Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Major Questions for 2019-2020        (Topic#23266)
Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
08-21-19 05:31 PM - Post#287137    

Major questions for this year's basketball campaign:

- Will Betley be healthy for his senior year?
- Is Wang healthy?
- Will any of the interesting Freshman class be ready to play major minutes this season? (Charles, Dingle, Lorca-Lloyd, Monroe, Martz)
- Will any other returning players step up? (Jerome, Imegwu, Scott, Mijakowski, Simmons, Ryan, and Jackson)?

Likely starting 5: Betley, Wang, Brodeur, Goodman, and Washington. Not a bad start. Rothschild, Woods, Silpe, and Donahue will be missed, but it seems like this year's team could be an improvement just by getting Betley back. We will be more meaningfully improved if Scott or Simmons come back ready to play.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Major Questions for 2019-2020
08-21-19 05:39 PM - Post#287139    
    In response to Penndemonium

Betley and Wang, if healthy would make our starting five more dangerous than any Ivy team other than Harvard, which has not demonstrated those guys can play together.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Re: Major Questions for 2019-2020
08-21-19 05:54 PM - Post#287140    
    In response to palestra38

Yes - we were lacking for shooters with Wang, Washington, and Betley injuries. If we can keep at least 2 of them very healthy (and ideally all 3), that would complement Brodeur and make us much more dangerous this year.

It seems like any of our Freshmen could be possible contributors this year too, although who it will be is hard to predict.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-22-04
08-21-19 07:22 PM - Post#287142    

Given Donahue's quotes, I'd be shocked if Dingle wasn't playing in the rotation.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
08-21-19 09:37 PM - Post#287144    
    In response to Jeff2sf

I agree on Dingle. This team needs to replace major guard minutes. There has to at least one crush contributor. No reason to think Betley won’t be back to his old for. Wang concerns me. I don’t know if he is tough enough or healthy enough. Jarrod will take Maxs role capably with more scoring. My biggest concern is at guard. We need one new face to come through to complement Dev, Ryan and Bryce. Dingle is the most likely.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
08-21-19 10:32 PM - Post#287147    
    In response to PennFan10

We saw flashes of strong play from Simmons. I agree he can plug in where Max was. Scott will likely get every chance to earn minutes if he plays stronger D. He has some skills that are unique among the upperclassmen. If Dingle proves he can man the point by January, that would be huge.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

08-22-19 07:00 PM - Post#287171    
    In response to Streamers

I re-watched the on-line videos of the Freshmen. They all look pretty good. I guess I have to consider Dingle the favorite to break out since Donahue and nychoops both spoke so highly of him. That said, Jonah Charles also looked very very good. From the videos, he looked similar to Dingle in style and as good.

Lorca Lloyd really filled out since his 2017 videos, and I'd imagine he's even stronger after this summer. I wasn't so sure about him from his 2017-18 videos, but he could be a beast if he continues his apparent trajectory of growth/improvement. He fills a definite need, so he should see the court as a Freshman and definitely as a sophomore.

Monroe looks like an athlete beyond what we are used to. He is still rising when he dunks. My concern is that a lot of great athletes don't build out the skill sets to stand out in college. He's got the athleticism, so he just needs to be good enough with his handles or the shot (and defense) to succeed at the next level.

Martz is a tweener. A bit short and skinny as a forward, a bit slow to be a guard. Some tweeners find a way to build their niche, whereas some struggle. If he can shoot off of screens as well as he showed on the videos and defend college players, then I am optimistic for him.

I like this class quite a bit.

91Quake 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-22-04
08-22-19 07:19 PM - Post#287172    

Lucas Monroe acted as his team's PG for all intents last year. Pretty good handle for a guy with his size but we may not want him at the point. Also was taking a pretty good amount of outside shots from what I saw. Not sure exactly how he will fit in with what Donahue wants to do.

Martz is not really a tweener in my book. He is really a 3 who may also play as a 4 in our system. He has very good shooting form from what I have seen online and hit at a pretty good clip.

I think the injuries will largely dictate who gets opportunities early. Jelani being out means Dingle gets a shot. If Wang is not healthy or Betley is not 100%, I would think Martz or Jonah Charles get a shot.

That said, I think Bryce Washington could be a beast. If he adds some muscle that along with experience will help him a huge amount going to the hoop and on defense. We know he can shoot so if he rounds out his game look out.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
08-22-19 08:15 PM - Post#287173    
    In response to 91Quake

I've said it before, but the guy I want to see make a leap is Jarrod Simmons. I liked his defense down the stretch last year, and if he can make the sort of improvement Aririguzoh made last season for Priinceton (or even close), he will be a valuable member of the rotation.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

08-22-19 11:59 PM - Post#287174    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

• weinhauers_ghost Said:
I've said it before, but the guy I want to see make a leap is Jarrod Simmons. I liked his defense down the stretch last year, and if he can make the sort of improvement Aririguzoh made last season for Priinceton (or even close), he will be a valuable member of the rotation.

I like his athletic and skill package, but I'm not sure if he's engaged enough. He doesn't seem to be looking for an edge, position, and leverage at all times, and he doesn't keep moving. That is what will make him a more disruptive player on both offense and defense. He may be our best option for a big man off the bench regardless, but I don't know if Donahue will trust him enough to eventually to become an anchor player if he negates some of his strengths with a minus on consistency and intangibles.

Lorca-Lloyd's more recent video looked pretty good. Simmons is probably a lot stronger right now, but I can imagine Lorca-Lloyd overtaking him in a year unless Simmons takes that next step.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Major Questions for 2019-2020
08-23-19 11:32 AM - Post#287175    

Lorca-Lloyd's biggest contribution this year (not after that) may be lighting a fire under Simmons. I still think Jarrod has it in him to be a factor.

Martz can flat out shoot it. If Caleb Wood can be a highly useful 6th man in the Ivies, Martz can too.

I have not seen the other frosh but I like what I am hearing and reading.

As always, we will see (just not at home) quite a few experimental combinations in out of conference play until SD sorts out what he has and likes, but he has a lot of depth and versatility to work with.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.251 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:41 AM