Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Hiring a New Assistant Coach        (Topic#22999)
Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
04-05-19 08:14 PM - Post#283354    

With John Griffin leaving, it will be interesting to see what direction the search takes. I think the opening could be filled in one of three ways:

1. Simply hire a new #2 assistant.
2. Promote Meehan to the #2 assistant and Brown from MOBO to the #3 assistant job. Then hire a new MOBO.
3. Promote Meehan to the #2 assistant and hire a new coach as a #3.

Bison recruiting imo has been good over the last few years - but definitely not great. Need to do a bit better to continue to consistently battle for 1st. Thus I would like to see them bring in a strong recruiter - one with at least some experience. As for some possibilities, I'll go into that in the next post.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
04-05-19 08:31 PM - Post#283355    
    In response to Bison137

When ND was hired, I posted a list of possible candidates - some unlikely - for Assistant Coach and MOBO. I've copied that list, which includes 2015 comments, and then added updated comments in caps. Also added a few more possible names at the end. Remember that at this point, the search could be for a #2, a #3, or a MOBO. More than half of the names from this list four years ago no longer look like candidates, particularly with the #1 assistant job not in play. Would like to hear other possible candidates.

- - - - - - -

- Bucknell Players coached by Nathan Davis:

1. John Griffin - has been assistant at Rider for past two years after one year at DOBO. BECAME COACH AT BUCKNELL; NOW GOING TO ST. JOES.
2. Kevin Bettencourt - now head coach at Endicott; was assistant for 6 yrs at Bentley and 1 yr at Salem State. STILL THERE – MIGHT LEAVE FOR #1 ASSISTANT JOB, BUT CERTAINLY NOTHING LESS.
3. Charles Lee - now assistant with Hawks; was Bison assistant. NOW ASSISTANT WITH BUCKS. DOUBTFUL HE WOULD EVEN TAKE A #1 ASSISTANT JOB.
4. Abe Badmus - currently manager of LIberty Arena complex in Williamsport; was operations manager for Competitive Edge Sports in Philly area; spent a year as an assistant for Don Friday at St. Francis. NO CHANGE IN STATUS.
5. Pat Behan - head coach at St. John's College HS in strong WCAC in DC area. NO CHANGE IN STATUS
6. Donald Brown - assistant men's basketball strength and conditioning coach at VCU; was basketball performance coach from 2010-14. NOW “DIRECTOR OF SPORTS PERFORMANCE’ AT VCU
7. Holland Mack - teacher and head coach at Paramus Catholic. IS NOW AN OFFICER WITH THE NJ STATE POLICE AND IS GETTING MARRIED THIS WEEKEND IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

- Other Bison:

1. Bryson Johnson - still a work visa issue? RETURNED TO GMU AS A GRAD ASSISTANT THIS YEAR AFTER COACHING AT BROWN FOR ONE YEAR. BROWN MESSED UP THE PAPERWORK FOR HIS WORK PERMIT. MIGHT BECOME DP’S #3 OR DOBO AT GMU OR GO TO W&M WITH DANE FISHCER.

- Bucknell Staff during the Flannery/Davis Tenure:

1. Don Friday - was replaced at Bucknell by Davis when Friday became the Lycoming coach; currently head coach at Penn State-Harrisburg. Assistant for Flannery for 13 years at Lebanon Valley and Bucknell. NO CHANGE IN STATUS. HIS TEAMS HAVE STRUGGLED BUT WERE SOMEWHAT BETTER THIS YEAR.
2. Bryan Goodman - currently #2 assistant at Binghamton; had stints as associate HC at Cal State-Bakersfield and as DOBO and assistant at Oklahoma. NOW ASSOCIATE HEAD COACH AT BINGHAMTON. BING’S HEAD COACH HAS BEEN THERE SEVEN YEAR AND LOST 20+ GAMES EVERY YEAR AND AMAZINGLY GOT A RECENT CONTRACT EXTENSION.
3. Mark Prosser - associate head coach at Winthrop for past two years; was formerly assistant at Wofford and was head coach for D2 Brevard for one year; originally from Wheeling and attended college at Marist; was assistant at Bucknell for 5 years. NOW HEAD COACH AT WESTERN CAROLINA

- Colgate Staff:

1. Emmett Davis - Nathan was his #1 assistant for a year after Pat resigned; although Davis wasn't a good game coach, he was known as a good recruiter for 12 years at Navy, where he worked with Nathan under Don DeVoe - and he did a pretty good job in that area at Colgate; was assistant at Tulsa in 2011-12 before Wojcik was fired; Age 55. Not likely. NO CHANGE IN STATUS
2. Aaron Marshall - was #2 assistant at Colgate while N. Davis was there; ended up as #1 asst. before Emmitt Davis was fired in March 2011; then DOBO at Radford and Southern Cal; now #3 assistant at Radford. WAS BRIEFLY AN ASSISTANT AT USC A FEW YEARS AGO. APPEARS TO BE OUT OF COACHING.
3. Greg Snyder - was #3 assistant at Colgate while N. Davis was there; ended up as #2 asst. before Emmit Davis was fired in March 2011; then coach/recruiter for New England Playaz AAU for two years; then head coach at St. Mark's Prep School in MA; now DOBO for Vermont. NO CHANGE IN STATUS. NOW DOBO FOR OVER FIVE YEARS.

- Current Bucknell Staff:

1. Ryan Ayers NOW COACH AT NOTRE DAME.
2. Kevin Snyder NOW A TEACHER IN ARKANSAS

- Randolph-Macon College:

1. Shawn Postiglione - assistant at RMC for past year; was student-assistant for one year and then #3 assistant for two years at Wagner under Mike Deane; then was #1 assistant at Christopher Newport University for four years; began under the new coach who replaced CJ Woollum after his 26 years as head coach; started his academic career at Lafayette before transferring; was an All-Staten Island PG in HS. NOW HEAD COACH AT BRIDGEWATER COLLEGE IN WESTERN VIRGINIA.
2. Joe Meehan - assistant at Randolph-Macon from 2013-15 and Hoop Group coach; star PG for Lebanon Valley from 2009-12. CURRENT COACH AT BUCKNELL.
3. JD Byers - assistant at RMC during Nathan's first year, as well as during Mike Rhoades' last 2 years; left for assistant job at St. Francis for Don Friday; then 3 years as Radford assistant; now Rice assistant for Rhoades; graduate of Lebanon Valley. JUST FINISHED 2ND YEAR AS VCU ASSISTANT UNDER MIKE RHOADES.
4. Josh Merkel - spent a year as grad assistant at WVU; 5-year assistant at Eastern Kentucky under Jeff Neubauer (new Fordham coach); assistant at RMC from 2010-11; head coach at Salisbury, his alma mater, since May 2011. REPLACED ND AS HEAD COACH AT RANDOLPH-MACON.
5. Tim Lawrence - assistant at RMC from 2011-13; previously was grad assistant at VCU; was DOBO at Robert Morris in 2013-14 and assistant in 2014-15; was RMC captain in 2009-10. LEFT THE COACHING PROFESSION.
6. Chuck Moore - RMC assistant 2010-12; now head coach and AD at D2 Richard Bland College : 59-8 record past two years. Not likely. RESIGNED FROM BOTH POSITIONS LAST YEAR. NOW DOING SOME TRAINING.
7. Jarell Christian (Jamion's brother) - RMC assistant 2012-14; now assistant for Oklahoma City in D-League under head coach Mark Daigneault, former Ralph Willard assistant at HC; previously served as assistant at Emory & Henry and Tusculum College. HEAD COACH OF WIZARDS’ G LEAGUE FRANCHISE.
8. Rhett Bonner - assistant at RMC in 2011-12; program assistant at NC-Charlotte in 2012-13; assistant coach at Virginia Wesleyan past two years; PG for two D3 Final Four teams at Guilford. DOBO AT RICE THE PAST THREE YEARS.

- New Names:

1. Cam Ayers – still playing in Europe; time to start new career?
2. Ryan Frazier – working for the Bucks as one of a number of “player development assistants” after a year as grad assistant at GMU.
3. Dom Hoffman - grad assistant at VCU but that spot likely will be ending within two months.
4. Matt Griffin – has been very successful at Philly’s Roman Catholic, but if he has any college coaching aspirations, it might be time to take the next step.
5. Dave Matturo – assistant at Randolph Macon for last four years; former DOBO under Jamion Christian at MSM; coached at Shenandoah as assistant against Nathan Davis.

DrBison 
Junior

Reg: 12-22-08
04-06-19 09:37 AM - Post#283360    
    In response to Bison137

Was told Bryson Johnson was hired as an assistant by DP at GMU. If true, great for Bryson!

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
04-06-19 01:08 PM - Post#283364    
    In response to Bison137

137 would you mind doing academic research for me sometime? 😂

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
04-06-19 07:37 PM - Post#283383    
    In response to HuskyColonial

bisonmania would do a helluva job

HoleinOne 
Masters Student

Loc: Bluffton, SC
Reg: 02-15-09
04-07-19 10:00 AM - Post#283399    
    In response to Bison137

Love the info-thanks. Living in Texas, some of the football coaches with quickest college starts have come from high school. Appears players already know and respect them and they know the player's skill sets. Applying this to Bucknell, Griffin's Roman Cath. Phila background would seem a good match.

bisonmania 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-26-07
04-07-19 02:53 PM - Post#283409    
    In response to HoleinOne

Phillie I have such a lucrative contract with my current gig. Bucknell would have to make a crazy offer for it to happen. I am thankful you thought of me however. 😂

nitlion 
Masters Student

Reg: 06-18-06
04-14-19 07:30 PM - Post#283623    
    In response to MrPhillie

today was the Bucknell Men's Banquet and it was mentioned by several of the Seniors during their talks that John JB Brown, the current Operations guy for the team is being elevated to asst. coach, " a basic shout out to JB , congratulations and good luck with your new position, on the Bison Staff". Nice event the Seniors, Nate, Nate, Kimbal, and Matt all were pretty emotional in summing up their 4 years with the team, we are very fortunate to get this caliber student athletes, to play at this University.

KenZ 
Postdoc
KenZ
04-26-19 03:02 PM - Post#283946    
    In response to nitlion

Dom Hoffman coming back as DOBO

bisonmania 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-26-07
04-26-19 03:55 PM - Post#283947    
    In response to KenZ

I like this hire.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Hiring a New Assistant Coach
04-26-19 04:19 PM - Post#283948    
    In response to bisonmania

• bisonmania Said:
I like this hire.

Agree.

Article: Johnathan Brown promoted to Assistant Coach; Dom Hoffman named Manager of Basketball Operations

As I mentioned in the comment on Dom in the original post, the timing is good as Dom's Graduate Assistant role was likely just ending at VCU.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
04-27-19 08:06 AM - Post#283956    
    In response to Bison137

It will be great to have Dom aboard!

nitlion 
Masters Student

Reg: 06-18-06
04-30-19 08:36 AM - Post#284002    
    In response to MrPhillie

not only coming back, but is back, we had a nice conversation about the team and I will tell you, Dom is really excited to be part of Bucknell Basketball once again. As a student and player here, the guy knows the University and Bison Basketball, we are lucky he is back.

Bison54 
PhD Student
Bison54
Reg: 11-18-09
Hiring a New Assistant Coach
04-30-19 08:53 AM - Post#284003    
    In response to nitlion

He was a tough player...especially good at drawing charges. Exciting to watch. Glad he is back

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
Re: Hiring a New Assistant Coach
04-30-19 12:11 PM - Post#284010    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:
  • bisonmania Said:
I like this hire.

Agree.

Article: Johnathan Brown promoted to Assistant Coach; Dom Hoffman named Manager of Basketball Operations

As I mentioned in the comment on Dom in the original post, the timing is good as Dom's Graduate Assistant role was likely just ending at VCU.

What masters degree did Hoffman receive?
New season, new team, new dream . . .

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
04-30-19 12:18 PM - Post#284012    
    In response to Bison89

• Bison89 Said:
  • Bison137 Said:
  • bisonmania Said:
I like this hire.

Agree.

See the paragraph in the middle of the article linked above.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
04-30-19 12:58 PM - Post#284017    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:
  • Bison89 Said:
  • Bison137 Said:
  • bisonmania Said:
I like this hire.

Agree.

See the paragraph in the middle of the article linked above.

There is a Masters Degree in Sport Leadership? That sounds like being a Coach to me.
New season, new team, new dream . . .

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.197 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:15 AM