Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Username Post: Tape???        (Topic#23423)
GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-19-16
11-02-19 02:54 PM - Post#289511    
    In response to SomeGuy

• SomeGuy Said:
Yes, but that is an injury. Betley falls in the bucket with the guys who were hurt. Everybody loses those guys now days in most cases. The guys who simply choose to sit out a year for no purpose other than to play a grad year are different. So far, that is a BCCD problem, and not an HYPP problem.

I didn't want to say it explicitly but the above is the point I was alluding to. There is a reason for the separation in the conference. It's what the top four do that the bottom four don't. It matters that you're playing the little sisters of the poor while Princeton is playing the Diamond Head classic in Hawaii. Or Yale playing Duke at Cameron.

"...no excuses - only results!”

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
11-02-19 05:25 PM - Post#289512    
    In response to Chet Forte

To be clear, I view losing a team’s own players as a BCCD problem thus far. I fully agree that BCCD losing players this way is bad for the league as a whole. As we talk about a 2 bid league, etc., the odds of that (low to begin with) depend in part on all of the boats in the league continuing to rise. So I think HYPP get hurt by this, even if it is BCCD players who are leaving.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
11-04-19 12:10 AM - Post#289592    
    In response to SomeGuy

In November, Columbia is scheduled to play the University o Virginia which happens to have won the National Championship last year. The Lions are also playing Wake Forest and St.Johns, two other highly rated teams. So the"little sisters of the poor" explanation doesn't work.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-19-16
11-04-19 05:12 AM - Post#289595    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

From a player somewhere:

He averaged 11.4, 14.6 and 17.5 points in his first three seasons, starting 81 of a possible 83 games. He was second team all-conference as a sophomore, first team as a junior. He got plenty of minutes and shots and responsibility.

He just couldn’t take the losing. His record at Long Beach Poly: 109-20.

The Broncos were 39-56 in his first three seasons and never finished higher than fifth place in the West Coast Conference. When injuries ended his senior season after two games, he redshirted and decided to transfer somewhere with a winning culture, even at the expense of his stat line.

“I loved Santa Clara,” Feagin says. “I gave my all to that place. It got to the point where it wasn’t the spot for me. I wasn’t happy. I wasn’t enjoying basketball anymore. And I just needed to get away and find myself again. I needed to get somewhere I could return to who I was. I needed a fresh start.

“You realize that getting 20 (points) and eight (assists) in a loss, it just fades after a while, you know? You only remember it if you win.”
"...no excuses - only results!”

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.291 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:17 AM