Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 4 of 10 « First<4567>» Last
Username Post: Nate Sestina grad transfer        (Topic#22931)
Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
03-28-19 11:02 AM - Post#282961    
    In response to Old Bison

• Old Bison Said:
And I stand by my other original position that if the University is refusing the kid an opportunity to stay and play then it’s a real negative for recruiting because all kids get hurt and a bunch of other PL schools all work to assist kids that get hurt. Boston U, Lehigh & HC have had a bunch of them in hoop

They have each had a few. Note however that Lehigh and Boston U have extensive graduate schools, which enables players to find programs that benefit them. Bucknell does not, unfortunately. Holy Cross does not have a grad school, but allows double majors. I think their only five-year player in the last 15 years was Andrew Keister.

As I said before, having very few grad programs makes it difficult for all involved. Most either are unqualified for the few grad programs available or have no interest. Would be simpler if Bucknell simply let athletes who want to use up their eligibility add a second major and take a 5th year if that is what they wanted.

As for loyalty, maybe you could make that case if Bucknell had extensive grad programs and offered its athletes as useful a grad degree as they could get somewhere else - but they don't. Many PL graduate transfers have ended up with free MBA's. That is something that is valuable and unavailable at Bucknell.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-28-19 11:04 AM - Post#282962    
    In response to Old Bison

• Old Bison Said:
BF4...the difference between you and me is that I will be here another 20 years and you're gone once Nate's gone. As far as I'm concerned you don't get an opinion. OK

That's a bit silly. His opinion obviously comes from a different place, but it is certainly relevant.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-28-19 11:07 AM - Post#282963    
    In response to Old Bison

• Old Bison Said:
Did the University not accommodate the opportunity or structure for Nate to stay, OR did Nate never express the desire to stay and inquire as to its feasibility.

What if he simply became aware that the few available Bucknell grad programs didn't work for him because of his major and career interests?

A better case to talk about might be star wrestler Tom Sleigh, who apparently wanted to return to use up his last year of eligibility but was unable to do so.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
Nate Sestina grad transfer
03-28-19 11:17 AM - Post#282965    
    In response to Old Bison

• Old Bison Said:
Being a fan and posting on a web site is worth crap. I’m a supporter first and a fan second. These programs aren’t automatically sustainable...that’s what my delusion is all about and I take it as a given that your answer to all 3 of my questions is a NO. Why are you even on the board? All opinion and no sweat, no support and no opportunity cost.

Here, Old Bison veers from being comically curmudgeonly to outright rude.

I'm certain I know who BisonFan4 is. If so, I'd bet he attended more Bucknell games this season than anyone here.

I saw him in gyms from Vermont to California and many places in between. His support no doubt entailed significant personal expense, long hours on the road and the necessity to alter his work schedule. In other words, your accusation that he is "all sweat, no support and no opportunity cost" is 180 degrees wrong and frankly disgraceful.

Old Bison, your financial and other support of the program is laudable. It's a shame, though, that your passion would lead you to lash out at BisonFan4 without any basis for your accusation.

Old Bison 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-09-17
03-28-19 11:25 AM - Post#282966    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

BRW - why do you keep missing the forest for the trees. He's supporting Nate exclusively. If Nate was at Penn State he would have been in different states and different gyms. So my comment is not disgraceful. I'm making the distinction that my only interest is in the program, the kids, and the University whereas BF4's only interest is Nate. That's a big distinction --- wake up. That thankfully is my last post on the matter for the second time until someone else pisses me off to no end with an inane contribution

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
Nate Sestina grad transfer
03-28-19 11:33 AM - Post#282967    
    In response to Old Bison

• Old Bison Said:
That thankfully is my last post on the matter for the second time until someone else pisses me off to no end with an inane contribution

Says the guy who claimed the U.S. Constitution--in addition to protecting the human rights of armed self-defense, due process and free speech--assures Bucknell scholarship basketball players a redshirt year.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
03-28-19 11:55 AM - Post#282973    
    In response to Old Bison

Old Bison, I appreciate your passion and commitment to the program. NOBODY, except for one misguided poster above, has doubts regarding if you are a "true fan" or not. We have talked in person and shared a meal together. So, I know that you truly care about the program.

I think that there are certain limitations to what Bucknell can do largely due to the size of the school which contributes to their being very few graduate degree programs. If Bucknell had a couple of thousand graduate students in 50+ programs, IMO, it would make sense to have more Redshirt Seniors who were pursuing graduate degrees, but unfortunately, that is not the case. I do not think that this will change anytime soon.

As for Nate, IMO, he has worked hard for 4 years, contributed to the program, and is on pace to graduate in 4 years. I do not think that we can ask much more. At this point, if he wants to pursue a graduate degree elsewhere and basketball helps him to do this, then, by all means, go for it. It is his life, and if he were one of my sons, I would advise him to make the decision that will put him in the best position to succeed in life.

GO NATE!
New season, new team, new dream . . .

BisonFan4 
Junior

Reg: 12-30-16
03-28-19 07:18 PM - Post#283011    
    In response to Bison89

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. & no when Nate is gone I'll still be cheering on Bucknell! I am a fan of college basketball in general & after spending the past 4yrs watching this program & attending games, I have become a Bucknell fan and will continue to attend games at Sojka. I didn't realize this was a message board for only alumni & financial backers of the university, gtfoh! Yes, Nate is the reason I started following Bucknell but the university, coaching staff, players & atmosphere here is the reasoning will continue to be a Bison fan.

Scotty-14 
Sophomore

Reg: 10-10-18
03-28-19 07:28 PM - Post#283012    
    In response to Old Bison

I simply cannot fathom how someone can question Nate's loyalty. Nate, for all his hype and talent and ultimate success, is one of the most humble guys I have seen come through this program. Read the article posted about his grad transfer and you will find his teammate and fellow captain Kimbal say ,"Nate Sestina does not know how good he is". He loves Bucknell, and loves his teammates, but circumstances did not allow for him to stay 1 more year.
He could have transferred his freshman year when he got hurt. He could have transferred his sophomore year after seeing less playing time than D.J. McClay, while knowing he still would have almost no shot at beating out ZT or NF for minutes his Junior year. A player as talented as him could have chased hundreds of other opportunities across the country to showcase his ability to play at a high level HOWEVER, he WAS LOYAL to his team and this university and stuck it out to finally be rewarded with the opportunity to have the year he had worked so hard for. After all his sacrifice he finally earned a starting role, and performed so well that the Blue Bloods have come calling. Ask any of his teammates, coaches or anyone at this school and they will tell you how incredibly excited they are for him and how proud they will be to see him playing on ESPN every weekend for a P5 school. Logistically, his decision was go to Europe or another college. He chose college. He's not "ring chasing" or anything of the sort. If it were up to him he would come back and make a Sweet 16 run with the teammates he loves. Unfortunately, circumstances did not allow for him to do that. Wish the school could help him come back? Many agree. Attack his character? Shame on you.

BisonFan4 
Junior

03-28-19 07:30 PM - Post#283014    
    In response to Scotty-14

Exactly! Couldn't have stated that any better!

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-28-19 08:24 PM - Post#283018    
    In response to BisonFan4

Well said Scotty-14.

You could have added one more thing when you talk about the reasons some people in his situation might have transferred at various point in time: When the coach who recruited him - i.e. Dave Paulsen - left, he had the opportunity to move to numerous other programs, including an A-10 program or two, if his loyalty had been more to the coach than to Bucknell. But he remained committed to Bucknell, as did Kimbal and Nate.

BisonFan4 
Junior

03-28-19 11:33 PM - Post#283024    
    In response to Bison137

& yes thank you BRW. I attended all but 5 games this yr & the Hawaii tournament. I was lucky enough to have bosses that are huge basketball fans and love Nate so they were willing to work with me & my schedule to allow me to attend so many games. It involved many 12-16hr shifts & 70-80hr work weeks to make it possible, but was so worth every bit of it watching this team throughout the yr. Going to all the games and personally getting to know the players & their families & coaching staff over the past few yrs had been an awesome experience. It's made me a fan and I will continue to be a Bucknell fan long after Nate leaves campus. His dad & I plan to catch some games at Sojka next yr & we'll continue to follow the guys.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
03-31-19 05:51 PM - Post#283115    
    In response to BisonFan4

Watching Kentucky-Auburn, tried to imagine Nate playing the role of Travis. Both 6’8” 235. Different skill sets, however.

Scotty-14 
Sophomore

Reg: 10-10-18
03-31-19 09:08 PM - Post#283121    
    In response to MrPhillie

Check out the Love Nate is getting from Big Blue Nation!!

http://kentuckysportsradi o.com/basketball-2/buckne...

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
04-01-19 10:28 PM - Post#283166    
    In response to Scotty-14

https://watchstadium.com/news/these-are-the-be st-c...

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
04-02-19 12:02 AM - Post#283167    
    In response to MrPhillie

Bucknell grad transfer Nate Sestina visiting UK

Nate Sestina talks about possible transfer to Kentucky

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
Re: Nate Sestina grad transfer
04-03-19 10:32 AM - Post#283208    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

Are you a troll? Like seriously are from the Holy Cross board and are mad you didn't join the Big East?

Bucknell has a $851 million endowment and if someone has to give money to be a fan, college sports wouldn't exist. Literally. Your view is moronic Old Bison and frankly I'm embarrassed for you saying it.

Edited by HuskyColonial on 04-03-19 10:34 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
04-03-19 11:35 AM - Post#283218    
    In response to HuskyColonial

Many don't agree with Old Bison's opinion on this - including me - but he is definitely not a troll or a HC fan. Has been associated with Bucknell for a long time.

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
04-04-19 10:27 AM - Post#283263    
    In response to Bison137

OK.....

Bucknellbisonfan21 
Masters Student
Bucknellbisonfan21
Loc: Bloomsburg
Reg: 11-12-15
04-04-19 12:27 PM - Post#283268    
    In response to bison63

Nate has chosen to transfer to Kentucky:

https://twitter.com/natesestina23/status/ 111383703...

Page 4 of 10 « First<4567>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.296 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:47 PM