Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Betley        (Topic#23187)
Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
07-13-19 01:59 PM - Post#285841    
    In response to Streamers

Regarding Betley, I'm extremely gratified he's officially cleared to play now. Based on some stuff I had read recently, I was under the impression that he might not be fully cleared until after the start of the season, so this gives me a lot more confidence that he actually might be a major contributor this season.

As for Dingle, correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Donahue proven correct every time he's publicly said that a kid will start as a freshman and be a good player? I don't pretend to know what to expect from any of the freshmen, but it's nice to see the coach showing such enthusiasm.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
07-13-19 05:05 PM - Post#285843    
    In response to Silver Maple

To be honest, I think he was a bit too optimistic about Washington last year, at least publicly, as things played out.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
07-14-19 01:16 AM - Post#285851    
    In response to Streamers

Right, but if Goodman is bringing the ball up at the end and is defending the PG, isn't he pretty much the PG?

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
07-14-19 08:11 AM - Post#285852    
    In response to Penndemonium

• Penndemonium Said:
Right, but if Goodman is bringing the ball up at the end and is defending the PG, isn't he pretty much the PG?

Sure, if that’s how it plays out. My point was that I don’t think being a pure PG is optimal for Dev’s game and that I don’t think we will see Betley in the backcourt much.

We also need to consider the overall backcourt depth and defensive skills. Woods durability and defense spoiled us. We will need the underclass men to step up and fill that void.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
07-14-19 08:27 PM - Post#285877    

• Silver Maple Said:
Regarding Betley, I'm extremely gratified he's officially cleared to play now. Based on some stuff I had read recently, I was under the impression that he might not be fully cleared until after the start of the season, so this gives me a lot more confidence that he actually might be a major contributor this season.

Maybe I am being too conservative but I didn't read anywhere he is officially cleared to play. Here is the quote from the article:

There is good news elsewhere on the roster: Shooting guard Ryan Betley is fully healthy after rupturing the patellar tendon in his right knee five minutes into last season’s opening game. The Downingtown native was Penn’s top scorer in the 2017-18 campaign, and was sorely missed on the court and in the locker room.

There may be a difference between a doctor saying he is officially cleared to play and him being fully healthy per his coach.

Our esteemed author may have updated information but I have not heard Betley is officially cleared by doctors. I expect he will be at some point but I am not sure that has happened yet.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
07-14-19 08:35 PM - Post#285878    
    In response to PennFan10

Jon Rothstein's tweet from July 11th

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1 149370902...

- Penn's Ryan Betley (knee) has been fully cleared for all basketball related activities, per Steve Donahue. -

PennFan10 
Postdoc

07-14-19 08:38 PM - Post#285879    
    In response to rbg

I gotta get a twitter account!

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
07-14-19 09:40 PM - Post#285883    
    In response to Streamers

• Streamers Said:
To be honest, I think he was a bit too optimistic about Washington last year, at least publicly, as things played out.

Not sure I agree. Washington was great last season until he got hurt. Also, it's not at all unusual for freshmen to hit the wall towards the end of the season. I think it's likely that next season, now that he's more acclimated to the college game, the physical nature of the play and the length of the season, he'll hold up better.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
07-14-19 10:44 PM - Post#285885    
    In response to Streamers

We really didn’t see the traditional 1-2 much at all last year — Jake was off the ball almost exclusively. Woods and Goodman were basically combo guards when together. Jake obviously could serve as another ball handler when necessary, but that really wasn’t his role.

Yes we did see more traditional pure PG from Jake as a freshman under Donahue. But we really haven’t seen it since.

I think Goodman will be the PG this year, perhaps with Dingle in a combo role.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

07-14-19 11:54 PM - Post#285887    
    In response to SomeGuy

Washington is going to be a stud. I would bet on him having a great year. He is a workhorse type of player, always in the gym working on his shot and his game. That usually translates well.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
07-15-19 12:23 PM - Post#285905    

• Silver Maple Said:

Not sure I agree. Washington was great last season until he got hurt. Also, it's not at all unusual for freshmen to hit the wall towards the end of the season. I think it's likely that next season, now that he's more acclimated to the college game, the physical nature of the play and the length of the season, he'll hold up better.

I mostly agree here, except for the part where Washington was 'great' before the injury. He was pretty good for a freshman. He is also a streak shooter (you could always tell what kind of a night he was going to have when he hoisted a 3 on his first possession) and all that goes with that. I think we all hope he will develop into the kind of combo guard that can play alongside Dev, but Steve knows he needs additional depth and matchup options in the backcourt.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
07-15-19 12:37 PM - Post#285907    
    In response to SomeGuy

• SomeGuy Said:
We really didn’t see the traditional 1-2 much at all last year — Jake was off the ball almost exclusively. Woods and Goodman were basically combo guards when together. Jake obviously could serve as another ball handler when necessary, but that really wasn’t his role.

Yes we did see more traditional pure PG from Jake as a freshman under Donahue. But we really haven’t seen it since.

My recollection is toward the end of last year, especially when protecting a lead near the end of games, we saw Jake bringing the ball up when he was out there, which was often. Regardless, it's my sense that SD, like most coaches, wants someone he can trust in that role specifically, especially if he is a reliable FT shooter - or am I asking too much there?

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.415 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:49 PM