Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 6 1234>» Last
Username Post: Oni to Enter NBA Draft        (Topic#22981)
rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
03-29-19 10:33 AM - Post#283043    

Per ESPN, Miye Oni to enter the 2019 NBA Draft. According to the article, he will be signing with an agent.

http://africa.espn.com/mens-college-basketba ll/sto...

- "I plan on entering the 2019 draft," Oni told ESPN via text message. "I submitted my name to the Undergraduate Advisory Request to legally protect myself and my NCAA eligibility, but I have every intention of staying in the draft. I'll be signing with agent Harrison Gaines of SLASH Sports." -

- "I'll be training with Joe Abunassar and my longtime personal trainer, Jonathan Kelley, in preparation for the draft," Oni said. "I believe I will surprise NBA teams with my versatility. I have the ability to play 1, 2 and 3 offensively and defensively. I can run the pick-and-roll, shoot off the dribble, shoot off the catch and defend multiple spots. Whatever a team needs I will do." -

rbg 
Postdoc

03-29-19 10:38 AM - Post#283044    
    In response to rbg

BTW, Harrison Gaines is a former Penn player (2007-2009), who transferred to UC-Riverside after his first two years as a Quaker.

https://www.thedp.com/article/2017/07/penn- mens-ba...

Gaines is also Lonzo Ball's agent.

mobrien 
Senior

Loc: New York
Reg: 04-18-17
03-29-19 11:33 AM - Post#283054    
    In response to rbg

YDN reporting that Oni has already signed with Gaines, not just planning to.

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2019/03/29/mens- bas...

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-29-19 11:37 AM - Post#283055    
    In response to rbg

P38 has a shrine to Gaines in his basement.

• rbg Said:
BTW, Harrison Gaines is a former Penn player (2007-2009), who transferred to UC-Riverside after his first two years as a Quaker.

https://www.thedp.com/article/2017/07/penn- mens-ba...

Gaines is also Lonzo Ball's agent.

rbg 
Postdoc

03-29-19 01:03 PM - Post#283064    
    In response to penn nation

The New Haven Register has an article about the potential for Oni to return to Yale.

https://www.nhregister.com/sports/article/Miye-O ni...

- Oni will petition the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee to see where — if at all — he will be selected in the 2019 NBA draft. He is allowed to hire an agent to help him through the process. -

- First-round picks get guaranteed money based on what pick they’re selected with. Money is not guaranteed for second-round picks, but the first 10 or 15 second-rounders usually find themselves in a pretty good position, often with guaranteed contracts. It’s players in the bottom half of the second round (or, of course, those that go undrafted) that have the toughest decisions to make. If Oni stayed in the draft but wasn’t selected, he Oni could still return to Yale, as long as he breaks off his agreement with his agent.

One mock draft website, NBAdraft.net, has Oni going with the 55th overall pick (ironically, one pick ahead of his former Yale teammate, Makai Mason, who played this past season as a grad transfer at Baylor). An ESPN mock draft currently has Oni going with the 53rd overall pick. That’s the area where Oni will have a very touch decision to make. -

rbg 
Postdoc

03-29-19 01:08 PM - Post#283067    
    In response to rbg

The YDN article has been updated.

- Although he emphasized his intent to remain in the draft, Oni maintains his collegiate eligibility by requesting an evaluation from the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee. Since 2016, college basketball players who declare for the draft have been able to remove themselves from the draft and maintain eligibility if they withdraw within ten days after the invite-only NBA combine in mid-May.

New NCAA policies updated in September 2018, meanwhile, allow basketball players who request an evaluation from the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee and attend the combine to return to school if they are not selected and notify their institution’s athletics director by 5 p.m. the Monday following the draft. -

- Head coach James Jones said Oni would be in New Haven attending classes through the end of the semester and working out with his trainer and the Yale coaching staff to prepare for workouts with NBA teams. Jones said Oni will also be practicing with the rest of the team “as if nothing happened.”

“[Oni] obviously is excited about his opportunities going forward, and I am excited and happy for him,” Jones said. “He’s going to get information from the NBA in terms of where they see him going in the 2019 NBA Draft. If he’s anywhere from one to 40 on the draft, I will drive him to New York myself. If he’s someone that they’re thinking is going to be from 45 to 60, most of those young men end up in the G-League, and it would probably be better for him to come back to Yale and graduate in his normal time.” -

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
03-29-19 01:23 PM - Post#283069    
    In response to rbg

I agree with Jones.

mobrien 
Senior

Reg: 04-18-17
03-29-19 01:28 PM - Post#283072    
    In response to palestra38

Yeah, those comments from Jones make a lot more sense. Obviously if you're going in the first round, you're staying in the draft. But even if you're a high second round pick, the commitment the team is making to you is usually enough for it to be worth it.

Anything else, and you're in and draft and stash territory.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
03-29-19 01:50 PM - Post#283074    
    In response to mobrien

Very well said by James Jones and this makes A LOOOOT more sense to me now. I don’t see him getting close to 40... best draft position I see is 51 and that is more of an outlier.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-29-19 02:31 PM - Post#283081    
    In response to rbg

• rbg Said:
If he’s someone that they’re thinking is going to be from 45 to 60, most of those young men end up in the G-League, and it would probably be better for him to come back to Yale and graduate in his normal time.” -

Reminds me--was at a Westchester Knicks game recently. Was hoping to be impressed by Nate Hickman but he sadly disappointed.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
05-13-19 01:32 PM - Post#284459    
    In response to rbg

ESPN has projected Oni as the 54th pick in the NBA draft. The Pistons worked him out with several other players last week and they have the 45th pick. If he is drafted, I would not be surprised if he leaves Yale for his shot at the NBA although he can obviously wait until next year. In one mock draft, I did see Makai Mason as the 60th player drafted.

Great story based on performance of CJ McCollum in game 7 against Denver. He gave a shout out to Lehigh. He was the 10th player picked and Portland made a great selection.

I doubt that Oni or any current IL player can reach that type of level in the NBA but if so, it would be great for the league.

rbg 
Postdoc

Oni to Enter NBA Draft
05-13-19 04:11 PM - Post#284464    
    In response to bradley

Here is a take from Coach Jones right after Oni declared for the draft:

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2019/03/29/mens- bas...

- “[Oni] obviously is excited about his opportunities going forward, and I am excited and happy for him,” Jones said. “He’s going to get information from the NBA in terms of where they see him going in the 2019 NBA draft. If he’s anywhere from one to 40 on the draft, I will drive him to New York myself. If he’s someone that they’re thinking is going to be from 45 to 60, most of those young men end up in the G-League, and it would probably be better for him to come back to Yale and graduate in his normal time.” -

Here is a take from an Eastern Conference NBA Scout from a few weeks ago:
https://www.nhregister.com/sports/article/NBA-sc ou...

- The mock drafts are nearly unanimous in predicting Oni will go somewhere among the final 10 picks of the second round. Of course, there is no guaranteed money for second-round picks. And while some — maybe 10 or 15 — can get guaranteed contracts, players selected in the bottom half of the second round aren’t as likely.

Those players will more likely end up in the G-League, making nowhere near the millions of the NBA and with no guarantee of ever getting a sniff in the the league.

“It’s tough to pass up a Yale education,” said the scout. “I’d tell him to finish (school).” -

Edited by rbg on 05-13-19 04:14 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

HGA 
Sophomore

Reg: 10-16-18
Re: Oni to Enter NBA Draft
05-14-19 09:10 AM - Post#284485    
    In response to rbg

Given the projections, I agree that he should finish his last year, get his degree, and hopefully improve his draft potential for the '20 draft.

palestra38 
Professor

05-14-19 10:05 AM - Post#284491    
    In response to HGA

Well, with Harvard having the HCA for next year's tournament, does anyone else really have a chance?

westphillywarrior 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-08-11
05-14-19 11:53 AM - Post#284495    

Oni could improve his draft position without Yale winning the tournament.

It's true that the home court is a huge advantage but Penn and Yale (with Oni) should be strong and will have at least some chance. Remember Princeton was able to beat Penn in overtime the first tournament when we had the home court advantage, so it's been done.

palestra38 
Professor

05-14-19 12:17 PM - Post#284497    
    In response to westphillywarrior

I should have put up the winking Icon---I was poking the Harvard posters, all of whom have unceasingly pointed to HCA for why they have not won the tournament yet.

james 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-18-19
05-14-19 06:40 PM - Post#284507    

Harvard is a massive favorite next year on anyone’s court. They are an even bigger one at home no doubt.

This being said yale with oni is a contender. If they get good pg play and bruner makes the jump he can from a real offseason for once then they should make the playoff which gives them better than a punchers chance statistically. pretty loaded actually assuming any growth in existing 4 of 7 “starters” coming back. And they have talent up and down this roster otherwise assuming it develops in line w expectations.

Oni likely goes if he has a good combine and/or good workouts. The goal is to get closer to 40 than 60 in this draft.
Next year might not improve much for him regardless bc he will be 22 and almost 23.
The Yale degree argument is dumb to me and I have one. He has one year of credits left and as smart as he is that can be done relatively easily in a few off seasons which he will do. basically he is getting this degree regardless so why let it impact his timing. At worst he will get paid and plays in a high euro league. At best he gets an nba roster spot. And in the middle is possibly a 2 way g/nba deal.from what I can gather getting picked at 40 wld all but guarantee the non-euro scenario. Not sure if it’s say 45.

The combine performance will of course matter in framing upside/downside in this draft. but I don’t know how high the bar really is...make more shots than he did against LSU? Show his athleticism. but his position doesn’t improve much next year?
And his skill if showed is 3 and D. That stock is accorded a high multiple right now if they believe in him. Will the value on his skill go up next year? They might feel better abt it but they don’t increase their multiple on him I don’t think. They also could cut the valuation multiple. He might feel better finishing his degree and getting a Y letter sweater. But there is possible opportunity cost

of course I hope he doesn’t leave bc they would be dangerous

palestra38 
Professor

05-14-19 07:06 PM - Post#284508    
    In response to james

I think that if he doesn't get a guaranteed contract, he should return to Yale and try to up his game. He can always go Euro after that if the NBA doesn't work out. But if his dream is the NBA, why not work on his game at Yale for another year (assuming he cannot get that guaranteed contract)?

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
05-14-19 08:10 PM - Post#284509    
    In response to james

I agree with most of your points and your rationale. If he gets drafted, not a slam dunk, I also believe that he will go. Excellent athletes, by and large, believe in their abilities and look at the opportunity with a glass half full vs half empty. Oni may be the exception and take the conservative route and stay at Yale but my hunch and only a guess is that he leaves if drafted.

I hope that he stays at Yale and it will make the Bulldogs dangerous in IvyMadness even on the road.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
05-14-19 11:23 PM - Post#284512    
    In response to bradley

If you declare early for the draft I find it hard to believe a player doesn’t go if drafted.

League benefits if he stays, but only 60 players get drafted. No guarantee he gets drafted twice.

Page 1 of 6 1234>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.381 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:45 AM