Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Next year        (Topic#22906)
UPIA1968 
PhD Student
UPIA1968
Loc: Cornwall, PA
Reg: 11-20-06
03-16-19 04:32 PM - Post#281689    

I guess it time to officially start thinking about next year. I did my usual crude quantitative analysis based of KenPom and Verbal Commits. Here what I come up with:

Ending point. Obviously, Yale come off the strongest year although they finished weakly in the league. Remember, however that Penn, who has the second highest ranking, finished weakly too. Princeton was well back, then came the rest. The league overall was strong, but distinguished more by depth than the excellence of the best teams. Without the injuries to Towns, Penn’s three and the loss of Canady that probably would have been different.

Losses: Harvard has everybody back again. Dartmouth and Cornell also lose nobody important. For Penn it is all on defense between Antonio and Max. If one emphasizes defense, then perhaps Penn loses the most.

Injured returns: I am obviously missing some people from other teams but Penn is far ahead here in its expectations. Harvard comes next assuming Towns returns.

Recruits: Yale has the best single recruit, while Penn has the big guy and Harvard Ludlum. I put Penn equal to Yale given the apparent depth of the class, especially, because it is heavy on guards.

Composite: I rank Harvard slightly ahead of Penn given its returning all its important players and the potential contribution from Towns and the Frosh Ludlum. If they could find some outside shooting, it could be a very good team, assuming Towns is healthy. I think Penn has a major upside if Betley, Wang, and Jelani are healthy and if the big frosh can play. I rank Yale just behind Penn then a big gap to Princeton given the loss of Canady.

For the first time in a decade next year’s team should have significant athleticism at every starting position: AJ, Wang, Betley, Devon, Washington with Simmons, Williams and one or more of the Frosh guards coming off the bench. Such good fortune would give Donahue an upgrade at two or three starting positions and most of the bench. I suggest the bench strength could be very important. They had just three points off the bench against Harvard today. Put differently, next year’s team should be very good offensively. The jury is out, however, on defense. Still, given Max’s injuries, this year every position should be better on D except for Antonio’s replacement. Let’s hope this all comes true, because next year is clearly a peak year with AJ as a senior. Where inside scoring comes after that luxury we don’t know.

All in all a good year. The Big Five Championship was very sweet.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-16-19 06:06 PM - Post#281701    
    In response to UPIA1968

Cornell loses nobody important? How many teams in the league?

91Quake 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-22-04
03-16-19 06:09 PM - Post#281702    
    In response to UPIA1968

Cornell has one pretty important loss.

Ledlum is probably the best recruit.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
03-16-19 07:57 PM - Post#281710    
    In response to 91Quake

Silpe is also a significant loss. We need Jelani to come back 100%.

SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
03-16-19 08:54 PM - Post#281716    
    In response to Streamers

While I hope that Jelani will be able to make a contribution, it may take a while. Let’s remember - he hasn’t played competitive BBall in almost 3 years.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Re: Next year
03-17-19 12:08 AM - Post#281746    
    In response to UPIA1968

Who is the Yale recruit who is best in the league? Both recruits seem good, but they don’t look better than Ledlum to me. As for grad losses, I assume you meant somebody besides Cornell — they lose Morgan, so they lose the most in the league for sure.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
03-17-19 12:24 AM - Post#281748    
    In response to UPIA1968

No mention of the fact that in the incoming class the best players—and ones most likely to get early rotation minutes—are going to be the bigs, not the guards.

UPIA1968 
PhD Student
UPIA1968
Loc: Cornwall, PA
Reg: 11-20-06
03-17-19 06:43 PM - Post#281827    
    In response to Chip Bayers

I classify Betley as incoming and a guard - same with Jelani. Plus we have to replace two guards. That says new starting minutes will come to one big and two guards. I suppose one could say that Wang and Washington are returnees. Still only three players return from the seven who got significant time yesterday. Looks like there will be at five new faces in November, two, MLL and Wang will be bigs, the others guards.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
Next year
03-17-19 06:53 PM - Post#281828    
    In response to UPIA1968

Betley and Wang defined as “incoming” and “new faces.”

Got it.

Edited by Chip Bayers on 03-17-19 06:53 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
03-17-19 07:46 PM - Post#281836    
    In response to SomeGuy

Ledlum is the best recruit in the league, and it’s not particularly close. Penn’s probably got the other best class, along with Harvard. Other teams got a piece or two, but none of those pieces come close to Ledlum.

SomeGuy 
Professor

03-17-19 08:22 PM - Post#281839    
    In response to Chip Bayers

My list of who has the best chance to play immediately for Penn would start with Martz and Dingle. MLL is the highest rated, but he probably will need some refinement and would have to get past AJ, Simmons, and Wang for time, plus Betley if we play small. With 3 of our 4 rotation guards for the last few games all graduating, there will be room for at least 3 guys who were not playing at the end of this year to be in the rotation with Goodman. Obviously a healthy Betley is one. But after that, it should be very interesting and competitive.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
03-17-19 11:43 PM - Post#281862    
    In response to SomeGuy

Dingle looks like a player. I don't think we've ever had such a physical guard before.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
03-18-19 12:16 AM - Post#281865    
    In response to Penndemonium

In the presser before the ILT, Coach Donahue said "Jelani was our best player in Italy". If that's true and JWil returns to form, we will be set in the backcourt with Dev, JWil, Bryce, and 1-2 of the new kids.

I also think the late season emergence of Jarrod spells good things to come. He has to get in the gym and devote himself to strengthening his confidence in his game. Teamed with AJ and Mike, he could be a big time upgrade for Penn.

Of the new guys Max Martz and Jordan Dingle are the two I would expect to see minutes early.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
03-18-19 12:47 PM - Post#281922    
    In response to PennFan10

Jarrod has physically transformed himself this year and his skills are good enough to compete. I expect that he can continue to improve over the years in these areas. The parts that concern me about him has to do with his motor and game awareness. If he can keep working on the blocks at all times (similar to AJ), his potential is very high. He seems to be conserving energy too often to really stand out. That little bit of dirty work makes everything else (defense, rebounding, offense) just a bit easier.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.262 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:50 AM