Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Mike Smith        (Topic#23055)
Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
04-29-19 10:43 AM - Post#283981    

Mike, based upon an instagram video, looks like he is fully recovered and primed for a monster senior year. With Mike and Gabe as the primary PG and SG, and guys like Bibbs and Ellis a year older, we should have an excellent backcourt.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
04-29-19 08:57 PM - Post#283993    
    In response to Chet Forte

Yes, we should have an excellent backcourt next season, but more importantly the Lions are likely to have seven legitimate front court players on the roster next season, which is four more than they had at the start of least season. Columbia lucked out that its three bigs--Tape, Brumant and Nweke all made it thru the season healthy. If any of them had been injured, it would have been a disaster.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

04-30-19 09:49 AM - Post#284005    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

Who are the other front court players besides the three mentioned above and the transfer from Portland?

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

04-30-19 09:54 PM - Post#284038    

Aside from Joseph Smoyer, the 6'11' transfer from the University of Portland, the Lions have three incoming freshmen with decent size in 6'8" Emmanuel Omuamu from Florida, Cam Shockley Okeke, the 6'6" 190 forward from Phillips Exeter, and Asa Shannona 6'6' forward from Pennsylvania. None of the three were heavily recruited in high school, but they all appear to be excellent athletes with the potential to be very good forwards in the Ivy League. Fortunately for Columbia, all three of its returning big men--Tape, Nweke and Brumant--saw a huge amount of playing time last season which helped them to excel towards the end of the Ivy League season. It would be reasonable to expect the same three players to see plenty of floor time again, specially at the start of the season. Given the strong play of the Tape, Nweke, Brumant trio down the stretch, it is almost certain that they will see the lion's share of playing time early in the season. The wild card, is, of course Joseph Smoyer, who seems poised to make an immediate impact in the 2019-20 season. At 6'11" 229, Smoyer has the size to be a dominant center in the Ivy League. Also, from what I have read about him, it seems that he a very good basketball player who, for whatever reason, may have been underutilized in Portland. Smoyer could be a major asset to the Lions next year. Patrick Tape should thrive with Smoyer sharing playing time with him at center. I see Nweke becoming a power forward for the Lions. Nweke's potential is very high. Finally, I believe that Randall Brumant is another player who developed nicely last year and could become an excellent forward in this coming season.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

05-01-19 11:39 AM - Post#284054    

I have been predicting great things for Tape based upon the fact that he has incredible athleticism for a 6’10” man, and late last season he was arguably one of the best big men in the IL. I still think that the best is yet to come and that, if he puts in the work this summer and stays healthy, he will be all Ivy. I am also very high on both Nweke and Brumant.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

05-01-19 05:11 PM - Post#284086    

Agree with you on Tape, Nweke and Brumant. Barring another wave of injuries and pre-season attritions similar to what happened last year, Columbia should have a very good basketball team and could even compete for the Ivy League Championship. After all, all three of the Lions' key front court players are returning, plus Steffaninni, Smith, Killingsworth and Ellis. If Smoyer and one or two of the incoming freshman make an immediate impact, the Lions could be very good in the 2019-2020 season.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

05-01-19 05:14 PM - Post#284087    

Oops. I inadvertently omitted Tai Bibbs. I have liked Bibbs from Day One and expect him to have a tremendous year!

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

05-01-19 07:08 PM - Post#284090    

I fully agree on Bibbs. I think he can have a great career with us. Very smooth and athletic but must be more aggressive and not go into a shell if he misses a few shots.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.167 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:37 AM