Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Lion Starting Line-up        (Topic#23353)
Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
10-08-19 11:57 PM - Post#288401    

So what is our probable starting line-up without Gabe?

Here are some of the possibilities:

Smith, Tape, Nweke, Bibb, Ellis.

Smith, Tape, Nweke, Smoyer, Bibbs or Ellis

Smith, Tape, Nweke, Turner, Bibbs or Ellis

Smith, Tape, Nweke, Forrest, Turner, Bibbs or Ellis

Smith, Tape, Nweke, Killingsworth, Bibbs or Ellis

The line-up with the "biggest potential," is Smith, Tape, Nweke, Smoyer and Bibbs.

Question #2: Does Smoyer have one or two years eligibility left? He's listed on our roster as a junior

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
10-10-19 01:31 PM - Post#288460    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

I expect Brumant either to start or to be part of the front court rotation. I think the first unit is as indicated above. The second unit is Brumant, Killingsworth, Turner as part of an 8 man rotation. I do not know enough about the other first years or Smoyer, who only has one year, to comment.

Billy Hoyle 
Freshman

Loc: Roar-ee's Lair
Reg: 12-17-14
Re: Lion Starting Line-up
10-10-19 03:15 PM - Post#288466    

• Columbia 37P6 Said:
So what is our probable starting line-up without Gabe?

Here are some of the possibilities:

Smith, Tape, Nweke, Bibb, Ellis.

Smith, Tape, Nweke, Smoyer, Bibbs or Ellis

Smith, Tape, Nweke, Turner, Bibbs or Ellis

Smith, Tape, Nweke, Forrest, Turner, Bibbs or Ellis

Smith, Tape, Nweke, Killingsworth, Bibbs or Ellis

The line-up with the "biggest potential," is Smith, Tape, Nweke, Smoyer and Bibbs.

Question #2: Does Smoyer have one or two years eligibility left? He's listed on our roster as a junior

Good question. He is a junior in terms of eligibility but in his fourth year of college (and the Ivy says you only generally get four years of enrollment) but credit transfer could have him academically as a junior. Brian Grimes played a fifth year at CU after transferring from Lasalle respectively so Smoyer may be able to get two years
I can hear Jimi!

Edited by Billy Hoyle on 10-10-19 03:17 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Lion Starting Line-up
10-10-19 10:47 PM - Post#288478    

There is no way they play Nweke, Smoyer, and Tape together. That lineup wouldn’t provide the spacing you need in the modern game (and certainly doesn’t fit how Engles plays). I think it would be most limited on offense, but there would be issues defensively as well. If you have to defend Lewis, Towns, and Bassey with those 3, who guards Towns and Bassey? Who would guard Betley? Engles didn’t even like to play Tape and Nweke together last year. He may get his head around having two bigs out there this year, but it won’t be three.

Sagatius 
Freshman

Reg: 11-17-15
10-11-19 07:39 AM - Post#288481    
    In response to SomeGuy

Engles is all about speed and mobility. So, I don’t see any of the tall lineups being out there at the same time. Let’s see who improved over the off-season and what some of the new players can do.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
10-11-19 10:34 AM - Post#288488    
    In response to Sagatius

Has anybody on this board seen Smoyer play? Has anybody seen any videos of him? In the absence of that sort of information I don’t see how anybody can predict if he will have a role for us. I see a rotation in the front court of Tape, Brumant and Nweke with no more than two of them on the court at any one time.

Billy Hoyle 
Freshman

10-11-19 04:01 PM - Post#288504    
    In response to Chet Forte

• Chet Forte Said:
Has anybody on this board seen Smoyer play? Has anybody seen any videos of him? In the absence of that sort of information I don’t see how anybody can predict if he will have a role for us. I see a rotation in the front court of Tape, Brumant and Nweke with no more than two of them on the court at any one time.

hard to say after his year off and time practicing in in Engles' system. But, from his past play, he's soft, floats outside on the perimeter, not really a true post-up guy, but does have a nice shooting touch.
I can hear Jimi!

cc66 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-09-09
10-11-19 05:40 PM - Post#288509    
    In response to Billy Hoyle

Tape is better defensively, but Smoyer could open up the middle because he can hit from outside.

Billy Hoyle 
Freshman

Lion Starting Line-up
10-11-19 05:54 PM - Post#288512    
    In response to cc66

here are some well-edited clips posted by Smoyer himself. Some ugly scores for his team on there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhR2qA1ds5I
I can hear Jimi!

Edited by Billy Hoyle on 10-11-19 05:54 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

10-11-19 09:32 PM - Post#288518    
    In response to Billy Hoyle

Interesting highlights film, thanks for posting. On film, he looks like a solid all-around player, but the stats he posted at Portland suggest otherwise.It seems like he had relatively little playing time. Maybe, it was just a matter that he wasn't as good as the guys playing ahead of him. Or maybe it was something else. We will have to wait and see.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

10-11-19 09:54 PM - Post#288520    

I do agree with Chet that Brumant will be part of the 8-man rotation, but how much playing time he gets this year will depend upon whether he's upped his game significantly. Last year, Brumant struck me as a very athletic forward with the potential to become an outstanding player in the Ivy League and beyond. However, at the same time, he seemed to be a step or two away from being a star. Hopefully, he used the off-season to develop his overall game.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.187 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:35 AM