Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Question about the current recruiting environment        (Topic#23135)
rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
07-10-19 10:44 AM - Post#285731    
    In response to palestra38

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2019/7/10/fen ci...

- Harvard has dismissed head fencing coach Peter Brand after an independent inquiry into the 2016 sale of his home found he violated Harvard’s conflict of interest policy, Athletics Director Robert L. Scalise wrote in an email to athletics staff Tuesday. -

- Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences Claudine Gay announced the investigation in April, after the Boston Globe reported that Brand sold his Needham, Mass. home to Jie Zhao — the father of two current and former Harvard fencers — for well over its assessed market value. -

- Brand and other Harvard coaches are required to annually agree to the University’s conflict of interest policy. The University also provided coaches with additional conflict of interest training following its announcement of the investigation into Brand.

“A conflict of interest exists when individual commitment to the University may be compromised by personal benefit,” an Athletics income disclosure form reads. “Employees are expected to avoid situations or activities that could interfere with their unencumbered exercise of judgment in the best interests of Harvard University.” -

It is interesting to compare this with Penn's situation with Allen.

Harvard had an independent investigation of this sale, the investigation did not take that long (3 or 4 months?) and its coaches agree, annually to the University's conflict of interest policy.

From the DP's reporting, Penn hired an outside expert to oversee an internal investigation. I think that this is different from an independent investigation.

Allen was removed from the Penn Hall of Fame, but the results of the investigation have not been released and it has almost been a year since it began.

Penn may have its coaches go through a yearly conflict of interest training, as well, but I don't think the AD or her spokesmen have mentioned this.

https://www.thedp.com/article/2019/02/penn- athleti...

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-22-04
07-10-19 10:48 AM - Post#285732    
    In response to rbg

you seem personally wounded by this rbg. I don't get it. it's a bad look for you.

I look at the outcomes of these (Harvard and Penn) and they're substantially similar. I'm sorry Morris Esformes' spleen has not been delivered personally to you on a platter.

rbg 
Postdoc

07-10-19 11:17 AM - Post#285733    
    In response to Jeff2sf

I do sincerely appreciate the concern.

I am trying to look at all these events objectively, but I'm sure there is an element of subjectivity that gets in the way.

When I see these news items, it reinforces my thoughts that the former coach and student involved in the Allen situation have been given varying forms of penalties, but they just do not seem to match the seriousness of the infractions. My worry is without those stricter penalties, there is a greater chance for this to happen again.

With regards to Penn, I feel they owe it to their students and alumni to be more forthcoming.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-22-04
07-10-19 11:37 AM - Post#285734    
    In response to rbg

would you like us to hire jerome just so we can fire him again? We can't. He doesn't work for us anymore. He sucks, it was tough to lose a boyhood idol of mine but I've moved on.

Your bloodlust apparently has you complimenting the way Harvard handled this when it doesn't seem any different than how we did substantively and also has you calling for them to throw the book at a kid who didn't choose his parents and by all accounts has worked hard during his four years at Penn.

rbg 
Postdoc

Question about the current recruiting environment
07-10-19 01:10 PM - Post#285737    
    In response to Jeff2sf

Jeff,

I hope that it came across that I was being sincere in my comments toward your earlier post. I do appreciate your concerns and opinions, even when we disagree.

Not being an employment lawyer, I cannot say what Penn could actually do to Jerome after he was no longer its employee. With that mentioned, I agree with you that removing him from the Hall of Fame is probably the extent of it.

I do think the judge should have followed the recommendation of the prosecutor for 4 months of jail time, which was a already a reduction based on his cooperation.

With the student, based on what I have read, I am of the belief that he and Allen had inappropriate communications/contact during his recruitment. For me, that is the simplest explanation for my thoughts on explusion.

If the Penn investigation ended up speaking to all parties concerned and everyone was in agreement that 1) the student and coach did not have any inappropriate contact during recruitment or 2) the student and coach did have inappropriate contact, but the student truly did not know the rules, then I would certainly understand why Penn allowed him to continue towards his degree.

Your points that decisions have been made on Allen and the student are well taken and I am trying to move on from them. However, I still feel that Penn's handling of the situation is up for discussion.

Back in February, Grace Calhoun told the DP that they had reviewed everything around the situation and were waiting for the completion of Allen's testimony against the student's father before releasing the results. That testimony happened at the beginning of March, over four months ago.

The longer that she/Penn holds off on releasing the information, the more it allows people like me to continue to bring up the situation. Until they release the findings and respond to questions, I am probably not going to let it go - whether I add any posts on the subject is another matter ....

Edited by rbg on 07-10-19 01:22 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.662 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:57 AM