a Harvard-Penn playoff in the traditional format, Penn beat them anyway.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
03-15-19 04:04 PM - Post#281552    

• HARVARDDADGRAD Said:
Coach Amaker has now confirmed what I had heard all along: he did not want a Tournament.

If you're talking about Amaker's comments to the Globe, I think you're reading too much into them.

In any event, without the tournament, Harvard could very well find itself in the same position as 2015 Yale did the day after Selection Sunday. And Yale was very, very, very unhappy then.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.227 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:37 AM