Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Ira Bowman Too??        (Topic#22944)
SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
03-21-19 03:48 PM - Post#282418    

Article from today's DP regarding Ira Bowman being aware of the Jerome Allen - Morris Esformes relationship

https://www.thedp.com/article/2019/03/ira-b owman-a...

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
Re: Ira Bowman Too??
03-21-19 04:31 PM - Post#282427    
    In response to SteveChop

• SteveChop Said:
Article from today's DP regarding Ira Bowman being aware of the Jerome Allen - Morris Esformes relationship

https://www.thedp.com/article/2019/03/ira-b owman-a...

[REDACTED].

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
03-25-19 02:06 PM - Post#282675    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

An Ira Bowman update from The Birmingham News.

https://www.al.com/alabamabasketball/201 9/03/the-i...

- Pearl isn’t expected to retain first-year assistant coach Ira Bowman after his connection to the scandal at the University of Pennsylvania. Former Penn coach Jerome Allen pleaded guilty on March 8 to accepting $300,000 from a Florida health-care executive in exchange for preferred athletic admissions priority for his son. Ivy League schools to do not give athletic scholarships.

Allen testified that Bowman was in on the fraudulent scheme, and Auburn suspended Bowman before the SEC Tournament.

It’s a bad look for Pearl, who already has had one assistant coach busted by the feds.

Now, McMillan could potentially slide into Bowman’s spot on Auburn’s bench, and perhaps bring Watford with him to Auburn. -

McMillan is Mountain Brook High School coach Bucky McMillan, the 2018 National High School Coach of the Year. McMillan's star player is Trendon Watford, a highly ranked PF who is deciding between Alabama, LSU, Indiana and Memphis. Duke may be in play, as well as Auburn.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-25-19 08:13 PM - Post#282709    
    In response to rbg

• rbg Said:

It’s a bad look for Pearl, who already has had one assistant coach busted by the feds.

I could write a dissertation here, but let's just say that Allen and Bowman have a long, long way to go before they can compete with Pearl when it comes to basketball related controversies. He's a scrapper and a very good coach, but has made a lot of enemies along the way with an assorted array of unethical and illegal activities over the decades.

rbg 
Postdoc

04-12-19 02:29 PM - Post#283599    
    In response to penn nation

FWIW, Bruce Pearl was at the NJ Coaches Clinic today. Adam Zagoria was there and tweeted out a comment from the coach that he is "confident" and "very, very hopeful that we'll get Ira Bowman back"

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
04-12-19 04:49 PM - Post#283602    
    In response to rbg

That would be great news.

rbg 
Postdoc

05-03-19 08:59 AM - Post#284136    
    In response to PennFan10

Nothing official with regards to Ira Bowman, but some updates from a local sportswriter.

https://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/2019 /04/ira-bo...

- But it’s been exactly seven weeks since reporting first came out about Bowman’s alleged involvement — during which time Bowman has collected more than $33,000 in salary. According an open records response filed by AL.com, Bowman is still on paid suspension.

It’s worth noting that Bowman is only on a guaranteed contract through April 30, 2019 — the date of publication of this article. His total contract runs until April 30, 2020. -

- So why is this important now? For one, the dates listed in his contract. Another is the summer recruiting calendar. For example, starting Monday are four straight days of open recruiting, where coaches may make in-person, off-campus visits — the last four days until Sept. 9.

There are on-campus visits allowed at many points in between, as well as some NCAA-sanctioned off-campus recruiting events. Bowman is not recruiting.

In his place is director of basketball operations Chad Prewett, who is serving as a countable assistant coach, per an Auburn spokesman. -

https://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/2019 /05/chad-p...

- When Auburn placed Ira Bowman on suspension following his alleged involvement in a bribery scheme, it begged an obvious question. Would director of operations Chad Prewett be elevated to an assistant coach again — repeating a cycle that happened last season when then-assistant Chuck Person was arrested and fired. -

- The correct answer to that question, is yes — though Pearl wouldn’t answer it on that day — and the release he referred to made no mention of Prewett. AL.com learned about Prewett’s elevation on April 30, nearly seven weeks after Prewett was moved into the assistant coach position. It’s important now, as Auburn is closing the final week of open recruiting for the summer. He has the ability to go out and recruit, and fill in for any role that a full-time assistant can. -

- Prewett had the assistant job for the entire 2017 season, until Wes Flanigan and Bowman were hired. And now that Bowman is out, Prewett became an assistant coach again through the NCAA Tournament, and now into the summer recruiting season. -

rbg 
Postdoc

05-31-19 06:29 PM - Post#284916    
    In response to rbg

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Articl e/Aubur...

Auburn president: Ira Bowman's fate will be decided within week
By BRANDON MARCELLO 3 hours ago

- "I would say (athletics director) Allen (Greene), (compliance director) Rich (McGlynn) and I have had some thoughtful, deep discussions on that and we’ll reach some kind of decision within this week," Auburn University president Steven Leath told Auburn Undercover on Friday at the SEC's spring meetings.

Bowman remains on paid leave as officials continue to look into allegations that he was a participant in a scheme that led to bribes by a parent to get their son on the basketball roster at the University of Penn in 2015. -

- "Nothing has been determined yet," Greene said Wednesday after a day at the SEC's spring meetings. "He’s still on leave and we’re still working to gather as much information so we can make a prudent decision." -

- Asked why a decision on Bowman's future at Auburn had not yet been reached Wednesday, Greene said: "Some things don’t move along as fast as you’d like for them to." -

rbg 
Postdoc

06-01-19 05:54 PM - Post#284919    
    In response to rbg

Auburn has reinstated Ira Bowman and he is back at work.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Articl e/Ira-B...

- Auburn assistant basketball coach Ira Bowman is back at work this weekend after nearly three months on the sidelines on paid leave.

Bowman is actively involved with arguably the basketball program's biggest recruiting weekend in history, as several 5-star and other blue-chip prospects visit campus, a source tells Auburn Undercover. Bowman was spotted by reporters with recruits on campus Saturday. -

- Update (2:18 p.m.): Auburn confirmed Bowman's reinstatement Saturday afternoon.

"After a thorough review of all available facts and information, Ira Bowman has fully resume his role and responsibilities with the Auburn men's basketball program," according to the statement released by Auburn's athletics department."

The news of Bowman's return comes less than 24 hours after Auburn university president Steven Leath said a decision was coming soon. -

https://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/2019 /06/ira-bo...

- Auburn spent 11 weeks and three days investigating the facts. The results of that investigation have not been made clear. He was paid during his suspension.

AL.com has filed another open records request.

Head coach Bruce Pearl indicated that, “there’s not an investigation.” However, the Auburn University open records office declined to provide documents to AL.com, citing an open investigation. -

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
06-01-19 06:53 PM - Post#284920    
    In response to rbg

I'm happy for Ira. Good to see that he got cleared, and I was not optimistic he would be given the process. The vast majority of people who are suspended in a work situation pending an investigation never work another day.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
06-02-19 02:54 PM - Post#284922    
    In response to palestra38

Yeah. Jerome's cycle of poison had to end somewhere. I don't really want to see anyone else tainted by this. It's not clear that there are meaningful consequences for Jerome himself, although perhaps there is still sentencing still to come in his case.

SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
06-03-19 08:23 AM - Post#284932    
    In response to Penndemonium

Jerome has not been sentenced. One of the articles said that he could get up to 10 years in prison.

palestra38 
Professor

06-03-19 08:40 AM - Post#284934    
    In response to SteveChop

I would be surprised if he got any time given his cooperation. But if he does, that probably ends his NBA career.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

06-03-19 12:56 PM - Post#284939    

Jerome clearly wasn't the target in the case. I don't hope for jail time for him - he is clearly a functioning citizen, but one who made a very bad decision. As we can see from Operation Varsity Blues, there are a lot of coaches who abused their position and there are probably a lot more who haven't been identified. I just don't want his behavior to taint any other people or the University, as it doesn't seem that anyone else knowingly benefited (except Ira to a small degree).

palestra38 
Professor

06-03-19 01:16 PM - Post#284940    
    In response to Penndemonium

I have to admit, I was taken aback seeing your comment here on Jerome, after taking the position in the thread on the students who got in by bribes or fake athletic recruiting that they should be subject to expulsion. Jerome is at Ground Zero here---he betrayed the University that (mistakenly) gave him an opportunity to be a head coach at good money and be a role model to his team.

Jerome should get years in prison as far as I am concerned, should never have another basketball job and should have to repay his salary that he took while accepting bribes. But I don't think he will serve time or lose his Celtics job. Still, I just do not understand how you can come down so hard on the kids just trying to get into a school while being so soft on Jerome.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

06-03-19 07:05 PM - Post#284944    

Two things you are misunderstanding.

First of all, I don't have any ill will towards the kids who are involved in these scandals either. I just don't think they (or their families) should be rewarded for their actions, even if the student didn't know about it. I am not out to get young Esformes at all. Not getting a Penn degree after 4 years isn't great, but it isn't the worst thing that can happen to someone. It is a perfectly logical consequence of having a family member illegally bribe the student's way into the school.

Second, the fact that I don't have ill will towards Jerome is not at all the same as hoping he won't be punished. I wouldn't lose a bit of sleep if he goes 10 years in jail for it if that is the appropriate sentence. I am just saying I don't bear the type of animosity that makes me hope he rots into a shell of a person in prison. I hope he ultimately bears the consequences of his actions and becomes a reformed member of society. I certainly think it is strange that the NBA isn't doing anything to Jerome, whereas Ira had to be in fear of his career.

I don't have ill will or hope for the ruin of ANY of these people. Everyone needs to face consequences, however. The cycle of cheating needs to stop. One way to make it stop is to make sure that people who cheat for their kids are not rewarded. Another way is to make sure that coaches and administrators are appropriately punished for their actions.

I have a friend who went through 4 years at Penn, and completed his coursework. His family defaulted on his tuition payments or loans (I don't remember the fine print), and the school withheld his diploma. How is my friend less deserving of a degree than young Esformes? Both finished 4 years towards a degree. Penn refused to honor the completed work of my friend, yet they appear to be granting a degree for a person whose father bribed their way into the school. How is this morally consistent? The school absolutely has the right to deny a degree even if they've completed most of the 4 years. They've done it before and for purely financial reasons.

Stanford and Yale got it right by kicking out the students involved in cheating scandals. Penn did not.

• palestra38 Said:
I have to admit, I was taken aback seeing your comment here on Jerome, after taking the position in the thread on the students who got in by bribes or fake athletic recruiting that they should be subject to expulsion. Jerome is at Ground Zero here---he betrayed the University that (mistakenly) gave him an opportunity to be a head coach at good money and be a role model to his team.

Jerome should get years in prison as far as I am concerned, should never have another basketball job and should have to repay his salary that he took while accepting bribes. But I don't think he will serve time or lose his Celtics job. Still, I just do not understand how you can come down so hard on the kids just trying to get into a school while being so soft on Jerome.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.398 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:47 AM