Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 4 of 4 « First<1234
Username Post: Coach Banghart        (Topic#22978)
Tiger84 
Senior

Reg: 03-06-17
03-08-21 10:27 PM - Post#321638    
    In response to Tiger69

Coach B isn’t going anywhere this offseason. In addition to a great recruiting class, today she landed a grad transfer point guard who scored 1000 points in 3 years at her old school. Maybe you’ve heard of her.

https://twitter.com/clittlefield33/status /13690301...

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
03-16-21 08:55 AM - Post#322111    
    In response to Tiger84

North Carolina made the Tournament as a #10 seed. For years to come, North Carolina will be making the Tournament as a much higher seed under her tutelage. Carlie will probably be playing for a top 25 team next year. Banghart's competitiveness was never a great long-term fit for her her and the IL.

It is sad and unfortunate that Carlie did not have the opportunity to enjoy her final year at Princeton at the Big Dance with the Tigers. Although the Tigers would have been very good this year, last year was the opportunity for a magic run by an IL team since the Cornell men's team.

Would not be the least bit surprised if Jaelin takes opts out to play for a big time program after next year to showcase his skills outside of the IL.

In the future, we may be seeing grad transfers from the IL become a more frequent occurrence.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-16-21 09:59 AM - Post#322113    
    In response to bradley

I’m confused. Jaelin has 2 years of eligibility left for the NCAA,. Doesn’t he also have 2 years left at Princeton until he graduates?

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
03-16-21 11:36 AM - Post#322119    
    In response to Tiger69

Are these thoughts correct?

If he took the year off from school, then he would be a junior in the fall and have 2 years of eligibility. He could either play both years for Princeton or he could play a year & skip his senior year for a grad transfer season.

If he didn't take the year off from school, then he would be a senior in the fall and have 2 years of eligibility. He can play his senior year and then finish as a grad transfer.

I guess another option is for him to not play anymore for Princeton and save both years of eligibility as a grad transfer.

bradley 
PhD Student

03-16-21 07:10 PM - Post#322174    
    In response to rbg

One of the advantages for IL coaches was the probability of having a player grow and develop over a four year stretch and not having a significant amount of turnover. Pandora's Box may have been opened as to the most talented players especially if an injury comes into play. Time will tell.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-17-21 11:17 AM - Post#322220    
    In response to rbg

Thanks, rug. So we don’t know whether he took last year off. I should hope that he would play one year for us if he finished his junior year. Then, he could get his degree as a Tiger before a grad year somewhere else to showcase his talent to the NBA. I would be surprised and disappointed if he left before graduation.

bradley 
PhD Student

03-18-21 09:41 PM - Post#322293    
    In response to Tiger69

I listened to most of the recent podcast interviewing Jaelin. He stated that he will be playing his "senior" year" at Princeton next year. One would think that he will be a Grad student the following year if he wants to play one additional year. Would not be surprised if he plays at his father's school that recruited Jaelin heavily -- Wake Forest.

It would be unfortunate not to see him for 2 more years at Princeton.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
03-19-21 01:01 PM - Post#322301    
    In response to bradley

The cancellation will likely shorten many Ivy careers. As a Harvard fan, losing a year of Noah Kirkwood and Chris Ledum plus the freshman class strikes me the same way as only having Jaelin for 3 season impact you.

It's going to be true for every team I suppose, unless players opt for a grad year within the league. That doesn't seem to be the path for the best players though for a host of reason, including cost.

bradley 
PhD Student

03-19-21 09:55 PM - Post#322326    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

I listened to the recent podcasts of Coach Berube and Henderson. After reflecting upon the conversations, my walkaway was concern for both teams.

Coach Berube has only 3 players, two freshmen and a junior, practicing with Carlie and Hare, grad transfer students.

The three players are getting a lot of coaching from Carla and the 3 assistance coaches but it is a far cry from what is going on with all other women teams throughout the country. You had a sense that Carla's energy level was down and she was not her usual self.

Of greater concern was Mitch. He sounded a little bit lost. The last podcast had Ryan and Jerome and it was good to hear them share their stories playing at Princeton. They are finally playing -- one on one games against each other.

These two coaches have big challenges ahead of them but I would imagine that the same holds true for every IL coach.

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
03-20-21 09:22 AM - Post#322329    
    In response to bradley

I listened to both podcasts and came away with much different impressions. Coach Berube has always struck me as reserved and guarded and not an exuberant presence like Coach Banghart. Isn’t the reason she only has a handful of players because so many have taken the year off and will presumably return in the fall?

And Coach Henderson seemed genuinely excited to my ears to be back on the court with his players although this situation (practicing with no upcoming season or games) and timing is clearly weird for both the coaches and players.

The interesting challenge for all of the Ivy teams will be integrating two classes who have had zero playing time into their rotations. Especially for Princeton where it is not uncommon for players to finally “get it” until the second half of their sophomore seasons.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
02-17-22 10:52 PM - Post#336679    
    In response to Tiger81

#24 UNC beat #3 Louisville 66-65 tonight.

Littlefield - 35 minutes, 8 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists

UNC is 20-5 & 10-5 in ACC (5th place)

ESPN has team as #6 seed (in same region as #10 Princeton)

ToothlessTiger 
Senior

Reg: 03-28-15
02-18-22 09:20 AM - Post#336698    
    In response to rbg

No one on this board is surprised by Banghart's achievements. She is a Power 5 talent on her way to the top, where she will preside for many years.

Tiger84 
Senior

Reg: 03-06-17
02-18-22 11:00 AM - Post#336707    
    In response to ToothlessTiger

Littlefield's points per game and shooting percentage have been inching downward against tougher ACC competition. But that has coincided with all of the sophomores she is mentoring stepping up and being able to play at this level. Carlie is clearly a force for cohesion on that team, an extension of Coach Banghart on the floor.

I've caught 8-9 of their games this year and they are very impressive.

Page 4 of 4 « First<1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.338 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:54 AM