Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: WBB vs. Harvard        (Topic#22909)
dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
03-16-19 07:05 PM - Post#281707    

Princeton up 46-27 on Cornell early in the 3rd Q. LBK didn't play much in the 1st half due to fouls, apparently.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Re: WBB vs. Harvard
03-16-19 07:20 PM - Post#281708    
    In response to dperry

Princeton up by 32 late in the 3rd and Tigers already clearing the bench. If we lose this thing because of the stomach flu in Cambridge, I'm going to be really annoyed.
David Perry
Penn '92

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
03-16-19 07:47 PM - Post#281709    
    In response to dperry

Princeton 68-47 with the third string in for most of the last 15 minutes. That was depressing.

Penn game will start about 8:15.
David Perry
Penn '92

Edited by dperry on 03-16-19 07:49 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
03-16-19 08:22 PM - Post#281714    
    In response to dperry

OK, game is currently not working on Roku but is working on ESPN3 online.
David Perry
Penn '92

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
WBB vs. Harvard
03-16-19 08:42 PM - Post#281715    
    In response to dperry

Penn closes out the first on an 12-0 run, lead 21-10. Good news: Russell already has as many points as she's scored in the last two weeks, including a 3. Agahyere had an incredible O-board and putback to start the run.
David Perry
Penn '92

Edited by dperry on 03-16-19 08:43 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylva...
Reg: 11-21-04
03-16-19 08:54 PM - Post#281717    
    In response to dperry

Exited and restarted Roku which is now working.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
03-16-19 08:54 PM - Post#281718    
    In response to dperry

Penn 37-18 at the media TO in the second. Things are going so well, Grasela actually got T'ed up for (allegedly) trash-talking. Got to keep going though; Harvard's going to get hot from 3 sooner or later.
David Perry
Penn '92

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
03-16-19 09:09 PM - Post#281720    
    In response to dperry

Penn 43-25 at half. Didn't do much the remainder of the quarter, but neither did the Crimson, and Parker got a nice long rest. Crawford made a tough rebound off a Russell miss, but missed the FT. Again, gotta keep the scoring going; Harvard will warm up sooner or later.
David Perry
Penn '92

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
03-16-19 09:32 PM - Post#281722    
    In response to dperry

56-34 at the 3rd Q media TO. Harvard is starting to heat up a bit, but so far we're more than keeping up with them. Parker and Agahyere starting to take over inside.
David Perry
Penn '92

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
03-16-19 09:43 PM - Post#281723    
    In response to dperry

And we close out the 3rd on a 7-0 to lead 65-39. Hopefully they can get a little farther ahead and start getting the bench in, although I have to say that McLaughlin's already done a pretty good job of minute management; seems like pretty much all of the important players have gotten an nice break at some point, and Parker's gotten 2.
David Perry
Penn '92

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
03-16-19 09:52 PM - Post#281726    
    In response to dperry

71-45 with just under 7 to go, and Harvard already over the limit.
David Perry
Penn '92

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
03-16-19 09:57 PM - Post#281727    
    In response to dperry

Harvard clearly trying to go for the Hack-a-Quake strategy; the only problem is, all the starters are going to foul out by the time it starts making a difference.
David Perry
Penn '92

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
03-16-19 10:06 PM - Post#281730    
    In response to dperry

And with a bit over 3 left, the bench has been cleared.
David Perry
Penn '92

palestra38 
Professor

03-16-19 10:11 PM - Post#281731    
    In response to dperry

How many people stayed for this game?

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
03-16-19 10:15 PM - Post#281733    
    In response to dperry

Final 91-65. This is not a typo. Do not adjust your set. Emily Addison with a skyhook near the end that would make Kareem proud.
David Perry
Penn '92

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
03-16-19 10:28 PM - Post#281736    
    In response to palestra38

Actually, it was a typo: actually 91-62.

• palestra38 Said:
How many people stayed for this game?

Wasn't there, so not totally sure, but looked like a couple hundred. Judging from the noise, decent number of Penn folks in attendance.
David Perry
Penn '92

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
03-16-19 11:17 PM - Post#281742    
    In response to dperry

OK, so in tonight's pool, who had Penn getting 91 and Princeton giving up only 47? :crickets: That's what I thought. Did not see that coming; clearly neither P taking any guff from the upstarts this evening. Looking at my keys for the game:

1.) Russell needs to play better? Check: 20 points on 8-12 shooting, including two threes, four assists.
2.) More people contributing on offense? Check: Tori Crawford had her best night as a Quaker with 12 and 6 boards, Grasela had two threes and eight points overall, and Jones was 12-13 from the line (if she ever learns how to finish her drives to the hole, she is going to tear this league up.)
3.) Play more man? Check: they were definitely doing that at several points, and Harvard only shot 9-33 from the arc, including Benzan going 4-13, which against them is an excellent performance.
4.) Other people shooting from 3 besides Sterba? Phoebe herself was only 1-5 from outside tonight (though she did throw in six boards) but overall they were 6-17, with all of the makes early to help open it up; this led to the trifecta of Parker, Agahyere, and Crawford getting 39 and 22 boards between them.
5.) Put the Crimson away early and get the starters some rest? Check plus: as mentioned during the game, while the bench only actually got cleared with three to go, the big early lead allowed MM to rotate people in and out; of the starters, only Russell went over 30 minutes. Furthermore, Harvard going over the limit so early in the 4th meant that there was a lot of stoppages, which helped compensate for the work they had to do to break the Crimson press.

Well, we have two teams tied for first, we have a playoff at a neutral site, and for one day at least, all is right with the world again. I feel a lot better; I can pretty much guarantee that if they shoot 54% and almost 80% from the line tomorrow, they will be reclaiming the trophy. That, of course, will be easier said than done. Princeton didn't have an overwhelming offensive night, but they just throttled the Red early, getting LBK in foul trouble in the first half, and Cornell never regained their form. Tomorrow, I'd like to see Penn play more man, continue to keep the three-point shooters quiet, and I'd like to see them really do well from the arc themselves. I hope they saved something for tomorrow, and in particular, I hope Parker was holding back tonight in preparation for playing Alarie. Let's see what happens!
David Perry
Penn '92

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
WBB vs. Harvard
03-16-19 11:54 PM - Post#281745    
    In response to dperry

I’m not sure I’ve seen a more bush league response to getting blown out than we saw from the entirety of the Harvard contingent in that game.

The whining by nearly every Harvard player on every foul call against them when they were down as much as 29. Leading up to a disqualifying tech for slamming the ball to the floor and screaming at the referee after a whistle on some obvious contact on an attempted steal.

The decision by the coach to keep the starters in, and full court press on, in the final two minutes after McLaughlin had emptied his bench.

And capped by the Harvard band deliberately jumping the gun and playing their school song at the buzzer to prevent the Penn Band from playing, even though the long-standing protocol at games where both bands are present is that the winning team goes first.

Dignity did not wear crimson (or on the floor, black trimmed with crimson) tonight.

Edited by Chip Bayers on 03-16-19 11:57 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
03-17-19 01:57 PM - Post#281783    
    In response to Chip Bayers

• Chip Bayers Said:

The whining by nearly every Harvard player on every foul call against them when they were down as much as 29. Leading up to a disqualifying tech for slamming the ball to the floor and screaming at the referee after a whistle on some obvious contact on an attempted steal.

I didn't mind what Redford fouled out on so much, because a.) granted, we only saw it from behind, but the initial foul looked dubious to me, and b.) after the eruption, they showed her getting a drink in the corner behind the bench, and she had a stunned "what did I just do" look on her face, after which she sat on the bench and covered her face with a towel. I therefore think she had the grace to be embarrassed about that one. The incident I was annoyed about was earlier, they were trying to trap Russell just over the half-court line, and Redford basically shoved her in the face and then had the temerity to complain about that; she was fortunate they didn't call a flagrant foul. Overall, if you're going to go for the aggressive press and steal strategy, you shouldn't be surprised if the refs are hyper-aware of fouls as a result.

• Quote:
The decision by the coach to keep the starters in, and full court press on, in the final two minutes after McLaughlin had emptied his bench.

Yeah, I have to wonder if Delaney-Smith is feeling some heat there; this is a team that has been recruiting well over the past few years, and has had some notable successes outside of conference recently, but then gets into league play and turns back into pumpkins. She may have lost it slightly.

• Quote:
And capped by the Harvard band deliberately jumping the gun and playing their school song at the buzzer to prevent the Penn Band from playing, even though the long-standing protocol at games where both bands are present is that the winning team goes first.

I don't know if Koosh went this weekend and can offer comment, but Harvard band, man. . .they look all classy in those blazers, but underneath. . .

• Quote:
Dignity did not wear crimson (or on the floor, black trimmed with crimson) tonight.

Yeah, even Banghart hasn't gone to the black unis very much lately.
David Perry
Penn '92

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
03-17-19 02:24 PM - Post#281788    
    In response to dperry

• dperry Said:

I don't know if Koosh went this weekend and can offer comment, but Harvard band, man. . .they look all classy in those blazers, but underneath ...

Greer was there, and walked the length of the court to make the point up close and personally.

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.288 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:43 PM