Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Yale        (Topic#22904)
palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
03-16-19 09:59 PM - Post#281729    
    In response to whitakk

As someone who was there, the 5th foul on Stephens was an absolute joke. Terrible call.

whitakk 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-11-14
03-16-19 10:46 PM - Post#281739    
    In response to palestra38

Forgot to mention, Mitch said Princeton is done (not playing in any postseason tournaments).

Reasonable enough given the injuries and weird year, but as the Penn board is discussing it's part of a larger trend -- no team that's played in the Ivy tournament has accepted a CBI/CIT invite.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
03-17-19 02:48 AM - Post#281749    
    In response to whitakk

Just had a chance to watch it. After a dispiriting first half, marked by unfavorable officiating and Princeton struggling just to survive, the Tigers came out on a rampage in the second half. Fast-breaking, sweeping the boards, forcing Yale into turnovers and rushed shots. It was remarkable--haven't seen anything like that stretch all year. Impressive show of will and heart.

As everyone noted, the last iffy call on Stephens put the Tigers in a very difficult hole. I would have tried some zone, but then I always want to try that. In this case, when Oni and Copeland were driving at will, I might have been right. Not sure it would have mattered, though.

The other thing that impressed me was Llewelyn, who looked like the guy we all heard about before the season. Not just the good shooting (at least from the field) but the passing and decision-makong looked really good. And while nobody could stop Copeland (thank God he's out of eligibility after this season), Llewelyn's D was solid.

Aririguzoh was also fairly awesome, playing with a lot of fouls for much of the game and having to shake off multiple Yalies on most possessions. Stephens played a terrific game under duress, one of his best efforts IMO.

In the end, I sure didn't see Princeton scoring 77 and losing. The bad first-half D and Yale's first-half explosion was just too much to overcome in the end without having Stephens in the game for the whole 2nd half. Can't complain too much about the foul shooting (75%) although I was groaning at the late misses.

All but a few teams end the season with a loss. Not too bad to have that loss end on one of the more inspiring halves of basketball I've seen this season.

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
03-17-19 08:49 AM - Post#281757    
    In response to SRP

Well said.

In the second half Princeton played with a pace and cohesiveness that has been missing much of this year. As I was watching the comeback I was thinking that this might be the game that defines the start of the Llewelyn era. He seemed more consistently in control (0 TOs) and dominant than I had seen previously. Losing Stephens was the dagger because there was no answer for Oni at that point and the tide visibly shifted.

Although I would have loved to see Princeton in the final (Harvard looked very beatable vs. Penn), it is only fair that the two co-champs should duke it for the league’s spot in the NCAAs. The women’s final should be a good one too, hoping Alarie, Littlefield, Jordan and Rush bring it vs. Penn.

Myles Stephens will depart as one of my favorite Tigers in a long time. His thrilling put-back against Penn in the semi two years ago is forever etched into my memory. And he brought talent, effort and toughness to every possession on both ends of the floor. A class act who will be missed.

The Tigers will return a solid core of talent next year with Aririguzoh, Llewelyn and Schweiger along with Desrosiers, Much and Morales as reliable and experienced role players. If Gladson returns to form and Wright, Johns or Friberg make a Schweiger-like jump this could be a very deep team. And maybe Colby Kyle, Ryan Langborg or another freshman emerge to crack the rotation?

I’m hoping this year’s good-but-not-great, star-crossed season can lay the foundation for a team that can contend for the league title next year.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
03-17-19 11:01 AM - Post#281762    
    In response to Tiger81

• Tiger81 Said:

Myles Stephens will depart as one of my favorite Tigers in a long time. His thrilling put-back against Penn in the semi two years ago is forever etched into my memory. And he brought talent, effort and toughness to every possession on both ends of the floor. A class act who will be missed.

Well said yourself.

I really hate to see him leave, and wish him nothing but the best. He came into the program unheralded and leaves as one of the best all time.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-17-19 12:42 PM - Post#281772    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

Myles is a class act. For me this was a melancholy season, with many injuries compounding Cannady’s self inflicted wound that he will likely regret for the rest of his life. Myles — and Devin— are among the greats in the Princeton basketball family. They deserved to go out in a better fashion.

As for this game, poor officiating is an old issue and affects everyone. Of much greater importance is that the team played hard down to the wire. If I were a Yale fan, I would have resented having to play this game at all given the Eli’s two regular season convincing wins.

On to next year.

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
03-17-19 02:34 PM - Post#281793    
    In response to Tiger69

Regarding Stephens - it was his addition to the starting lineup that made the difference with the 16-17 Tigers. That team was supposed to be a “top of cycle” team with seniors Weisz, Cook, Miller, Caruso and Brase, juniors Bell, Brennan and Young and fellow soph Cannady already established. But with Brase and Caruso going down with injuries, the team didn’t start to take off until Stephens became a starter.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.228 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:25 AM