Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Rankings this week?        (Topic#2323)
BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
Reg: 01-24-06
Re: Short Answer:
02-07-06 02:00 PM - Post#14671    
    In response to Panthers Win!!

Panthers Win, I think I speak for most people on this board when I say that I agree with you. You are in the same boat as us. UNI should've been in the top 25 a long time ago, but since they do not play on TV or in a major conference, the pollsters show no respect. Being in the top 25 increases TV interest and ratings, so people are biased and don't show you any love. Also, with less TV exposure, voters don't get to see how good you are. I think in a perfect world, both Bucknell and UNI would be in the top 25. In my opinion, teams like Colorado and Indiana would not doubt lose to the Bison and UNI more than 50% of the time on a neutral court.

atlantabison 
PhD Student

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Reg: 01-25-06
02-07-06 04:44 PM - Post#14672    
    In response to BUFan

Which is why we never get to play them on a neutral court.

SteelCity 
Junior
SteelCity
Reg: 02-04-06
02-09-06 12:07 AM - Post#14673    
    In response to Panthers Win!!

Here's what I don't get about some teams in the MVC: who did WSU beat out of conference? What about SIU? Nothing stands out to me as impressive. Creighton had some decent wins over Dayton, George Mason, and Nebraska but none of those are powerhouse teams. NIU had the best OOC run, with big wins at LSU and Iowa. Those are both impressive wins and I can see why they are ranked so high. It seems everyone talks about 4 maybe 5 teams from the MVC making the tournament, but I only see NIU and Creighton as having proven anything so far.

Panthers Win!! 

Reg: 01-30-06
02-09-06 12:39 AM - Post#14674    
    In response to SteelCity

I agree to an extent Steel. I think it's relative though. The reason that Missouri State and Wichita State are getting a lot of talk as well is, in my opinion, the ordinarily overhyped "BCS" type conferences, the Big 12 and Pac 10, are down this year. As a result the MVC is fifth rated as a conference (which usually gets the conference in that position five bids). Of course Conference USA is down with so many schools going to the Big East, the Big East is huge in terms of number of schools, etc. so it's not as simple as I described.

Bottom line is I think Missouri State and Wichita State aren't losing. While they have no outstanding wins they do have a lot of wins, few losses or "bad losses" and are playing in a highly rated conference this year. I'm not sure it's fair but I definitely think it's fairer than very down conferences this year like the Pac 10 and Big 12 sending five teams.

Edit: Please don't think I'm anal, and hopefully no offense but Northern Iowa is the "University of Northern Iowa" aka "UNI". "NIU" is "Northern Illinois University". Not a big deal and I almost hesitate to mention it because it's a mistake made often but I'm probably one of the few around with degrees from both.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.372 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:39 PM