Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Good Grief!        (Topic#234)
Rob 
maximus

Reg: 11-21-04
12-12-04 11:16 AM - Post#1153    

I can't believe the anti-athlete remarks by your admissions guy in the article about Faucher.

Is your president also in favor of dropping football?

The Lion King 
Senior

Re: Good Grief!
12-14-04 04:14 PM - Post#1154    
    In response to Rob

Yes, it does seem strange that he would go to a place like Dartmouth (or any I-AA school) if he thinks that way. You also have to wonder how he feels about Dartmouth's fraternities--I know some colleges have tried to eliminate those recently. If it's any consolation, Columbia's president, Lee Bollinger, is gung-ho about athletics as an important part of college life, and Columbia isn't doing any better than Dartmouth in football.

Anonymous 

12-14-04 07:23 PM - Post#1155    
    In response to Rob

Good grief! is right. I bet every candidate to replace Lyons see a copy. It will be very helpful in recruuiting, as well.

Green Ghost 
goober

Loc: New York, NY
Reg: 11-22-04
12-14-04 09:12 PM - Post#1156    
    In response to

And exactly how long do you think Furstenberg is going to stay at Dartmouth with this out there? Not only are they trying to hire a new coach, they're trying to start a brand new fundraising campaign. If this were just a question of football, Furstenberg might survive this. However, there's also a good bit of money involved, and as the saying goes...

"Money talks and bull$#!t walks."

I, personally, expect Crazy Karl to take his bull$#!t and go walking before the end of the academic year.

-The Ghost
The preceding opinion is my own, and is not necessarily representative of the opinion of anyone else, but it could be, it should be, and it probably is.

Rob 
maximus

Good Grief again!
12-20-04 02:37 AM - Post#1157    
    In response to Green Ghost

The Dartmouth president now says he became aware of the letter at the time(2000), and essentially swept it under the rug.

No wonder so many alums are furious.

Green Ghost 
goober

Loc: New York, NY
Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Good Grief again!
12-20-04 05:46 PM - Post#1158    
    In response to Rob

Although, Dartmouth has brought in some damn good players as of late, as well as some highly touted recruits. There have even been transfers from Wisconsin and Oklahoma State in recent years (as in, AFTER the letter was written). So, maybe what happened was that Jim Wright knew, made sure it wasn't affecting what he understood to be the athletics-admissions policy, and told Swarthmore that Furstenberg wasn't representing Dartmouth when he wrote that.

Wright is pretty pro-athletics, as school presidents go. I'm not sure that he would have knowingly allowed Furstenberg to hurt the athletic department or the football program. I don't know what his coaching was like during the good years, but Dartmouth's playcalling during some of these losing seasons has been pretty dreadful. When a team loses as many close games as Dartmouth has lost lately, at some point, the coach has to be held responsible.

I think the letter does a lot more harm now that it's out than it did before we knew about it. And THAT's the part that's going to be the end of Furstenberg at Dartmouth, I think.

-The Ghost
The preceding opinion is my own, and is not necessarily representative of the opinion of anyone else, but it could be, it should be, and it probably is.

Rob 
maximus

This from a link on the Ivy League messageboard
12-21-04 10:10 AM - Post#1159    
    In response to Green Ghost

" Written by Lou Kartsonis MD '73 -- On the Executive Committee- Friends of Dartmouth football

Dartmouth College vs. Dartmouth Football

The sentiments expressed in Karl Furstenberg’s letter come as no surprise. Members of the coaching staff have complained about him for years. That Jim Wright knew of this letter as far back as 2001 and took no action beyond talking to Furstenberg says much about the hypocrisy of the current administration. Can you imagine the meltdown if an admissions dean had penned this screed about minority candidates or gays, instead of football players? He might still work in admissions, just not at diversity-obsessed Dartmouth. Furstenberg cannot remain Dean of Admissions if we expect to recruit quality players and coaches in the future."

I think, as an outsider who has seen Dartmouth play in recent years, including the 70-21 debacle at Harvard, you haven't been getting enough competitive players. And the quote above suggests the coaches do not agree with your assessment of the admissions situation, to say the least!

Finally, I'm not sure many think the publication of the letter is harmful, as you say. Embarrassing, yes.

ballfan01 
goober
ballfan01
Loc: New England
Re: This from a link on the Ivy League messageboard
12-21-04 05:35 PM - Post#1160    
    In response to Rob

Rest assured that the majority of alums think that the letter is harmful both in its private and public life. Thank you rob for your comments
I bleed green.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.394 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:23 PM