Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: March Sadness        (Topic#22948)
GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-19-16
03-22-19 12:50 AM - Post#282457    

It is tough to be Green right now. With our consecutively deinishing Ivy League wins, while watching the league get stronger overall, I’m left wondering how far are we from post season play. Seeing Yale, Harvard, Cornell, and Brown play in various post season tourneys is great for the league but heavy on this Big Green heart. Heck, throw in Penn and Princeton’s Ivy League tourney appearance, and that leave just us and Columbia out of some form of post season action. Even Columbia won the CIT a few years back. C’est La Vie.

"...no excuses - only results!”

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: March Sadness
03-22-19 01:03 AM - Post#282458    
    In response to GoBigGreenBasketball

Is it better or worse to be Dartmouth or to be Evan Boudreaux who dumped Dartmouth to go to Xavier so he’d get a chance to play in the Tournament?

He had to dump that plan when Chris Mack went to Louisville, and ended up at Purdue.

Then had a minor injury in January, lost his rotation spot, and now is buried deep on the bench. So today his team was in the NCAAs, but he wasn’t, pulling his 9th DNP since January 8th. He’s been on the floor a total of 51 minutes over the last 19 games.

Edited by Chip Bayers on 03-22-19 01:04 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
03-22-19 12:17 PM - Post#282480    

• GoBigGreenBasketball Said:
It is tough to be Green right now. With our consecutively deinishing Ivy League wins, while watching the league get stronger overall, I’m left wondering how far are we from post season play. Seeing Yale, Harvard, Cornell, and Brown play in various post season tourneys is great for the league but heavy on this Big Green heart. Heck, throw in Penn and Princeton’s Ivy League tourney appearance, and that leave just us and Columbia out of some form of post season action. Even Columbia won the CIT a few years back. C’est La Vie.

We're all frustrated with the lack of Ws. But I do think that McLaughlin can legitimately claim that we're not far off from the upper division. Every team except us will be losing significant contributors. Those close losses should turn into wins.

I'm also confident that McLaughin will spend the offseason studying the last four minutes of close games and trying to come up with schemes to steal a basket here and there. Belmont had success with that fake-panic-backdoor-pass that would also have worked against Maryland if the defender hadn't deflected the pass. Magic like that can be the difference between a W and a L.

Football went through some of this as well. 1998-2009 were bad years. 2016 was a year when we had several agonizingly close losses. We got over those humps. Basketball should as well.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

03-24-19 10:54 AM - Post#282576    
    In response to Go Green

Would, Could, and Magic are not things to build a program on. I'm from Missouri the "Show Me State". First I'll need to know who's returning. We've had pretty big staff turnover in the last couple years. Who's coming back both staff and players. We lost our best player one year! Things could change before next season that undermines our seniority advantage. Second I want to see a better SOS. Playing lesser competition doesn't prepare us for league. The last thing that needs to happen is a better approach to depth, especially when we get to league. We don't have confidence beyond the 6th man IMO. In the past we had guys like Cameron Smith who I know could contribute, was buried on the bench. Guys disappear under McLaughlin. Foye however, was a testament development that can happen. So it's possible. But I'll believe it when I see it.

Edited by GoBigGreenBasketball on 03-24-19 10:56 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Go Green 
PhD Student

03-25-19 05:29 PM - Post#282698    

Second I want to see a better SOS. Playing lesser competition doesn't prepare us for league.

If you've been paying attention to Dartmouth football in this century, you'll know that there is very little correlation between playing tougher OOC teams and league performance.

Indeed, Dartmouth football began to turn it around when we lightened up on the OOC teams. It's gotten to the point where alums are bored beating up on our OOC teams and are openly calling for Teevens to try to schedule stronger OOC teams. (We haven't lost a OOC game in something like five years).

If you have examples of direct correlations between scheduling up and doing better in league play in basketball, I"m listening.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

03-26-19 01:30 AM - Post#282772    
    In response to Go Green

Using cumulative win probabilities to predict NCAA basketball performance

SOS matters. However, beyond the numbers, most observers would concur that you get better by playing better competition.

westcoast 
Senior

Reg: 03-08-16
03-27-19 12:41 PM - Post#282867    

Evan Daniels is reporting that Sophomore forward Adrease Jackson is transferring out of Dartmouth.

https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/11 109027544...

Go Green 
PhD Student

03-27-19 02:08 PM - Post#282883    
    In response to westcoast

• westcoast Said:
Evan Daniels is reporting that Sophomore forward Adrease Jackson is transferring out of Dartmouth.

https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/11 109027544...

Ok, improving next season just got more challening.

I wonder where exactly he expects to go?

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
03-27-19 03:15 PM - Post#282888    
    In response to Go Green

In the 2017-18 season I thought Jackson was the best player against Princeton. Then he disappeared this year. Injuries? Doghouse?

Joe.Yemly 
Freshman

Reg: 03-08-17
March Sadness
03-27-19 06:10 PM - Post#282903    
    In response to Go Green

Jackson loss is addition by subtraction

Edited by Joe.Yemly on 03-27-19 06:11 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

03-28-19 02:57 AM - Post#282939    
    In response to Joe.Yemly

Well that's one shoe to drop. Addition by subtraction demonizes the player. Jackson was a McLaughlin recruit and a forward like Boudreaux. Coincidence, I think not.

Like I posited earlier it'll be interesting to see who returns before we pin or hopes on next season. Losing is hard. Being in the doghouse on a losing team is even harder. Something is rotten in the State of New Hampshire.

Go Green 
PhD Student

03-28-19 12:29 PM - Post#282976    

Well that's one shoe to drop. Addition by subtraction demonizes the player. Jackson was a McLaughlin recruit and a forward like Boudreaux. Coincidence, I think not.

Then we're in a lot of trouble given that we're bringing in several big guys for next season.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

04-01-19 04:58 PM - Post#283158    
    In response to Go Green

• Go Green Said:

Then we're in a lot of trouble given that we're bringing in several big guys for next season.

As always under Tommy Amaker, optimism abounds in Cambridge

Where's the Big Green projections???

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.346 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:04 AM