Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Username Post: Fairfield Game        (Topic#23421)
Paulie777 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-11-07
11-05-19 09:55 PM - Post#289859    
    In response to Paulie777

Use the clock

Paulie777 
PhD Student

11-05-19 09:58 PM - Post#289861    
    In response to Paulie777

opposite of last year. 15 pt deficit they climbed back to two.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
11-05-19 10:05 PM - Post#289863    
    In response to Paulie777

If you told me that Ellis would have 11 and Spear 10, I would have said get the Funk (7) outta here! Meeks (19) was da man!!!

The Bison tried to give it away but didn't.

GO BISON!!!
New season, new team, new dream . . .

Bison7882 
Junior
Bison7882
Reg: 11-24-13
11-05-19 10:17 PM - Post#289868    
    In response to Bison89

Wow, in the last 5 minutes we were 0-6 from the field and committed 3 turnovers. Thankfully, we hit some FTs. We have to finish better than that. On another note, I enjoyed Pat's color commentary.

bison63 
Postdoc

Reg: 01-23-06
11-05-19 10:18 PM - Post#289871    
    In response to Maryland Bison

Sestina and Kentucky on ESPN now.

bison63 
Postdoc

11-05-19 10:20 PM - Post#289873    
    In response to bison63

Sestina goes to KU, and where does he play his first game? MSG!!

nh2032 
Sophomore

Reg: 02-28-06
11-05-19 10:58 PM - Post#289914    
    In response to bison63

Good win to start the season without one of our best players. Bruce produced like a senior should down a man. Obviously impressed with Meeks and Spears off the bench. Liked Rice's poise and handle - excited to see more of his scoring game as he gets settled. Great to see Walter produce on some of the promise we saw at times last year.

Better games ahead for Paul and Ben for sure.

Old Bison 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-09-17
11-06-19 09:33 AM - Post#290022    
    In response to nh2032

Was very surprised we had so much trouble defending Jesus Cruz. Clearly he has some strength but certainly not overwhelming height. Now a junior from PR he has been a solid player for FU over the last two years, but hardly prolific. He took two or three 3-pointers and his form from range actually looked strange. Other than a short turnaround on the baseline it’s clear he’s a one-trick pony. Why we allowed him to come back to the right every time was a surprise to me. Although he has a capable left hand based on last year at Sojka we didn’t force him to take one FGA with his left. As I have been out of the game for so long I’m not at all sure what
we teach. We had Ben on him some in the first half and then JM on him down the stretch when they went 13-0 on us. Was this because we new we would eventually be switching? I did notice we switched to Bruce on the last couple of possessions and he did score an easy layup when Bruce backed off to avoid a foul. Switching everything left some bad matches at times as Funk was forced to defend him in the lane a lot in H1. Andrew did a good job in those instances by fronting him. Missed Avi here but very surprised we couldn’t take that away. 7 layups and 3 FG’s from <6’ from a guy that size surprised me. The kid from VT is twice the beast he is. All that said, nice to get a W in an opener on the road down a man. Newman looked like it was his first time on a hoop court. Looked absolutely discombobulated offensively. Absolutely gorgeous misdirection 3 by Funk on the 4 tick OoBP. Key bucket. Some really nice blocks by Bruce and KS. Nice to be home vs VT

Old Bison 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-09-17
11-06-19 09:34 AM - Post#290023    
    In response to Old Bison

Strained not strange on the form

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
Fairfield Game
11-06-19 09:36 AM - Post#290024    
    In response to Old Bison

Meeks can really fill it up can’t he? Has anyone ever made the All-PL team coming off the bench?

Edited by HuskyColonial on 11-06-19 09:37 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

jkrun80 
Postdoc

Reg: 05-07-12
Re: Fairfield Game
11-06-19 09:39 AM - Post#290025    
    In response to HuskyColonial

• HuskyColonial Said:
Meeks can really fill it up can’t he? Has anyone ever made the All-PL team coming off the bench?

You can't predict a season from one game, but I've said before he could be another Zach Thomas if he stays healthy. He is slick on offense and can hit 3's.

Paulie777 
PhD Student

Fairfield Game
11-06-19 11:04 AM - Post#290044    
    In response to jkrun80

Lets save ourselves a few years and start Rice, Malachi, Meeks, Moore, and Sotos. Then throw in Funk, Newman, and Robertson. This lineup could afford us a big half and possibly a Win at Vermont.

Edited by Paulie777 on 11-06-19 11:06 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
11-06-19 01:08 PM - Post#290064    
    In response to Paulie777

Here are a few of my thoughts. I was happy with the win but generally not happy with the overall level of play.

- A win is always good, and there were some good things - but there were a number of disappointments as well and great room for improvement. I think if the Bison play at this level Sunday vs Vermont, they will lose by double figures.
- To add some perspective, consider that the Bison shot 10-23 on threes while Fairfield hit 2-12. (Last year both teams hit the same pct on threes for the year, and Fairfield lost their two worst long-range shooters while Bucknell lost two above-average ones.) Fairfield's Landon Taliaferro, who hit 43% on threes as a frosh, was only 2-7, missing a number of shots he normally would hit. Had Fairfield hit their expected percentage of threes and Bucknell done the same, if nothing else changes, Fairfield wins by eight points. Of course, other things might have changed - but this shows how tenuous the win was.
- The biggest bright spot was obviously the emergence of Kahliel Spear out of nowhere. I had heard he might see some backup minutes at center, but I don't think anyone expected a game like that. He rebounded and defended with great tenacity, despite being undersized for the five position. Although his erratic shot will limit his offensive production, the other good things he displayed last night will hopefully continue - and that is critical if Newman continues to have serious foul trouble.
- Meeks was very good offensively, especially in the first half, but that was not unexpected to most Bison fans. His five turnovers were a problem however. And defensively he is not as good - but clearly has improved from last year. It helps that he is much lighter and able to fully participate in practice this year. He was able to play the three at times, partly because Fairfield often used three true forwards at a time. He will struggle defensively, however, when asked to play against quicker wings.
- Ellis had a poor first half at both ends, with three fouls, a turnover, and no offensive stats in about six minutes. However in the second half, he hit three important spot-up threes and added a couple of rebounds and an assist. Played almost 14 minutes. Also of course hit two crucial FT's with 12 seconds left - both nothing but net - in a one-and-one situation with the Bison leading by two. He seemed to lose confidence last year after a poor start shooting the ball. Hopefully this will be a springboard to a good season. His defense is an issue however.
- Moore was solid offensively, although he missed a few threes he often would make, but he got only one rebound. They need a lot more from him on the boards. As usual his defense was very good.
- Newman had a tough night. Was charged with four fouls in 11 minutes, although two looked like clean blocks. Missed four early shots inside and did not look poised. This was disappointing since he was operating against a 6-10 180 lb freshman. He did have two official blocks in his limited time, and might have had four with different refereeing. As I pointed out before, Newman last year averaged 7.6 fouls per 40 minutes. This wasn't a big deal for a 12 mpg backup but it is a really big deal for a starting center, especially since Fairfield didn't have a strong big man down low. The Bison really need him to find a way to stay on the court.
- Sotos and Funk were both OK, but the Bison need more from them offensively to be a good team. Sotos did have five assists (vs two turnovers) and five defensive rebounds. And Funk,of course, had the two big FT's to close out the game.
- Xander Rice was exactly what I expected. Handles the ball well, plays fairly good defense, but is very limited at the offensive end. Doesn't have a real jump shot. Should do fine playing 8-10 mpg in place of Sotos. in the first half, he played the point on occasion while Sotos played the two. Very unlikely we will see that combination once Avi returns - and with Ellis having had a solid game, we may not see it at all.
- Fairfield was a poor rebounding team last year and not expected to be good this year. Yet they got 80% of available defensive rebounds and 33.3% of available offensive rebounds. Those are both good numbers for Fairfield - and bad numbers for the Bison. That easily could have cost them the game.
- One last thought is that it was disappointing that they struggled to close out a game when they had a 15-point lead with 4:20 left to play. I don't fault the missed shots, since they were good looks that just didn't go down. But there were also three turnovers in a three minute span late in the game. That shouldn't happen if they want to win most of the close games.

bisonmania 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-26-07
11-06-19 01:49 PM - Post#290069    
    In response to Bison137

I thought clock management was very poor the last couple of minutes. I would have liked to see the ball moved around more and look inside for a layup. The ill advised 3 point shots must fall back on the coaching staff. I know this is nothing new as in past seasons there have been a number of bad shots late in games and early in the shot clock ! I will never understand why.... I was also surprised that no other freshman saw time. I have heard praise about there ability.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
11-06-19 05:37 PM - Post#290117    
    In response to bisonmania

As everyone else, I’m glad for the win (although this was one of the more certain wins for me when picking their OOC record) but not excited about the finish. Should’ve been an easy 10-pt win but instead was a nail-biter. Meeks was great offensively minus the TO’s, Spears hot more shots than his form would indicate he should but he did well overall...thought Sotos would perform better offensively. Newman was a disappointment as was not seeing at least one other freshman (I was expecting to see JVH.) Still a road win is a good win, just wasn’t a great overall performance. I hope some things improve on Sunday.

Scotty-14 
Sophomore

Reg: 10-10-18
11-07-19 04:52 PM - Post#290254    
    In response to Bison137

One objection I have is that Rice is not a good offensive player. His role on his last 2 high school teams was as a spot up shooter, so I expect to see that show more despite the unorthodox form. I also expect him to show some playmaking skills as the season progresses. All in all I believe he will be a more productive player this year than Kimbal his freshman year.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
11-07-19 05:48 PM - Post#290261    
    In response to Scotty-14

I've watched a couple practices and also a videos from last year, and I agree he is a spot-up shooter, But I think the percentage he will make is only marginal. And he has no true jump shot, which will limit his offensive output.

Kimbal had a harder path to playing time his freshman year - with the Bison having Hass, Ryan Frazier, Stephen Brown, and Azzinaro ahead of him. Still he managed to get on the court for 15 minutes a night, and he hit about 36% on threes. I will be surprised if Rice gets as many mpg (assuming good health for the rest of the team), and I will be pleasantly surprised if he can hit more than 36% on threes. Nonetheless, as I said in my comments, I think he can definitely be a contributor because he handles the ball well and plays pretty good defense for a freshman.

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.181 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:38 AM