Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 4 1234
Username Post: George Washington - James Jones Rumor        (Topic#22923)
besnoah 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-14-05
03-18-19 07:11 PM - Post#281961    

Jeff Goodman reports that James Jones is one of 3 names he is hearing for GW's head coaching job along with John Thompson III and UMBC's Ryan Odom.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1 107709177...

Edited by besnoah on 03-18-19 07:13 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
03-18-19 08:23 PM - Post#281968    
    In response to besnoah

You'd think they'd have to have a heck of a financial package to get Jones to leave Yale. Move to a worse conference, to a school farther down that conference's food chain, and have to recruit without the cachet of Yale? JTIII on the other hand, might think it just the thing if he wants to get back into the game.

mobrien 
Senior

Loc: New York
Reg: 04-18-17
03-18-19 09:24 PM - Post#281977    
    In response to SRP

I can't imagine that Jones would leave Yale for GW. He's been there so long, and has had such a great run the last five years that you'd think it would take a good offer from a decent Power Six program to get him to even seriously think about going somewhere else.

GW ain't it.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
03-18-19 09:33 PM - Post#281979    
    In response to SRP

Leaving aside the tough times for the program post Lonergan, GW’s got a decent amount of history being an NCAA and NIT team - some of which is pretty recent. They’ve got a nice arena. There’s no reason they couldn’t have success in that conference. I wouldn’t be stunned if it happened, to be honest.

Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylva...
03-18-19 09:40 PM - Post#281981    
    In response to mrjames

Necessary questions regarding James Jones and the GW coaching position:

1. When does James' current contract expire? Might a flirtation with GW be a contract extension ploy?

2. How much is James being paid by Yale and what is the salary that is being offered by GW?

JadwinGeorge 
Senior

Reg: 12-04-15
03-19-19 07:47 AM - Post#282005    
    In response to Stuart Suss

Losing Copeland, Phills and Reynolds might suggest to him that this is a good time to go make some real money, but I doubt this is the move he would make. He needs to pull no "ploys" at Yale. I am sure he can stay there forever.

palestra38 
Professor

03-19-19 08:09 AM - Post#282011    
    In response to Stuart Suss

I think you may be right---whatever Jones is getting is nowhere near to the package Amaker gets and Yale has now gotten into the NCAAs twice since Amaker last got Harvard there. I don't think Yale would want to lose him for money. He has some solid leverage if that is what he is choosing to do.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
03-19-19 09:08 AM - Post#282018    
    In response to palestra38

Jones is an excellent coach and I would want him for my program. He appears to be a no nonsense tough minded guy who has recruited well. One question mark relates to how well his teams play defense but they are traditionally an excellent offensive team. The team shares the ball willingly and moves the ball.

This year's team did take their foot off the pedal this year after clinching an IvyMadness spot which is a concern. I do not know if there was any discussion on the topic over the weekend on the IvyMadness broadcasts. It may have cost the Bulldogs a #13 seed as to how they finished the season.

I have no idea but best guess is that he stays at Yale. Who knows but it would not surprise me if Oni stays for his senior year which might help in his decision making process.

GW would be very lucky to get him. IL is going to have to pay good coaches if they are going to achieve two bid status.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
03-19-19 10:28 AM - Post#282028    
    In response to bradley

After Yale won the Ivy Tournament, NBC Sports College Basketball Talk mentioned that high academic schools like GW, Tulane and Cal should be looking at Jones. Right now, GW and Tulane have openings and the Cal position remains filled.

Here is something from the Tulane AD Troy Dannen, who has been at Tulane for the last 8 months:
https://www.nola.com/tulane/2019/03/what-d oes-tula...

- The next coach at Tulane will have strong college credentials, the Tulane athletic director said Saturday (March 16) as he discussed the dismissal of former coach Mike Dunleavy Sr. after three losing seasons.

Dunleavy came to the school in March 2016 with zero college experience after an NBA coaching career that covered more than 1,300 games.

“Whenever you terminate a coach, almost invariably you hire the opposite,” Dannen said. “I’m not saying we’re hiring the opposite, but my focus is going to be on sitting college head coaches, those who have been sitting college coaches and I’m sure there will be a couple of elite-level assistants in there as well. If I have 20 guys in mind, 15 of them will be coaching in the NCAA tournament next week in one form or another and the rest will have coached in the NCAA tournament. That’s my focus to start.” -

- “We have six or seven schools in this league who are basketball-first schools who have great traditional, historical success and made great investments,” Dannen said. “And we’re trying to catch them.”

Tulane hopes to have a new coach before the Final Four begins April 6, but the school will not conduct an interview unless that candidate’s season is complete, Dannen said.

“There are some people I can start talking to on Monday that are not in the tournament,” Dannen said. “Certainly I would like to have it done by the Final Four but there may be circumstances that prevent that.” -

- “We need to up our level of recruiting,” Dannen said. “That will obviously be a primary focus of whoever I turn to as the next head coach. We have to catch up. We’ve got a good young core, and it is a young core, but we need more of them and we to surround them at all five positions and make sure we have talent across the board.” -

NBC Sports notes JT III connection to the GW job, but they have some other information:
https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/ncaa/candi dat...

- Despite Joseph’s best efforts, connections to the previous regime hovered over his three seasons. The firing allows the school to move finally forward under the direction of GW president Thomas LeBlanc and promote specific advantages including the fertile recruiting area.

The Colonials have reached the NCAA Tournament only four times in the last 20 seasons and once since the 2013-14 campaign.

According to data provided by the U.S. Department of Education, GW’s 2016 budget for the men’s basketball program ($2.94 million) ranked below the Atlantic 10 Conference average of $4.3 million and 13th among the league’s 14 teams. The 2018-19 numbers are comparable, according to a source.

Thompson’s individual salary alone at Georgetown, based on published reports, topped GW’s 2016 basketball budget.

The sense from the Foggy Bottom campus has the University invested in program stability and becoming and a year in, year out winner, with the search focusing on current D1 head coaches or assistants at high majors with significant postseason experience.

Bowling Green head coach Michael Huger, Louisiana Tech head coach Eric Konkol and Duke assistant coach Nate James are among the other likely candidates, NBC Sports Washington has learned.

Several of the other potential candidates have ties to University of Miami head coach Jim Larranaga. LeBlanc served as executive vice president and provost at Miami from 2005 until his move to GW in 2017.

Huger and Konkol are both former Larranaga assistants at George Mason. Huger, 48, directed Bowling Green to a 22-12 record in his fourth season. Konkol, 83-49 during his four seasons with Louisiana Tech, led the Bulldogs to a 20-13 record this season.

James, a D.C. native, won an NCAA championship at Duke in 2001 and served on Mike Krzyzewski's coaching staff since 2007.

Other potential candidates include Miami assistant Chris Caputo and UMBC head coach Ryan Odom. -

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
03-19-19 10:45 AM - Post#282034    
    In response to rbg

At age 55, this might be his last chance to take the leap—3 years younger than Dunph when he made the Temple move (and putting aside the “shoved rather than jumped” drama between Dunph and Bilsky).

rbg 
Postdoc

03-19-19 11:42 AM - Post#282051    
    In response to Chip Bayers

Richmond might have been an intriguing option, but the school has confirmed that they are bringing former Princeton player Chris Mooney back for his 15th season. The Spiders have missed the NCAA Tournament for 8 consecutive seasons.

https://wtvr.com/2019/03/18/chris-moon ey-returns-t...

HGA 
Sophomore

Reg: 10-16-18
03-19-19 04:47 PM - Post#282119    
    In response to rbg

Heard the GW job will go to JT III

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
03-19-19 04:58 PM - Post#282121    
    In response to HGA

• HGA Said:
Heard the GW job will go to JT III

If true, would be great for DC to see some Georgetown-GW matchups!!

mrjames 
Professor

03-19-19 05:13 PM - Post#282124    
    In response to Go Green

I mean, no offense to James, who deserves a shot at the A10 level, but if GW can get JT3, they gotta do it.

palestra38 
Professor

03-19-19 06:51 PM - Post#282139    
    In response to mrjames

I would hire Jones over JTIII. But I think Jones could do better.

HGA 
Sophomore

Reg: 10-16-18
03-20-19 03:31 PM - Post#282235    

Why leave Yale for GW....other than money??

mrjames 
Professor

03-20-19 04:17 PM - Post#282246    
    In response to HGA

Why does it have to be for anything other than money? Money's kind of important.

Lonergan was reportedly getting paid $800K. If you can get a five-year, close to $5M deal and you're 55, why not take your shot and know that you'll either be successful or be set to retire if you aren't.

palestra38 
Professor

03-20-19 04:23 PM - Post#282248    
    In response to mrjames

Amaker gets a better package than that. Yale cannot match Harvard?

rbg 
Postdoc

03-20-19 04:33 PM - Post#282249    

GW should have gone after Jones in 2016, when they were last looking for a coach. I still think they would be lucky to have him, but I would be really cautious if I were him.

I have looked at that school twice over the last few years when my kids were doing the college search and GW just seems financially mismanaged. They brought in a new President from the University of Miami and he does seem to be making it more fiscally disciplined, but I think he has a ways to go. As a result, I am not sure what they are going to pay and how well they are going to financially support their A-10 program.

rbg 
Postdoc

03-20-19 04:38 PM - Post#282251    
    In response to rbg

Tulane is another potential place, but Jones name has not popped up there.

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/sports/tu l...

The names, so far, for that job are former Mississippi coach Andy Kennedy, Drake coach Darien DeVries and Purdue Assistant (and former Tulane player) Greg Gary

Page 1 of 4 1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.21 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:34 AM