Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: 2020 standings        (Topic#23363)
UPIA1968 
PhD Student
UPIA1968
Loc: Cornwall, PA
Reg: 11-20-06
10-11-19 10:28 PM - Post#288521    

In hope of stimulating Mike James to give us his well-documented forecast for the coming season – and to spice up the board – I offer this barely scientific review of the teams’ chances.

Overview – Unlike the last several years this year looks for like the bad old days, a few very good teams and the rest floating above the 200’s. Dartmouth, Cornell and Columbia all ended up in that lost region last year. None has scored a significant incomer and Dartmouth and Columbia lost important players. Looks like more of the same. Those three could easily be joined by Brown who lost their best player Desmond Cambridge to transfer and brings in nobody above a 2-star rating. The surprise could be Princeton regressing on the strength of losing two important players after finishing at 175. They apparently have no major recruits coming in. Of course any of these teams could unearth a diamond among their 2 star recruits. But that is the usual crap shoot. Hell add such a find from Penn’s incoming 2-star and we will have a VERY enjoyable year.

That leaves three teams fighting it out for the championship, or is it two teams fighting it out to become the first at large Ivy invite to the Dance behind Harvard? I say that because Harvard returns everybody plus regains Seth Townes, the best player in the league two years ago. To that they add a 3 and a 4-star recruit, although how either will break into the lineup is a mystery. This looks to the the best collection of talent in the Ivies since the Penn dynasties of the 1970’s. A top 25 ranking is a distinct possibility.

Next, I rank our heros who return a first and second team all ivy player plus regain a second-team player in Ryan B. There is also hope for significant sophomore progress for Wang and Washington. They lost no offensive talent although I am concerned about front court defensive depth with the loss of Max, and backcourt defense with Antonio’s departure. They add a 3-star recruit and several 2-star sleepers in Dingle and Martz. If Ryan is healthy, this looks like a sub 100 year, normally a championship year were it not for the blue snow in Cambridge.

Finally there is Yale, the best team last year, but losing the player of the year and another first team All-Ivy in Copeland. They do have a 3-star coming in, but will need to find extraordinary upgrades in performance from the returning players to compete with Penn. They look more like a high 100’s team who might upset either Penn or Harvard at home but not seriously challenge for the title.

Okay, my tournament four are Harvard, Penn, Yale and Brown in that order. If things go right with one or two of Penn’s question marks I could see a 70’s ranking, perhaps earning the team an at large bid. Or maybe the ghost of Jackson Donahue will upset Harvard at the Ivy Tournament buzzer, making a top 30 Harvard the shoe in as the first Ivy at large. When a team starts with a Brodeur at center much is possible. More about that later.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
10-12-19 05:26 AM - Post#288522    
    In response to UPIA1968

Nice analysis. I enjoyed reading it. I think we lose a Max but gain 2 in the front court and with Jarrod we should more than cover our losses. I look for Max LL to be a force inside as a freshman. I also like the others in the freshman class. Jonah Charles can shoot it and Dingle will be a capable PG. If Wang can progress from his early last season form (he has to get back to that point first) and Bryce progresses we should be formidable.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
10-12-19 08:10 AM - Post#288523    
    In response to PennFan10

Agreed. We look like the clear choice for 2nd and with the talent we can put on the court (and having the best big man), we can upset Harvard on any given day. But it certainly would be an upset. Barring injury, this could be a peak team and a possible 50-75 ranking. Forget at-large, though. It just ain't happening. We will have to win up at Harvard in March.

Wouldn't that be sweet?

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
10-12-19 09:53 AM - Post#288525    
    In response to palestra38

This is a top-cycle year for Penn. Looking ahead, based on the pipeline, mediocrity looms. Wang is the x-factor. If healthy, with some more experience, he can be a force as we saw briefly last year. This Penn team has the talent, experience, and the fit between all the pieces, to take it to Harvard on any given night.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.442 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:02 AM