Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 2 of 10 <2345>» Last
Username Post: Nate Sestina grad transfer        (Topic#22931)
Old Bison 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-09-17
03-27-19 05:56 PM - Post#282901    
    In response to bison63

Are you telling me that’ there a new AD in Truax and he doesn’t have enough juice to go to the Administration and the Trustees and address this policy when every other school in the PL does this very thing. Someone confirm to me that he was told “no way” by the school and my first call is to Chris O’Brien to ask the Board to address this issue. So you’re telling me the kid wants to stay and play and take courses and the school is throwing him out!!!! The kid has a year of eligibility and Bucknell should honor it if that’s the case. Like I said...loyalty is a two way street.

Old Bison 
Masters Student

03-27-19 05:59 PM - Post#282902    
    In response to Old Bison

The whole thing stinks and now we’re addressing this situation on an Internet Board...did everybody involved not know we were going to come to this fork in the road three years ago?

BeckyBison91 
Freshman

Reg: 05-03-11
03-27-19 06:12 PM - Post#282904    
    In response to Old Bison

Didn't Stephen Tyree get a medical red shirt grad year? How did that happen?

BeckyBison91

Old Bison 
Masters Student

03-27-19 06:16 PM - Post#282905    
    In response to Old Bison

Furthermore, Lehigh’s taking JUCO transfers and Colgate is taking a kid from BGSU on top of the other transfer. Last time I looked Bowling Green’s admissions acceptance rate was 75%. I can tell you it’s a lot less risky playing the transfer game than putting up with the vagaries of the recruiting process. Having the best facilities in the PL will only last so long. It’s a dirty game. I’m not suggesting we get dirty but enough of the holier than thou crap.

Old Bison 
Masters Student

03-27-19 06:16 PM - Post#282906    
    In response to Old Bison

Tx u Becky

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
03-27-19 07:01 PM - Post#282911    
    In response to Old Bison

• Old Bison Said:
Someone confirm to me that he was told “no way” by the school and my first call is to Chris O’Brien to ask the Board to address this issue.

In case anyone else was, like me, wondering who Chris O'Brien is:
https://www.bucknell.edu/news-and-media/curren t-ne...

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
03-27-19 07:11 PM - Post#282913    
    In response to BeckyBison91

• BeckyBison91 Said:

According to a post by Bison137 on the Cross message board, Tyree never finished the degree. If so, that may have helped poison the well for future Bison ballers.

For what it's worth, in an interview with Birdsong late in the season, Sestina spoke of his desire to graduate with his classmates and move on to something new.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
03-27-19 07:21 PM - Post#282914    
    In response to Old Bison

• Old Bison Said:
Are you telling me that’ there a new AD in Truax and he doesn’t have enough juice to go to the Administration and the Trustees and address this policy when every other school in the PL does this very thing. Someone confirm to me that he was told “no way” by the school and my first call is to Chris O’Brien to ask the Board to address this issue. So you’re telling me the kid wants to stay and play and take courses and the school is throwing him out!!!! The kid has a year of eligibility and Bucknell should honor it if that’s the case. Like I said...loyalty is a two way street.

I have no idea if he tried to fight his way through the process and failed, but I don't think that happened. However Bucknell has made it extremely difficult for players in any sport to return for a 5th year. MUCH harder than it is for any other PL school. As I pointed out earlier, football has had zero 5th year players for the last 15+ years. Every other PL school has had over 40 and many over 50. Some very good athletes tried to get a 5th year and failed in other sports.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Nate Sestina grad transfer
03-27-19 07:23 PM - Post#282915    
    In response to Old Bison

• Old Bison Said:
Furthermore, Lehigh’s taking JUCO transfers and Colgate is taking a kid from BGSU on top of the other transfer. Last time I looked Bowling Green’s admissions acceptance rate was 75%. I can tell you it’s a lot less risky playing the transfer game than putting up with the vagaries of the recruiting process. Having the best facilities in the PL will only last so long. It’s a dirty game. I’m not suggesting we get dirty but enough of the holier than thou crap.

The transfer from Bowling Green had a Bucknell offer, among others, out of HS. His grades and SAT's were good. He also had at least three offers from Ivy League schools.

Having said that, taking transfers is a way to possibly game the AI system. But only if you take sophomore transfers. Freshmen still get evaluated using the AI, which uses HS SAT/GPA.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-27-19 07:25 PM - Post#282916    
    In response to BeckyBison91

• BeckyBison91 Said:

Yes, he did. But it took a very long time to gain approval and in a program he likely had little interest in. Since that time it has become harder. And it's even harder to get approval to stretch one's academic program out over five years by doing a double major. That is done in some PL schools.

Old Bison 
Masters Student

03-27-19 07:25 PM - Post#282917    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

Ok...so I’m back to my original post...he was happy to take his four years for free but it’s time for greener pastures (I.e., more exposure). So what’s the deal...did the University day no or the kid say no? I’ve held my powder because I thought the kid was going overseas and he owes nothing to me obviously, or the University either. However, if he’s going to the UoK then it’s a different story. At that stage he owes the University everything. That’s loyalty, that’s the way it works if you grew up in my world.

Old Bison 
Masters Student

03-27-19 07:30 PM - Post#282918    
    In response to Old Bison

My point about transfers is it’s a lot easier to reduce the “hit or miss” aspect of recruiting if you take transfers two years later. Admissions is a separate issue

Old Bison 
Masters Student

03-27-19 07:40 PM - Post#282921    
    In response to Old Bison

And I’ll also go back to my original point about loyalty being a two way street. If the kid has an extra year of eligibility through no fault of his own then the University’s position is unsupportable. The kid accepted a scholarship to play ball in tandem with getting a degree. If he has a year of eligibility left than he is a senior with respect to his original agreement to compete athletically at the NCAA D1 level. How can the University prohibit that. If he’s qualified academically for admission to the grad school than the University’s position would be laughed at in a court of law. He’s being discriminated against and not being allowed to fulfill his potential under the terms of his scholarship. I’m no lawyer but if he takes Buck to court he kicks the school’s butt if I’m on that jury.

DrBison 
Junior

Reg: 12-22-08
03-27-19 07:57 PM - Post#282923    
    In response to Old Bison

I have been told that the faculty and administration are both very strongly opposed to 5th year for athletes. Also the issue of scholarship availability plays into it.

Old Bison 
Masters Student

03-27-19 08:01 PM - Post#282924    
    In response to DrBison

They’re strongly opposed....FOR REAL?

DrBison 
Junior

Reg: 12-22-08
03-27-19 08:08 PM - Post#282925    
    In response to Old Bison

Yes, for real. And the coaches and athletes are aware of this.

Old Bison 
Masters Student

03-27-19 08:13 PM - Post#282926    
    In response to DrBison

If pressed in a court of law the university would lose. That means they are abrogating the original implied contract that encompasses FOUR years. It’s not constitutional if he has the bonafides for admission to the graduate school. It’s clearly discriminatory and based on a “philosophy”? There’s an original implied contract! Who’s a lawyer out there?

Old Bison 
Masters Student

03-27-19 08:22 PM - Post#282928    
    In response to Old Bison

Actually, the contract is not implied it’s manifest. Furthermore, it’s so high profile that it will now be used against Buck in recruiting. You don’t think Brett Reid will mention “btw, if you blow out your knee at Buck you better reach the 1,000!pt club in 3 years”!

Bison54 
PhD Student
Bison54
Reg: 11-18-09
03-27-19 09:09 PM - Post#282929    
    In response to Old Bison

I would indeed like to see Nate back for year 5.
But the contract was to provide 4 years of education and presumably an opportunity to earn a degree. If a man is eligible to play a sort for an additional year, I don't see an obligation to provide a scholarship for that fifth year. If the 5th year happens, it would need to be by mutual consent.

BTW, I believe Steven Tyreee did receive that 5th year scholarship. Also, transfer Brian Fitzpatrick had a year of eligibility remaining when he graduated, and did play that fifth year. I also understand that the only year for which Brian received a scholly was that graduate year. Note that Nate and Brian both played in the shadow of outstanding centers until their final years.

res 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-21-06
03-27-19 09:27 PM - Post#282930    
    In response to Bison54

The contract isn't even for four years. Scholarships are awarded annually. There is no guarantee beyond that. Schools can, and do, "pull" scholarships from players all the time. The reason it doesn't happen more frequently is that going to that well too often obviously can obviously kill future recruiting.

Page 2 of 10 <2345>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.476 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:01 PM