Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 3 of 10 « First<3456>» Last
Username Post: Nate Sestina grad transfer        (Topic#22931)
Doktore K 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-11-09
03-27-19 09:37 PM - Post#282931    
    In response to Old Bison

Old Bison: If you are questioning Nate Sestina's loyalty and what he has given Bucknell over the past 4 years, then we are in different worlds. He does not owe Bucknell another year. He has graduated, and while on the court he played great, he played hurt, and he is a fine young man. I'll root for him wherever he ends up.

Sure I'd like to see him battle Colgate for another year but he has earned the right to move on and play where he wants.

On the overall point of Bucknell athletes and 5th year eligibility vs. the rest of the PL, I do heartily agree with you. We need to be open to that. Let the Board of Trustees hear your views loud and clear on that one.

Scotty-14 
Sophomore

Reg: 10-10-18
03-27-19 11:25 PM - Post#282933    
    In response to Doktore K

Assuming that Nate made this decision within the last 6 months, which by all accounts he did, with 4 recruits coming in next year there are no more scholarships left. A true Bucknell fan should be excited that one of their players has the opportunity to play for one of the most prestigious programs in the country. If Nate feels going to a Blue Blood is the best route for him, then we should all support him. He has worked extremely hard and been a standout teammate, earning this tremendous opportunity. This is the reason the Bucknell Coaching Staff is supporting and guiding him in this process. He has earned the freedom to have a first class experience at a blue blood, let him have it.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
03-27-19 11:29 PM - Post#282934    
    In response to Old Bison

• Old Bison Said:
It’s not constitutional if he has the bonafides for admission to the graduate school.

Accuracy: F
Melodrama: A++

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
Nate Sestina grad transfer
03-28-19 12:12 AM - Post#282935    
    In response to Old Bison

• Old Bison Said:
And I’ll also go back to my original point about loyalty being a two way street. If the kid has an extra year of eligibility through no fault of his own then the University’s position is unsupportable. The kid accepted a scholarship to play ball in tandem with getting a degree. If he has a year of eligibility left than he is a senior with respect to his original agreement to compete athletically at the NCAA D1 level. How can the University prohibit that. If he’s qualified academically for admission to the grad school than the University’s position would be laughed at in a court of law. He’s being discriminated against and not being allowed to fulfill his potential under the terms of his scholarship. I’m no lawyer but if he takes Buck to court he kicks the school’s butt if I’m on that jury.

If an athlete could make a strong case for really wanting the Master's degree - as opposed to simply wanting to do the program to gain another year of eligibility - it likely wouldn't be a problem. However Bucknell offers very few Master's programs - mostly Education and Engineering - which is a big issue. Last year there was a total of 31 grad students admitted.

Bucknell offers very few Master's programs - mostly Education and Engineering - which is a big issue. Most athletes do not have strong credentials to get into one of those two programs. Last year there were a total of 31 grad students admitted in all departments combined.

Stephen Tyree went for some sort of Educational administration program, but I don't think his interest level was very high. And it took a LONG time for him to gain admission since he was not an Education major.

As for Bucknell's position in a court of law, they would be on extremely strong ground. First, the athletes we are discussing all are going to earn their degrees in four years. Bucknell didn't promise anyone a 5th year once they had completed their degree. Secondly, in most cases, athletic scholarships have a one-year duration. Bucknell normally honors it for four years, as they should, but there is nothing in writing that makes it automatically renewable for as long as the athlete likes.

Having said this, it is clear that other PL schools have a lot less integrity than Bucknell when it comes to OK'ing a 5th year for an athlete. There are numerous 5th year athletes in many PL sports every year - but virtually none are from Bucknell. The only exception would be an athlete who transferred in (rare), who requires five years to fulfill graduation requirements. Or the very rare case (Alex Pechin) of a five-year engineer.

If Bucknell wanted to level the playing field, it would need to start being reasonable about athletes taking on a second major, with a curriculum that would carry into a fifth year. That would solve the problem of having almost no relevant graduate programs.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-28-19 12:14 AM - Post#282936    
    In response to Bison137

Duplicate Post

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-28-19 12:22 AM - Post#282937    
    In response to Old Bison

• Old Bison Said:
My point about transfers is it’s a lot easier to reduce the “hit or miss” aspect of recruiting if you take transfers two years later. Admissions is a separate issue

Well, one of your points was that Bowling Green is a weak school with very easy admission standards, implying Colgate was doing an end run around the AI by taking a transfer from there. As it turns out, that athlete is more than qualified for the PL academically.

If you had brought up Murphy Burnatowski, you might have been on firmer ground. Ed Porter, who Lehigh brought in from a Juco, might be another example. He fit in under the AI, but promptly became academically ineligible as a biology major. Now he has switched to sociology.

BisonFan4 
Junior

Reg: 12-30-16
03-28-19 12:23 AM - Post#282938    
    In response to Bison137

Thank you Doktore K & Scotty! I can't believe the bull.s.hit I'm reading on this post regarding Nate and his "loyalty" to Bucknell & all that nonsense. A true fan would be happy for him & wish him well on his next journey. Nate doesn't come from $ so without a scholarship there would be no 5th yr and Bucknell didn't have or bother to save one for him if he decided to play his 5th yr in Lewisburg

Edited by BisonFan4 on 03-28-19 12:24 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
03-28-19 08:04 AM - Post#282943    
    In response to BisonFan4

My sister got her Master of Arts in English. 😂 Trust me, she questions the relevancy to this day.

Nate should do what is best for Nate. Period. He’s owes us nothing and we owe him our thanks for being such a hard worker and bringing us joy. He’s living his life and we are watching basketball. Let’s get some perspective.

Old Bison 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-09-17
03-28-19 08:40 AM - Post#282945    
    In response to BisonFan4

Hey BF4 and Scotty ((whoever the hell you are) what the hell would you know about being a true fan? Did you play for the program? Do you support it financially? Do the kids that graduate call you and ask you to help them in their careers? As far as the solid ground legally issue are you telling me that if Nate Sestina applied to the graduate level Masters program and the University denied admission then this would be a just decision? Assuming they didn’t he is then eligible to play NCAA basketball. If they deny him admission when he has a track record and exemplary academic record at the same institution then clearly the normal admission process and criteria has been short circuited based on external criteria That’s discriminatory and I don’t believe for a minute that such a case in a court of law is a weak one. I’m not a lawyer but I’ll stand on my original position The issue of a scholarship is a joke. He doesn’t NEED a scholarship. He doesn’t need to take a full load of courses. That’s how Masters degrees work. I would think that 80-90% of MBA candidates take a limited load at night after work. Students work in the day and go to school at night. There are for rent signs all over Lburg. You could get a small apt for 300-500 a month. They’re are guys who played at Buck working at local banks (he can’t get a PT internship). Also it’s now pointed out that others received a scholarship in a fifth year as well. There are guys doing basketball training by me that do not have Nate’s background and are getting a $100 for an hour and a half and are running some sessions with as many as 6-8 kids at a time. Here’s the point, when Nate needed the school and a scholarship Bucknell was there for him and it was an amazing “get” for him. Now he’s still able to represent and he’s too big a fish for Bucknell’s small pond. What does playing a fifth year at UK provide that Buck doesn’t other than being on CBS and ESPN? You’re all out of your mind. I don’t know how Jay Wright and Villanova University will ever recover there reputations after allowing Phil Booth to play a 5th year but I do know one thing: the last fthing the UoK needs is another f-ing basketball player. If the shoe fit for 4 years then it should fit for 5 and I stand by my original position that that’s how real loyalty works. So it’s his last year and he know longer likes his chances getting back to the NCAA’s as a bison. What a crock of crap

Old Bison 
Masters Student

03-28-19 08:42 AM - Post#282946    
    In response to Old Bison

I also agree that Nate should do what’s best for Nate but the whole thing smells “if you’re a real fan”

Old Bison 
Masters Student

03-28-19 08:46 AM - Post#282948    
    In response to Old Bison

BRW - if that’s your best shot you better sharpen up your writing pencil. At least I get a laugh out of you. 😄

Old Bison 
Masters Student

03-28-19 08:48 AM - Post#282949    
    In response to Old Bison

Boy, all the Marine crap went out the window in lieu of a Kentucky jersey

Old Bison 
Masters Student

03-28-19 09:02 AM - Post#282950    
    In response to Old Bison

And I stand by my other original position that if the University is refusing the kid an opportunity to stay and play then it’s a real negative for recruiting because all kids get hurt and a bunch of other PL schools all work to assist kids that get hurt. Boston U, Lehigh & HC have had a bunch of them in hoop

BisonFan4 
Junior

Reg: 12-30-16
03-28-19 09:23 AM - Post#282951    
    In response to Old Bison

What does playing for the program or supporting it financially or helping graduates have to do with being a FAN?! You are delusional. Playing a 5th yr at a power 5 school such as Kentucky gives him more exposure, allows him to develop his skills more & improve on weaknesses and put him in a better position to achieve his ultimate goal, the NBA. Anyone here in his situation would jump at the chance to play for a major basketball powerhouse if they heavily pursued you & offered a scholarship for a 5th yr. If you say otherwise you're full of it. & yes he does need a scholarship for his 5th yr. Between classes, practices, workouts, team meetings etc. please tell me when he would have time to work a job to pay for grad school. & what exactly are you referring to with the Marine comments, about"pulling the Marine card" & "all the Marine crap went out the window..."?? Nate's brothers are Marines & he has the utmost respect and admiration for them, what does that have to do with anything?

Maryland Bison 
Freshman

Reg: 04-20-18
03-28-19 09:30 AM - Post#282952    
    In response to Old Bison

Nate likely would have stayed, but Bucknell didn't let him. Not sure what's so hard to understand there.

If you have someone at Bucknell to complain to... please do so.

Edited by Maryland Bison on 03-28-19 09:32 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Old Bison 
Masters Student

03-28-19 09:37 AM - Post#282954    
    In response to BisonFan4

Being a fan and posting on a web site is worth crap. I’m a supporter first and a fan second. These programs aren’t automatically sustainable...that’s what my delusion is all about and I take it as a given that your answer to all 3 of my questions is a NO. Why are you even on the board? All opinion and no sweat, no support and no opportunity cost. More opinions will surely get the program where it needs to stay and go. Are you one of the guys that the coaching staff sucks every time the kids shoot 20% from 3

Old Bison 
Masters Student

03-28-19 09:46 AM - Post#282955    
    In response to Old Bison

Furthermore, your premise is that the ONLY WAY the kid can go to the NBA is if he plays at Kentucky. Ja Morant is going to be drafted in the top five from Murray State. He didn’t need to transfer to Kentucky. If the kids a pro he’s a pro and a year at UoK doesn’t make him a pro. Also, if he blows his knee out next year in the preseason then he’ll learn a lot about loyalty at Kentucky

Old Bison 
Masters Student

03-28-19 10:15 AM - Post#282957    
    In response to Old Bison

Maryland Bison...thank you. I’m curious as to whether that’s your opinion or you have knowledge that is a fact? It was where I originally started with my first post. Did the University not accommodate the opportunity or structure for Nate to stay, OR did Nate never express the desire to stay and inquire as to its feasibility. I’ve been arguing both sides of the equation on a hypothetical basis. If the University forced him to move on then I’m disappointed in the University given the nature of the kid. If the kid is transferring to Kentucky on his own he’s being naive and I’m disappointed in the kid. The ONLY thing BF4 got right is this is all about exposure. If that’s the case the kid missed his Bucknell education

crd012 
Junior

Reg: 12-02-12
03-28-19 10:22 AM - Post#282958    
    In response to Old Bison

This has gotten a bit ridiculous. Look Bucknell doesn't really have a graduate program for him so it was never really an option.

But are we really blaming a kid who was at Bucknell played four years, was a great teammate and player and now looking elsewhere, when he can't play here anymore? Furthermore, are we also blaming him for being attracted to a place that is all about basketball? Let's be honest here, at Kentucky he will have better facilities, better coaching, and better competition. Furthermore, Reid Travis did the same thing last year from Stanford. I think a lot of us watch a lot of college basketball, you can't honestly say that his exposure isn't better by going to Kentucky than compared to doing a 5th year at Stanford.

I don't generally root for Kentucky, but if Nate is on the team I will. I don't feel slighted by him leaving, I feel more proud honestly. No need to bash him.

Edited by crd012 on 03-28-19 10:23 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Old Bison 
Masters Student

03-28-19 11:00 AM - Post#282960    
    In response to crd012

BF4...the difference between you and me is that I will be here another 20 years and you're gone once Nate's gone. As far as I'm concerned you don't get an opinion. OK

crd12...with all due respect please read my post to Maryland Bison...its not ridiculous. I'm trying to discern (on a factual basis) what has transpired here. If this is University policy we need a period of enlightenment. As I said previously, do you think Villanova will get less applicants this year because Phil Booth played 5 YEARS. The only one as stupid as me are the priests at Villanova! This is thankfully my last post on this issue.

Page 3 of 10 « First<3456>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.178 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:43 AM