Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: "The Great Enrollment Crash"        (Topic#23296)
BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
09-09-19 11:13 PM - Post#287541    

From Bucknell's VP of enrollment management, an interesting look at a sea change in national college enrollment trends with insights into how it's being felt at Bucknell.
https://www.chronicle.com/interactives/20190906 -Co...

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
09-10-19 09:17 AM - Post#287545    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

BRW, that is very interesting and does not surprise me. I know that most of the parents that my wife and I know are very stressed out about how expensive private school tuition has become. When did $70k per year become the norm?

There is no way that many people can pay $280k for an undergraduate education, especially when medical, dental, law school, etc. is next. As such, even though we live in a middle class to upper-middle class town that values a quality education, the overwhelming majority of students seem to be going to state schools or to the private school that gives them the largest merit scholarship. Ironically, we just had a talk with my 17-year-old about this topic. He definitely does not want to graduate with any debt. So, as you can imagine, this will influence his decision making process.

Universities need to find a way to drastically cut costs or offer larger merit scholarships. Otherwise, it would not surprise me if some 2nd and 3rd tier schools end up closing or consolidating.
New season, new team, new dream . . .

jkrun80 
Postdoc

Reg: 05-07-12
09-10-19 10:41 AM - Post#287546    
    In response to Bison89

Southern Vermont College closed this year as have other small private colleges. I expect to see a shift in Bucknell's focus as well. Whether the current culture on campus can adapt is another question.

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
09-10-19 11:05 AM - Post#287547    
    In response to jkrun80

I teach at Florida State College at Jacksonville. I have students who are applying to prestigious schools after saving moneyfor two years at the community college level. Same demographics as well. Middle to upper middle class families (mostly white) who want ultimately want a powerful degree but cannot afford four years of 50k plus undergraduate schools.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
09-10-19 01:22 PM - Post#287555    
    In response to HuskyColonial

• HuskyColonial Said:
I teach at Florida State College at Jacksonville. I have students who are applying to prestigious schools after saving moneyfor two years at the community college level. Same demographics as well. Middle to upper middle class families (mostly white) who want ultimately want a powerful degree but cannot afford four years of 50k plus undergraduate schools.

Rowan University (NJ state school) is offering what they call a 3+1 degree. You spend 3 years at your local county college and 1 year at their main campus. They guarantee that all credits will transfer as long as you get all classes pre-approved by them. A friend told me that the entire 4 year program is supposed to be less than $50k. In NJ, that is a deal.
New season, new team, new dream . . .

Maryland Bison 
Freshman

Reg: 04-20-18
"The Great Enrollment Crash"
09-11-19 08:40 AM - Post#287572    
    In response to Bison89

I went to Bucknell in the mid-80's, and I'm pretty sure that in 2019, students have to pay more for room and board than I did for tuition.

Edited by Maryland Bison on 09-11-19 08:42 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.744 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:15 AM