Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Trevor Woodruff is the new women’s basketball coach        (Topic#23050)
bison75 
Masters Student

Reg: 01-26-06
04-25-19 06:50 PM - Post#283935    

Just saw it on FB

jkrun80 
Postdoc

Reg: 05-07-12
04-25-19 08:53 PM - Post#283936    
    In response to bison75

He certainly has a great record in D3. That strategy has been successful with other coaching hires so far.

KenZ 
Postdoc
KenZ
Reg: 01-23-06
Trevor Woodruff is the new women’s basketball coach
04-25-19 09:18 PM - Post#283937    
    In response to jkrun80

only time will tell when someone new comes in, but certainly looks like a reasonable selection.

i am definitely happy to see this completed so quickly compared to searches in the past. his official start date is tomorrow which is important assuming women's recruiting calendar is the same as the men's as this is a big weekend.

Jeanine Radice's name has remained as an assistant throughout the search. i am hope she will be retained and also will be out on the recruiting trail this weekend.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
04-25-19 09:51 PM - Post#283938    
    In response to KenZ

https://bucknellbison.com/news/2019/4/25/trevor -wo...

bison75 
Masters Student

04-25-19 09:54 PM - Post#283939    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

I think this may be the first time in my thirteen years on this board that I’ve started a new topic. Wonders never cease. 😀

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Re: Trevor Woodruff is the new women’s basketball coach
04-25-19 11:20 PM - Post#283941    
    In response to KenZ

• KenZ Said:
only time will tell when someone new comes in, but certainly looks like a reasonable selection.

i am definitely happy to see this completed so quickly compared to searches in the past. his official start date is tomorrow which is important assuming women's recruiting calendar is the same as the men's as this is a big weekend.

Jeanine Radice's name has remained as an assistant throughout the search. i am hope she will be retained and also will be out on the recruiting trail this weekend.

A few comments:

1. Women's recruiting calendar is the same as the men's, so this weekend is important.

2. As for timing, this search took 23 days. The search when DP left took 21 days. The search after Susan left took 23 days. So it appears that not only this search but other important ones in recent years are being conducted a bit faster than the old days.

3. Radice is no longer listed as an assistant. But hopefully that doesn't mean she might not be kept on after an interview process. I think she would be a very good top assistant for a coach who has no D1 experience and limited experience coaching women at all. Also would add some continuity, which would be a good thing given how successful the program has been.

4. Just a general comment, it is interesting that he was head coach for men's teams for a dozen years before moving over to the women's side at Scranton. Scranton has been a very good D3 program - definitely a step up from Misericordia - but very few men's coaches ever make that move voluntarily. In his case, it is clear it was his choice to leave the men's side - as he had been successful there also. I'd be interested to hear his full story. Whatever his reasons, he ended up coaching a very good group of teams at Scranton.

5. With no D1 experience and no experience recruiting with the academic restrictions of Bucknell and the PL, I hope he signs on a few experienced assistants. Many will recall that Roussell, who also had no D1 experience but who did have experience recruiting high academic athletes, hired two assistants with a lot of D1 experience - one of whom was a holdover from the previous staff. I think that helped him land the first class, which really got the program headed in the right direction.

6. No idea who Coach Woodruff might bring in as assistants, but it wouldn't be surprising to see him bring his Scranton assistant, Taylor Coleman, who has six years of D3 experience at three different PA schools, including Susquehanna. She probably fits as a #3 assistant.

Doktore K 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-11-09
Re: New Women's BB Coach
04-26-19 08:29 AM - Post#283942    
    In response to bison75

B75, maybe we should start calling you "Scoop".... Thanks for filling us in on this announcement.

DoCtoR62 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-18-08
04-26-19 09:37 AM - Post#283943    
    In response to jkrun80

• jkrun80 Said:
He certainly has a great record in D3. That strategy has been successful with other coaching hires so far.

Every basketball head coaching hire since 1984, men and women, has come through the D3 ranks with 7 of the 8 coming directly from a D3 school. Only Kathy Fedorjaka came from D2 Bloomsburg after serving as head coach at Connecticut College. Kathy had previously served as a GA at Bucknell.

The others are Lori Howard (Mount Holyoke), Juliene Simpson (Whitworth) & Aaron Roussell (Chicago) on the women's side, and Pat Flannery (Lebanon Valley), Dave Paulsen (Williams) & Nathan Davis (Randolph-Macon) for the men.

Certainly, something to be said for previous head coaching experience. The formula has seemed to work.

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
04-26-19 01:22 PM - Post#283944    
    In response to DoCtoR62

I think it is also important to note that while it is not a Bucknell, Scranton is a more selective academic institution as well. Coach Woodruff should be well prepared to keep up the strong academic reputation as well as understanding the challenges of recruiting in that environment.

Obvioulsy not to the caliber of Williams College but certainly on par or above Randolph Macon.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
04-26-19 10:35 PM - Post#283954    
    In response to HuskyColonial

Video of Woodruff's first day and some Q&A:

https://twitter.com/Bucknell_WBB/status/1 121911235...

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
04-29-19 06:30 PM - Post#283989    
    In response to Bison137

Richmond press release is out on Roussell's staff. He ended up with every single person from his Bison staff, including Jeanine Radice. I am disappointed she didn't end up staying.

jkrun80 
Postdoc

04-29-19 06:37 PM - Post#283990    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:
Richmond press release is out on Roussell's staff. He ended up with every single person from his Bison staff, including Jeanine Radice. I am disappointed she didn't end up staying.

I am too. I know she interviewed for the head coaching job. Not sure if she was offered the assistant job or not.

Bison54 
PhD Student
Bison54
Reg: 11-18-09
04-30-19 06:09 AM - Post#283997    
    In response to jkrun80

What are the rules about signed recruits?

Also, what about players? Do they all have to sit for a year? Specifically thinking of two sport athletes, can someone compete in another sport, like T&F, immediately if they are a basketball transfer?

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
04-30-19 11:40 AM - Post#284008    
    In response to Bison54

• Bison54 Said:
What are the rules about signed recruits?

Also, what about players? Do they all have to sit for a year? Specifically thinking of two sport athletes, can someone compete in another sport, like T&F, immediately if they are a basketball transfer?

Signed recruits are still contactually obligated to the University, unless they are given a release. What is common is that a school will give the new coach some time to re-recruit the committed player(s) but agree to a release if that doesn't work out.

As for two-sport athletes, a T&F athlete in most cases would be immediately eligible for that sport at a new school but would have to sit a year for basketball. In normal cases, players in the "revenue" sports - FBS football, basketball, baseball, and men's hockey - must sit a year after transferring. Those in other sports don't have to sit, providing that: (a) they don't have any academic or disciplinary problems; (b) it is their first transfer; and (c) the school they are leaving signs a release. Btw, if this final condition is not met, there is an appeal process. But it is rare for a school to not release a player.

bison63 
Postdoc

04-30-19 03:45 PM - Post#284024    
    In response to Bison137

Ask Todd O’ about that.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
04-30-19 04:26 PM - Post#284027    
    In response to bison63

• bison63 Said:
Ask Todd O’ about that.

His problem was that as a two-time transfer, he didn't have the same protection under the rules. Once Martelli decided to screw him, he didn't have much of a chance. However that sort of behavior has been pretty rare in the past decade.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
05-01-19 10:00 PM - Post#284093    
    In response to Bison137

Feature on Woodruff on one of the local TV stations:

https://www.pahomepage.com/sports/trevor-woodruf f-...

bison75 
Masters Student

05-02-19 10:00 AM - Post#284107    
    In response to Bison137

He really is a local. According to the video, he went to Wyalusing Valley HS, just down Route 6 from Towanda, where I grew up. Wyalusing was our big rival when I sat on the bench on the Towanda HS basketball team. Now I gotta root for him. 😀

nitlion 
Masters Student

Reg: 06-18-06
05-03-19 07:41 PM - Post#284167    
    In response to bison75

https://www.dailyitem.com/sports/bucknell-hires -ma... seems like a good hire

jkrun80 
Postdoc

05-03-19 08:23 PM - Post#284170    
    In response to nitlion

• nitlion Said:

That's encouraging. Hopefully, he can find other quality coaches to fill out the staff.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
05-03-19 09:44 PM - Post#284174    
    In response to nitlion

• nitlion Said:

Yes, it seems like a very good hire. It surprises me that she hadn't already moved on to a D1 program given her credentials, which include: Big Ten's all-time leading scorer (2919 points); three-time All-American for a very strong program; six years in the WNBA; five years as an assistant at a D2 program that went 130-29 over that period. Also scored over 3200 point in HS.

Her coach at Indiana, btw, was Tom McConnell, part of the well-known basketball family, which has produced so many players and coaches. One of his sisters is Suzy Serio-McConnell, who was an All-American at Pitt, a very good WNBA player, and the head coach at Duquesne and Pitt. Another sister was the head coach at Colorado. A brother was just voted PA COY for the job he did coaching the Chartiers Valley girls to a 5A girls championship. His niece played for that team and was 1st team All-PA. And one of his nephews is TJ McConnell of the Sixers. McConnell also spent a number of years as the men's head coach at St. Francis before he temporarily left the basketball world for a job with the Catholic church.

Kelly Mazzante - Wikipedia

Kelly Mazzante - Indiana bio

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
05-03-19 10:03 PM - Post#284175    
    In response to Bison137

Article from BucknellBison.com:

https://bucknellbison.com/news/2019/5/3/kelly-m azz...

First part is the same as what was published in the Daily Item but it has a few extra paragraphs as well.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Trevor Woodruff is the new women’s basketball coach
05-03-19 10:55 PM - Post#284177    
    In response to Bison137

Long and interesting article on Woodruff and his coaching philosophies:

http://www.nepabasketball.com/2018-19/articles/Buc...

Interesting excerpt:

Dick Bennett went from Wisconsin-Stevens Point to taking the University of Wisconsin to the Final Four.

“We play a pack-line defense that (Tony Bennett) is famous for,” Woodruff said. “His father is actually kind of, not the inventor, but he made it famous.”

Using the pack-line defensive philosophies, Woodruff’s teams have been consistently tough to score on, particularly on the inside.

Although Izzo is also known for his team’s defensive commitment, Woodruff said his “stealing” as a coach includes some of Izzo’s offensive approach.

“I think we play a bit of an old-school style from what people say is normal basketball now because we don’t necessarily want to go down and shoot fast just to say that we play fast,” he said. “That’s kind of the new trend in basketball; position-less basketball where you run down and take the first quick shot you can. That’s not really how we play.”

Just as the Bucknell administration and its new coach found what seems to be a natural fit, Woodruff is expecting more of the same as his players get to know him.

“One of the fortunate things is a roster which fits the style of play that I like,” Woodruff said. “They’ve played a somewhat similar style – traditional bigs, step your 4 out and shoot, space your guards; very similar things to what we’ve done. I think the learning curve for the players is going to be a quick one. It’s a good fit as far as that goes.”

Because of that, Woodruff said he does not initially plan to make many changes in style. He’ll put together a staff of assistants, hear their opinions and prepare to move forward.

“The basis of what we do is the same foundation we had at Scranton,” he said. “It’s the same foundation we had at Misericordia. It’s been a recipe that works, so we’ll continue to do that.”

Using the pack-line defensive philosophies, Woodruff’s teams have been consistently tough to score on, particularly on the inside.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
05-03-19 11:15 PM - Post#284178    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:

Dick Bennett went from Wisconsin-Stevens Point to taking the University of Wisconsin to the Final Four.

“We play a pack-line defense that (Tony Bennett) is famous for,” Woodruff said. “His father is actually kind of, not the inventor, but he made it famous.”

If Woodruff's teams can play defense anywhere near as well as Bennett's UVA teams do, then Bison fans should be very happy. Over the last eight years, Virginia has been the #1 defensive team in the nation by a wide margin (Pomeroy), despite not having the level of recruits of Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, etc.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
05-16-19 07:37 PM - Post#284601    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:

6. No idea who Coach Woodruff might bring in as assistants, but it wouldn't be surprising to see him bring his Scranton assistant, Taylor Coleman, who has six years of D3 experience at three different PA schools, including Susquehanna. She probably fits as a #3 assistant.

Not surprisingly, Taylor Coleman has been hired as an assistant, following Woodruff over from Scranton. Now need one more assistant - preferably one with D1 experience - plus a DOBO.

Taylor Coleman added to women's basketball coaching staff

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
06-20-19 10:28 AM - Post#285249    
    In response to Bison137

New DOBO is Jasmine Sina, daughter of Gill St. Bernard's coach Mergin Sina, who coached Dom Hoffman among many D1 players. Jasmine Sina played for St. John's this year as a grad transfer and earned a Master's in Sport Management. Previously she played for Binghamton, where she was America East ROY as a frosh. Lost a season to a torn ACL after that.

Still waiting on the third assistant coach, who I assume will be named shortly with a key recruiting period coming up. Hopefully someone with D1 coaching experience.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
07-08-19 10:37 AM - Post#285670    
    In response to Bison137

Third assistant just announced. It is Jim Reed, Bucknell Class of 1985, who was the head coach at Susquehanna for thie past 14 years before stepping down in early May. Reed at one time was a Bison assistant.

https://bucknellbison.com/news/2019/7/8/jim-ree d-8...

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.245 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:37 PM