Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Changes in College Basketball Rules        (Topic#23113)
Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
06-05-19 02:42 PM - Post#284976    

Changes just adopted for the men's game:

1. The 3-point arc is moving to 22 feet, 1¾ inches from the hoop, as opposed to the current 20-9. The longer arc was used in the NIT this year and 3-point shooting pcts dropped from 35.2% to 33%. The new arc, btw, is the same as is used in international play.

2. When a team gets an offensive rebound, the shot clock will only reset to 20 seconds.

3. Coaches can now call live-ball timeouts in the final two minutes of the second half or of OT.

4. Replay may be used in the final two minutes of the second half or of OT when there is a question about a goaltending call.

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
06-05-19 06:53 PM - Post#284994    
    In response to Bison137

I’m sorry but tinkering with rules of a sport each year is so American.

nitlion 
Masters Student

Reg: 06-18-06
06-05-19 07:29 PM - Post#284996    
    In response to HuskyColonial

not to show my age, however, I saw my first Bucknell game in Davis in the mid 1950's, more games then I can count. My "bitch" with rule changes it seems to make the refs the center of attention during the games with the players just bystanders at times. The rule changes seem to take the fun out of attending and watching these young guys and girls play the game, maybe it is just my take. Example, last year, let's call all these hook and holds, we saw how long that lasted, after several early season games it was rarely a factor. I contend that nobody pays their money to watch the refs, just maybe it is time that the higher powers, just let these kids play ball.

DoCtoR62 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-18-08
06-05-19 09:03 PM - Post#284999    
    In response to HuskyColonial

• HuskyColonial Said:

US needs to suppress its ego and adopt the international rules.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
06-06-19 12:13 AM - Post#285001    
    In response to DoCtoR62

• DoCtoR62 Said:
  • HuskyColonial Said:

US needs to suppress its ego and adopt the international rules.

I would be strongly opposed to adopting certain of the international (FIBA) rules:

1. With FIBA rules, is legal to swat a ball off the rim or just grab it as it is bouncing around, about to go in. Also legal to commit offensive goaltending. I don't see any reason to want to legalize these actions.

2. FIBA allows more timeouts, and they are twice as long as most timeouts in the NCAA. If anything, I think too much time is wasted on timeouts already. In the NCAA, max time for called timeouts in a game is 2:30. In the international game, it is 5:00 - double the time. (Note: FIBA rules have one less media timeout per half, which offsets some of the difference.)

3. International shot clock is only 24 seconds long - and only 14 seconds after an offensive rebound. I think that's too short and would make for a worse game than the current NCAA 30-second clock.

4. FIBA uses the "old" NCAA rule on technicals, where a team gets one FT PLUS possession of the ball. Thus a technical when a team is in possession of the ball receives a much harsher penalty than a technical when not in possession of the ball. I prefer the penalty to be equal in either case.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
Re: Changes in College Basketball Rules
06-06-19 08:13 AM - Post#285007    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:
Changes just adopted for the men's game:

1. The 3-point arc is moving to 22 feet, 1¾ inches from the hoop, as opposed to the current 20-9. The longer arc was used in the NIT this year and 3-point shooting pcts dropped from 35.2% to 33%. The new arc, btw, is the same as is used in international play.

I like that they moved back the 3-point line. It was becoming too easy for some players to hit 3's. It will be interesting to see if players adapt to shooting from 1'-4.75" further away or if shooting percentages drop and stay down.

Regarding a shorter shot clock when getting an offensive rebound, I can see pluses and minuses to this. Overall, I think that it should results in more shots being taken. This does not mean that it will be a better game, but it should be more action packed.

New season, new team, new dream . . .

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.103 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:45 PM