Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: Quaker Fan Behavior        (Topic#23)
Anonymous 

11-22-04 10:57 AM - Post#98    

Seems an appropriate time for this post. Perhaps I am an old fuddy duddy, but I think the pre-game antics of the front row students needs to stop. I can't hear what they are saying from my seat, but from appearances, it wouldn't surprise me if there is a lot of profanity being shouted at the college kids on the opposing team. It's just not right. One kid had a sign with a down arrow he was holding over his head that read, "This guy hates you". It's just bad sportsmanship and the opposing players don't deserve it. I can understand jealousy toward rich nba guys, but these are college kids and they shouldn't be attacked.

Anonymous 

Re: Quaker Fan Behavior
11-22-04 01:57 PM - Post#99    
    In response to

It only took one home game for this to surface? I can assure you that there is no profanity. That is, in fact, the one restriction that the administration places on fan behavior. You think that fans in the NBA heckle because of jealousy? I really don't think that's the impetus. Fans at Penn heckle for the same reason any other team's supporters heckle: to embody home-court advantage and make the place as intimidating as possible.

Anonymous 

11-22-04 04:10 PM - Post#100    
    In response to

Another thing that came up in Madison, where the students seem to have a good time at the games (they do this wacky Bunny Hop dance, they shout "Stand Up Old People" at the alumni section, etc.), was how much less fun the students seem to have at the Palestra than they used to.

Part of that is institutional (no streamers, years without roll-outs before their return) but part of it isn't and I'm not sure how to make the games more social and enjoyable for the casual student fans.

Personally, if the students are at the game yelling I could care less what they're yelling as long as it's not racist or sexist. I don't even have a problem with the occasional well-placed expletive.

One thing I do have a problem with is the new head on the Quaker. It looks like something out of a Pixar movie - except its expression can't change - and it traumatizes young children far more than hearing a bad word.

Let's go back to the Quaker being a real person with his/her own face. That way the Quaker serves as more of a cheerleader and lightning rod than a silly cartoon character.

The Willow 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-21-04
11-22-04 04:53 PM - Post#101    
    In response to

As long as there's no cursing, I think taunting is a sign of clever, exciting, devoted fans. There's no denying the sense of satisfaction I get when, for example, a UCONN Huskie starts laughing during her free throw.

At a time when we're worried about an overall loss of student involvement in Bball, I think the last thing we need to do is discourage students from becoming involved.

oldschooltiger 

Reg: 11-22-04
11-22-04 07:31 PM - Post#102    
    In response to The Willow

As a Princeton fan, I'd be tremendously disappointed if the Penn student section lost some of its enthusiasm. Simply put, they make the Palestra great. I've been to plenty of Penn-Princeton games and, while I've gritted my teeth when Quaker fans have exploded after a run by Penn, I've never been offended by them. I've gotten old, I bring my kids to the game, and I'm more sensitive now than when I was a student but I say let them go crazy.

The Willow's right. There's nothing better than a clever taunt or chant from the stands. Do you remember the "You have 3 points" chant when Penn was killing Princeton near the end of the half about six years ago? It was priceless.

Oh, by the way, who won that game?

Pennsylvania69 
Junior

Loc: Chester County, PA
11-22-04 07:47 PM - Post#103    
    In response to oldschooltiger

Yeah, I remember the chant and also the final score. My daughter was at Wharton then and had an exam that lasted until the half. She walked in and couldn't believe the score. We still blame her the the loss as her presence in the second half must have unset the karma.

Getting back to the original topic, I just wish that there were more students involved and attending the home games. I'm glad to see the R&B crew involved and making the kind of noise that will rattle the visiting team. The Palestra is so great with an active crowd. No reason why the crowd can't be the sixth man as long as the guidelines that The General indicated the Administration already has in place are followed. I'm hoping for a bigger crowd tomorrow night, both student, alums and general public.

seas2k4 
Junior

11-22-04 08:56 PM - Post#104    
    In response to

"The General" and his comrades add so much to the game and are an integral part of our home court advantage. Instead of chiding him, we should be getting on all the students who don't show up for games!!

Keep up the good work.

-seas

Anonymous 

11-23-04 12:38 AM - Post#105    
    In response to seas2k4

Well then I guess I'm outvoted. That doesn't change my opinion that screaming insults in the opposing team's face is boorish. It's a wonder more players don't go into the stands.

The Willow 
Masters Student

11-23-04 01:15 AM - Post#106    
    In response to

Um... Keep in mind the guy went into the stands because he was getting stuff THROWN AT HIM, not because people were taunting.

RIH4life25 

11-23-04 01:21 AM - Post#107    
    In response to

If college kids went into the stands, there education goes bye bye.

mshimmy 
Sophomore
mshimmy
Loc: Miami, FL
11-23-04 08:16 AM - Post#108    
    In response to The Willow

We shouldn't be discouraging anyone from doing anything at this point. When we go on a nice run and the opposition calls time-out, the whole place should be standing and making noise, not just the students.

On a different note, is there anyway to not play the snare drum, or whatever it is, during "Lets Go Quakers" chants? Usually by the 3rd or 4th chant the drum is completely out of sink with the chant, and drains it out and kills it every single time. Of course this is no one's fault, really just the auditory nature of the Palestra and the distance of the band. Everything else the band does is awesome.
"Our team will win our next 10 games in a row. I know that." Judson Wallace, February 8, 2005 http://www.letsgoquakers.com/02082005PrincetonatPenn.mpg

Quaker Fan 
maximus

Reg: 11-23-04
Ancient News
11-23-04 06:53 PM - Post#109    
    In response to

So the old fans behaved...so you think or dream...

This issue pops up every year and the anwser is the same - people don;t change and they won't - these are college kids having a blast at the Palestra and they are really not very bad at all. In the old days they were worse - not better.

I have footage of Penn fans from over 20 years ago chanting "Princeton $ucks - Princeton $sucks" and holding a sign on ESPN that the world read that said "HA HA HA FU(K you"

If anything, fan behavior has gotten better.

Consider the rowbottom incidents of the early 1900s - each year the kids would run out from the Quad and stop a street car and overturn it - the city of Philadelphia - realized that, so to speak - if you leave the snow in the stands, a snowball fight will break out.. thus we have the underground trolly line through campus. Are the kids better? You bet! So be happy with what you have - be grateful for once...

Pennsylvania69 
Junior

Re: Ancient News
11-23-04 07:24 PM - Post#110    
    In response to Quaker Fan

And that -- the Ha Ha HA rollout -- was the event that caused Penn to ban rollouts from the Palestra.

oldschooltiger 

Re: Acceptable Behavior
11-23-04 09:07 PM - Post#111    
    In response to Pennsylvania69

So, what does the ivy basketball community think? Are we offended by "so-and-so sucks" chants or T-shirts? Is it worse if directed towards an individual instead of a school? How about the familiar bullsh*t chant after a particularly bad or crucial call?

My view as a student was that most profanity was acceptable so long as it was directed at George Noon.

Jon Solomon 
T.A.
Jon Solomon
Loc: Mercer County, NJ
11-24-04 03:27 AM - Post#112    
    In response to oldschooltiger

I'm offended by lazy chants. "_______ sucks" falls into that category.
http://www.princetonbasketball.com

The Willow 
Masters Student

11-24-04 04:03 AM - Post#113    
    In response to Jon Solomon

I think the "puck frinceton"-esque t-shirts are stupid, but I'm not really offended by them. Except with Bucknell, then it's funny.

Willow "Get off the court, Bruiser!" Gross

Quaker Fan 
maximus

11-24-04 05:15 PM - Post#114    

the HA HA sign was not a rollout, it was just a sign held up by one student...just want to be precise about it...I have the footage...

JDP 
Masters Student

11-25-04 03:26 PM - Post#115    
    In response to Quaker Fan

I thought the rollout that irked Nova and caused the initial banning went something like:

“What’s the difference between Chris Ford and a dead baby?”

“A dead baby does not suck!”

One of the advantages we have playing on our home courts (Palestra, Levian, Jadwin) is that Penn’s “6th Man” verbally interjects themselves into the game. Having sat in the front row, the players hear the comments – sometimes they respond with a smile, sometimes a gesture and on very special occasions their focus changes from the game and on the fan’s comments.

With the NCAA banning the streamers, other events banning the rollouts and Hang Jeff Davis, the fans not consistently making noise when the shortest player on the court handles the ball, less use of face / body paint – I think the totality of the changes has resulted in fans not feeling as integrated into the game or taking the initiative to devise intelligent and humorous ways to add to the game experience. And in a gym with the closeness to the court and the acoustics of the Palestra that is a negative.

Pennsylvania69 
Junior

11-26-04 12:27 PM - Post#116    
    In response to JDP

That Chris Ford rollout has to be one of the best that ever appeared at the Palestra. I've heard three different stories about the banning of rollouts and signs at the Palestra.

The first involved the HA HA HA - FU sign.
The second involved the Chris Ford rollout.
The third involved a rollout directed to a Villanove player -- "XXX shots all over the floor"

Maybe it was one rollout/sign that caused the Penn Administration to clamp down, maybe it was an accumulation of things. Who knows.

I will say that now that rollouts are back, thanks to the efforts of people including Gil Beverly and Jeff Millman, things are moving in a good direction. The streamers will probably never come back but there was a suggestion a few years ago that, to my knowledge, was never tried. This was to throw the streamers up into the stands from the lower seats, that is, reversing the process. I have to agree that the 'you su(k' chants are borish but are now a part of the Penn culture, and difficult to change or replace. If you are a regular at the Palestra, didn't you think that the students did a good job with there chants at the Drexel game? I thought a number were good, including the "Let's Go Drexel" chant toward the end of the game. And, the "Beat the Traffic" chant at Jadwin a couple of years ago is was terrific.

I wonder if the rollouts and chants back in-the-day were actually any better than what we see today or if time lets us remember only the best of what we heard and saw, mentally discarding the chaff.

Anonymous 

11-26-04 01:45 PM - Post#117    

I witnessed all of them and, concerning the last one on your list of three. Just for historical accuracy, substitute "place" for "floor" and the player was Hank Siementkowski.

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.579 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:20 PM