Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: Rankings this week?        (Topic#2323)
atlantabison 
PhD Student

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Reg: 01-25-06
02-05-06 12:47 AM - Post#14651    

With losses this week for Michigan, Indiana, Maryland, UNI, LSU, & Wisconsin, how far will we move up in the rankings. That is 6 of the 9 directly ahead of us. Any chance we sneak in this week by default.

GoBison 
Junior
GoBison
Reg: 01-22-06
Re: Rankings this week?
02-05-06 01:11 AM - Post#14652    
    In response to atlantabison

I really doubt it... but, UNI did blaze the trail for mid-majors last week.

Bison1999 
Junior

Reg: 01-23-06
Short Answer:
02-05-06 02:47 AM - Post#14653    
    In response to GoBison

No.

And given what I heard about our play @ Army & Colgate, they don't deserve it. Any "default" votes that are handed out this week will go to the outsider Major schools who, because of name alone, are assumed to be better. After what I heard on the radio this week, however, I'm not sure that would be wrong.

There seems to be something amiss with the team right now. ALL games 2/11 through the Lehigh game scare the crap outta me right now.

Go Bison!

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
Reg: 01-24-06
Re: Short Answer:
02-06-06 02:18 AM - Post#14654    
    In response to Bison1999

I think we may have an outside shot. Enough teams from 20-25 or above us in others receiving votes lost that we deserve to jump ahead. However, as mentioned, the pollsters are against mid-majors (although UNI snook in last week), so a lower team like Seton Hall or Kansas may take the 25th spot instead. Who knows though...We can keep our fingers crossed that we get that honor.

The big question is where our votes are coming from right now. Is it 10+ voters ranking us near 25 or is it 3-4 voters ranking us more towards 15-20. If it is the latter, it will be harder to gain additional votes. However, if lots of voters already have us near 25, then they could easily bump us up more, and that would also suggest we could more easily grab new votes.

Two more wins this week may still be needed to do the trick.

id_203 

Reg: 01-26-06
02-06-06 05:30 AM - Post#14655    
    In response to BUFan

i would say that unless there are some very weird results next week, we would make the top 25 for sure with 2 more wins. We have a shot with 7 of the 9 teams in front of us losing (colorado lost since atlantabison's post). Kansas beating OK was bad for us but we will gain some serious votes in any case. We just have to look out for holy cross and then we will be ranked for our game against NIU.

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
02-06-06 11:41 AM - Post#14656    
    In response to id_203

In the miraculous event that we were to get ranked today, that would fire up HC even more. Talking to a friend of mine who goes there, the campus is really psyched for the game, and it is going to be an electric atmosphere. If we leave there with a win, it will be a true credit to our team. I am really looking forward to that game.

ericatbucknell 
PhD Student
ericatbucknell
02-06-06 02:04 PM - Post#14657    
    In response to BUFan

i highly doubt we will be ranked this week. however, we should pick up at least a good number of votes and that is what is important right now.

there are two keys to getting ranked as a mid-major. one, you need to have very few losses. weve got that covered. two, you have to build momentum. by that i mean that you need to keep picking up a few more votes every week. in doing so, eventually you will come to a point where a good number of people have you fairly high (maybe around 20th) and consequently have a good enough number of votes to make you look much more appealing to those who had not previously voted for you. the tipping point seems to come around 27th.
The Bracket Bustin' Bison are Back!

Okay. First round streak BACK ON!

bison63 
Postdoc

02-06-06 02:46 PM - Post#14658    
    In response to Bison1999

Quote:

No.

And given what I heard about our play @ Army & Colgate, they don't deserve it. Any "default" votes that are handed out this week will go to the outsider Major schools who, because of name alone, are assumed to be better. After what I heard on the radio this week, however, I'm not sure that would be wrong.

There seems to be something amiss with the team right now. ALL games 2/11 through the Lehigh game scare the crap outta me right now.

Go Bison!

OK GB, if something is "amiss" with this team, it is certainly not as amiss as it was last year at this time. And that turned out OK.

I think that any conference road win is a good win, and we've won in 3 of the 4 enemy arenas that we lost in last year. Further, we actually beat Colgate at Cotterell by more this year than we did last. (1 point last year, 9 this year)The team can talk all they want about "respect" for their opponents, but it has to be hard to get up for most of the PL after playing a legit big time schedule OOC. It is a long season, and it is hard to maintain a peak for the whole year.

So I am taking the "glass half full" approach and anticipating we will respond when the time comes. HC at Hart and UNI will be very tough. HC can atone for a lot of disappointments this year with a win over us. So like everybody else they will be loaded for bear vs us. I think that the only team that may have taken us lightly this year is Syracuse.

ericatbucknell 
PhD Student
ericatbucknell
02-06-06 03:27 PM - Post#14659    
    In response to bison63

on a somewhat topical note, we held onto our number 2 spot in the newest mid-major top 25...

http://www.collegeinsider.com/mmpoll/

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
02-06-06 04:16 PM - Post#14660    
    In response to ericatbucknell

Looking at the mmpoll, Gonzaga has the same record as us and does not play in a conference all that much better than ours. Also, the quality wins and quality losses are not much different. Therefore, if Gonzaga suffers a bad WAC loss before we suffer a bad Patriot loss, I think we have a CHANCE to sneek ahead of them. Gonzaga is ranked highly on reputation. However, I get the feeling that the mid-major poll values reputation less than the Top 25. Also, I think some mid-major coaches hate Gonzaga and do not consider them a mid-major, so they would jump at the chance to bump them from the top spot.

I know my argument is flawed by the fact that BU lost to a bad WAC team, but I also think that some Patriot League teams would give Gonzaga a fight when played on A PL home court.

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
02-06-06 04:19 PM - Post#14661    
    In response to BUFan

By the way, I meant WCC, not WAC...My bad.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
02-06-06 04:33 PM - Post#14662    
    In response to BUFan

Quote:

Looking at the mmpoll, Gonzaga has the same record as us and does not play in a conference all that much better than ours. Also, the quality wins and quality losses are not much different. Therefore, if Gonzaga suffers a bad WAC loss before we suffer a bad Patriot loss, I think we have a CHANCE to sneek ahead of them. Gonzaga is ranked highly on reputation. However, I get the feeling that the mid-major poll values reputation less than the Top 25. Also, I think some mid-major coaches hate Gonzaga and do not consider them a mid-major, so they would jump at the chance to bump them from the top spot.

I know my argument is flawed by the fact that BU lost to a bad WAC team, but I also think that some Patriot League teams would give Gonzaga a fight when played on A PL home court.

No chance of us passing Gonzaga unless they have several bad losses. Their overall record is much stronger than ours, as well as having the Gonzaga name. They are #11 in RPI and #10 out of conference. We are #42 and #21 respectively. They have wins over Maryland, Michigan State, St Joes, Virginia, and a few other names. Seven wins in total against top 100 teams compared to our 3 wins. They also had a 2-point loss to UConn that helps with the voters.

ericatbucknell 
PhD Student
ericatbucknell
02-06-06 05:14 PM - Post#14663    
    In response to Bison137

new espn/coaches poll is out... bucknell stayed in 30th but added 11 new votes (up to 29).

Panthers Win!! 

Reg: 01-30-06
02-06-06 06:04 PM - Post#14664    

Just FYI, UNI dropped to 28th in Coach's and remained in AP Poll at 25. Wouldn't it be cool if we both could be ranked at the 11th?

Again FYI, another very tough game for UNI against Wichita State Tuesday evening.

ericatbucknell 
PhD Student
ericatbucknell
02-06-06 06:09 PM - Post#14665    
    In response to Panthers Win!!

bucknell moved up to 28th in this weeks ap poll by picking up an additional 45 votes (we now have 81). very exciting! now if we could just get through this week!

jck45 
Junior

02-06-06 06:50 PM - Post#14666    

I'm surprise, that's a HUGE jump in the AP. I think we're only two wins away....

GoBison 
Junior
GoBison
02-07-06 12:57 AM - Post#14667    
    In response to jck45

81 is the 2nd highest AP Poll point tally for the Bison this year (Week #5 - the week before Villanova - BU was in the #26 slot with 114 points).

Looking forward to another exciting week ahead - the team is certainly capable of winning both games, which might put them over the top as Eric said....

id_203 

Reg: 01-26-06
02-07-06 03:06 AM - Post#14668    
    In response to GoBison

has anyone heard of a #25 team losing to an unranked team and staying in the poll? I guess the voters just didnt think there was anyone good enough to put ahead of UNI or Colorado.

jck45 
Junior

02-07-06 03:20 AM - Post#14669    
    In response to id_203

Well, it was an away game against the second best best team in their league and there were sooo many losses by other ranked teams.... That being said, I probably have to agree with you.

We will not do so well if we lose to HC.

Panthers Win!! 

Reg: 01-30-06
02-07-06 12:10 PM - Post#14670    
    In response to id_203

As the resident UNI fan frequenting your board until our Bracket Buster game I suppose I'll jump in here and defend UNI's ranking. No disrespect of the Bison intended here. I think we all know the polls are biased in favor of the "BCS conferences". If you examine what teams immediately above and below did in the last week as well as the teams UNI has defeated it wouldn't be too unexpected.

All comments are based on Ken Pomeroy's RPI computations found here: http://kenpom.com/rpi.php

UNI's RPI is 15 with victories over teams with RPI's of 7 (defeated top team in Big Ten), 16, 21, and 23. The loss UNI suffered last week was to Creighton (RPI of 16) on Creighton's home court (Creighton was favored by the Las Vegas odds makers) where seemingly no one beats them (crowd of 14,900 for the game, fifth largest in their history, undefeated this season there). UNI's at the top of the fifth best conference in the country (again using RPI as a measure of relative conference strength), has 20 victories for the season, etc. It makes sense to have at least one MVC team in the top 25 rather than two or more from conferences rated sixth or seventh (Big 12 or Pac 10). They might as well rank the team from the MVC with the most total victories and highest in RPI. Personally what I am a bit surprised about is that Creighton or Wichita State didn't move up and UNI out.

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.203 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:28 AM