Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 3 of 4 « First<1234
Username Post: Seth Towns        (Topic#23448)
internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 11-21-04
03-21-20 04:00 PM - Post#304959    
    In response to mrjames

May announce his new school decision tonight on an ESPN show some time after 8, presumably ET.
west coast fan

internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
Seth Towns
03-21-20 04:42 PM - Post#304963    
    In response to internetter

Correction: 11 PM ET, likely.Sports Center.
west coast fan

Edited by internetter on 03-21-20 04:43 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
10-05-20 10:09 AM - Post#314550    
    In response to internetter

Looks like Seth Towns is still recovering and won't be ready for the start of Ohio State's season.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-basketba...

- Towns, a redshirt junior graduate transfer from Harvard, has been recovering from a knee injury sustained in the 2018 Ivy League championship game. He most recently had follow-up surgery in January. Though Holtmann said Towns has made "good progress," he doesn't believe he will be ready to play games when the Buckeyes start the season in late November.

"I think right now, while he's made progress, I think in terms of being ready to play actual games in late November, I certainly think that is in question, whether he'll be ready for that," Holtmann said. "At this point, I'm not sure he will be ready, and I think he probably feels the same way. He's going to need more time than that. But we'll know more, obviously, in the coming weeks."

Towns had previously said there was "no question" that his knee would be healthy by the start of Ohio State's 2020-21 hoops season. -

T.P.F.K.A.D.W. 
PhD Student

Loc: Our Nation's Capital
Reg: 01-18-05
10-05-20 12:37 PM - Post#314565    
    In response to rbg

Oh man. That was two and a half YEARS ago, and his knee still isn't right? Ugh.

Knee injuries stink.

palestra38 
Professor

10-06-20 07:32 AM - Post#314579    
    In response to T.P.F.K.A.D.W.

It happened right in front of me on the baseline, and it was obvious that the knee just gave way backward. No information on the injury was ever shared, so it's not been possible to determine whether it required surgery(ies) or the severity of the injury. Obviously, it was a very severe injury requiring multiple surgeries (suggesting it may have been a kneecap dislocation). Really too bad because he was the best player in the League.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
10-06-20 04:05 PM - Post#314625    
    In response to palestra38

Once Seth settled on having another surgery in January there was an extensive article describing what had been occurring. I can't locate that article at the moment and think it might have been written by Jon Rothstein. Rather than trying to recreate it, the following can be found on an Ohio State site:

"Initially, he didn’t have an operation to heal his knee. But two months later once what was thought to be a bone bruise was revealed to be a cartilage injury, he had surgery. It didn’t heal as expected, though, so Towns had another surgery earlier this year for what he says is a cartilage defect."

My understanding/recollectio n was that the situation was actually more complicated, including possible misdiagnosis. Regardless, on a few occasions the coaches and Seth were led by the doctors to believe that he had completed successful surgery, only to discover that the knee pain was still persisting. That is why everyone expected Seth's return - including Seth.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

10-06-20 04:19 PM - Post#314626    
    In response to mrjames

Don't think this was the article, but:

Harvard’s Seth Towns to miss entire 2019-20 season
December 23, 2019 by Rob Browne

One of the Ivy League’s biggest mysteries of the last two years has finally (mostly) been solved. Harvard has announced that Seth Towns, the 2018 Ivy League Player of the Year, will undergo surgery on his left knee and miss the entire 2019-20 campaign.

Towns finished the 2017-18 regular season with 15.8 points per game, including 18.6 per Ivy contest. The versatile 6′ 7″ forward hit 49.3% of his three-point attempts, while averaging 5.4 rebounds and 1.8 assists per night. In addition to earning the league’s top award, Towns was named a Lou Henson All-America and an AP Honorable Mention All-American.

Against Cornell in the Ivy Tournament semifinal, Towns led the way in top-seeded Harvard’s 74-55 victory with a double-double of 24 points and 12 rebounds.

In Sunday’s final against No. 2 seed Penn, Towns had amassed 13 points and six rebounds with 8:20 left in the second half. He drove to the layup, hoping to cut into the Quakers’ 53-45 lead, but he hit the ground hard and was in visible pain as he was helped off the court minutes later.

Harvard would rally around its former leader, taking the lead on a 13-2 run, but ultimately lose the title and the league’s automatic NCAA bid, 68-65.

The Crimson never disclosed the extent of Towns’s injury and treatment, but hopes were high that he would return for the 2018-19 season. In July 2018, Harvard Athletics told IHO that Towns was expected to be ready for the start of the season.

Unfortunately, Towns was not dressed for the team’s preseason Crimson Madness event and would eventually miss the rest of the season. While there was speculation from Ivy fans throughout the campaign, it wasn’t until the eve of the league’s regular season weekend that Towns officially declared his season done.

As the 2019-20 season approached, hopes were again high that Towns would return to the court and a three-point championship in this year’s edition of Crimson Madness made his return seem likely.

However, Towns’s return was not to be.

Jeff Goodman reported on Nov. 4 that Amaker had told him that Towns would not play in the opener and his status for the season was up in the air. After Towns missed the team’s first 10 games, Goodman on Dec. 18 tweeted more ominous news that Towns still hadn’t practiced with the team.

During Saturday’s game at George Washington, an ESPN+ announcer reported that Towns had been out due to microfracture surgery, but Towns is not getting microfracture surgery, per a source with knowledge of the injury.

On Monday, Harvard confirmed that Towns would be undergoing season-ending surgery.

“While I am disappointed and saddened for Seth and our program that he won’t be competing for us this year, I am grateful and fortunate to have been able to coach and teach him during his time here,” Amaker told Harvard Athletics. “Seth will always be the standard for Harvard basketball players: a scholar and a baller.”

With Towns set to graduate this May, the Columbus, Ohio, native’s Ivy career is complete, even though he still retains two years of eligibility.

Everyone here at IHO eagerly looks forward to Towns recovering and returning to be the brilliant player he was in his first two seasons at Harvard.

This post has been updated to note that Towns is not getting microfracture surgery and that he will have surgery on his left knee.

rbg 
Postdoc

11-25-20 09:05 PM - Post#317317    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

11/12/20

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-basketba...

- Chris Holtmann, Ohio State’s fourth-year head coach, didn’t sound overly optimistic when discussing Seth Towns and Musa Jallow’s availability for the start of the 2020-21 season a month ago, and he took a similar stance this week.

“Overall, our health remains relatively the same place it was,” he said on Wednesday afternoon. “I don't have a specific timeline on Seth and Musa. At this point, I could speculate that Musa would be closer to returning than Seth. I would say (Seth is) at least a month away from getting into live action, in terms of practice stuff.

So far, per Holtmann, injuries to Towns and Jallow have kept them out of “live action” while they do “some limited contact drill work.”

Towns, a graduate transfer from Harvard with two years of eligibility remaining, had his latest surgery at the beginning of this year to deal with a knee injury initially suffered in the 2018 Ivy League championship game. Since then, multiple surgeries have forced him to miss the entirety of two college basketball seasons, and he won’t be back for the beginning of the upcoming season. Ohio State plans to be cautious with him due to his extended rehabilitation process. -

11/25/20

https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/bas ketball/oh...

- "Seth Towns was involved in a minor car accident on the way to the Ohio State game against Illinois State today. All parties involved are safe. He arrived late to the game and is on the bench. We will have no further comment." -

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

11-25-20 11:21 PM - Post#317321    
    In response to rbg

So disappointed for Seth

rbg 
Postdoc

12-03-20 09:51 AM - Post#317555    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

https://www.buckeyextra.com/story/mens-basketball /...

- It took two words to work up one rabid fanbase.

Monday morning, Ohio State graduate transfer Seth Towns posted a pair of photos to his personal Twitter page with a caption simply reading “very soon”. It was enough to send the rumor mill into overdrive concerning the status of the Harvard graduate and Columbus Northland product who has missed the last two seasons with knee issues and is working toward playing for this season’s Ohio State team.

Since undergoing surgery last January, Towns has been progressing with an eye on playing during this calendar year. Tuesday afternoon, one day before the No. 23 Buckeyes were set to host Morehead State at the Covelli Center, coach Chris Holtmann didn’t offer a definitive timeline for when Towns will be in uniform because he said the fifth-year player hasn’t done enough live action work in practice to provide one. -

- He came to the Buckeyes with two years of eligibility, and actually could have three after the NCAA awarded an extra year to all winter sport athletes playing their seasons in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. Since joining the program, Towns has made steady progress but has only recently started taking part in some full-action practice work. The team's official game notes state that Towns is "not expected to return to action until 2021."

“He’ll have to work his way into shape and sharpening his skills and his ability to move and defend,” Holtmann said. “Offensively, even though he’ll have to shake some rust off there, he’s a really gifted offensive player. Defensively is where he’s going to have to really continue to grow and get more confident in his ability to move and his knee and his conditioning.” -

- “I do think everybody has to understand he’s not the same player or athlete right now he was his sophomore year at Harvard,” Holtmann said. “That’s too much to expect given a young man that’s come off of two years. He’s really worked hard to get back to this point. I think he feels a great amount of satisfaction in getting back in the conversation of playing again, but to expect that kind of production right now is unrealistic.”

Towns will get back to the form he showed as a sophomore eventually, Holtmann said. He’s just not sure when.

“We haven’t honestly seen him enough in live action to where I could even begin to speculate on when that will happen,” the coach said. “It’s hard to give a timeline on when he could get back to that because we haven’t been able to see enough. Is it the end of this year? Next year? I don’t know, but no question in my mind he can get back to that.” -

rbg 
Postdoc

12-07-20 06:20 PM - Post#317670    
    In response to rbg

From this afternoon

https://www.buckeyextra.com/story/mens-basketball /...

- *The latest on forward Seth Towns is that he is a “game-to-game, week-to-week” decision, according to Holtmann.

“It’s really going to depend on our conversations with him as to how his knee is feeling and where he’s at physically,” he said. “I couldn’t give a definitive one way or another. He’s going through what regular practice feels like for his body and his knee. He’s had some good days, some really good days, and he’s had some days where it’s been difficult for him. That’s part of the recovery process, the whole get back to health process.

“I’ve been really proud of his ability to move forward with this thing. I think he sees the light at the end of the tunnel in terms of getting back on the floor. It doesn’t mean it’s going to be the Seth of his sophomore year. He’s not there yet. That will definitely take a while.”

Holtmann said Towns is only about a week and a half into actual live practices. -

rbg 
Postdoc

12-09-20 09:47 AM - Post#317781    
    In response to rbg

Ohio State basketball player Seth Towns takes knee to protest friend's killing in police shooting

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketba ll/story...

- To protest his childhood friend's killing by police in Columbus this week, Ohio State forward Seth Towns kneeled before his basketball team's 90-85 victory over Notre Dame on Tuesday night in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.

According to reporting by CNN, federal officials are now investigating the death of 23-year-old Casey Goodson -- Towns' friend -- who was shot and killed Friday by Jason Meade, a local sheriff's deputy, as Goodson entered his home. Meade reportedly said he saw a man with a gun prior to the shooting.

Goodson's family's attorney told CNN that Goodson had a concealed carry permit and was legally armed at the time of the shooting, but that Goodson had only a Subway sandwich in his hands when he was killed.

On the day Goodson was killed, Towns tweeted that he had grown up with Goodson in Columbus. Towns tweeted "Justice for Casey Goodson" with a picture of him kneeling before Tuesday's game. -

rbg 
Postdoc

12-09-20 10:24 PM - Post#317823    
    In response to rbg

Here's an update on the shooting of Seth Towns' friend Casey Goodson.

Casey Goodson Update: Death At Deputy's Hand Is Ruled A Homicide

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/09/944624158/ casey-goo...

- The preliminary findings come five days after Goodson, 23, was shot under disputed circumstances. Law enforcement officials have said Goodson was waving a gun when a deputy shot him, but the man's family said he was carrying a sandwich bag and had just unlocked the door to his home.

"Based on findings from the autopsy and medical death investigation, manner of death is homicide," Ortiz's office said in a press release Wednesday morning.

The cause of death remains preliminary as the coroner's office has not yet received medical records or a toxicology report in the case. But the office added, "However, based on the current findings, cause of death is multiple gunshot wounds to the torso."

Goodson's relatives said he was shot three times in the back; the coroner's statement does not describe the bullets' entry point or provide any other details about the man's wounds. -

- "Goodson's family has raised multiple objections to the initial account of his death, saying that Goodson was shot while coming back from the dentist," NPR member station WOSU's Paige Pfleger reported. "Family members say he had just unlocked the side door to the house and was carrying Subway sandwiches for his family."

The Franklin County Sheriff's Office said one of its deputies — Jason Meade, a 17-year veteran of the force – is the law enforcement officer who fired his gun at Goodson. At the time of the shooting, Meade was assigned full time to a U.S. Marshals Service fugitive task force. His team had just finished a search for "violent suspects" when Meade shot Goodson, police investigators said.

"Goodson was not the object of the search, according to police, nor was he wanted by law enforcement," as NPR's Brakkton Booker has reported.

The Columbus Division of Police has said that Meade "reported witnessing a man with a gun. The deputy was investigating the situation, and there are reports of a verbal exchange. The deputy fired at Mr. Casey Goodson, resulting in his death."

The police said a gun was recovered from Goodson; his family issued a statement through an attorney saying in part, "Casey was licensed to carry a concealed weapon and Ohio does not prohibit the open carrying of firearms."

There are no body camera recordings of the shooting; police said that deputies with the Franklin County Sheriff's Office aren't issued body-worn cameras. The force also said that no other law enforcement officers witnessed the shooting. The family's attorney said it was witnessed by Goodson's grandmother and two toddlers. -

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
12-09-20 11:42 PM - Post#317826    
    In response to rbg

Just awful. Precisely what Towns had been so passionate about in taking a principled stand, well before this latest tragedy.

palestra38 
Professor

12-10-20 09:11 AM - Post#317834    
    In response to penn nation

It's an absolute horror show, and it has been wildly exacerbated by Trump's Willie Horton strategy of pitting the police against people of color. We are in very dangerous times, especially if you are not white.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
12-10-20 02:12 PM - Post#317862    
    In response to palestra38

This story is bizarre. No explanation of why Goodson was killed in his own home.

And seems to happen to blacks over and over.

palestra38 
Professor

Seth Towns
12-10-20 02:27 PM - Post#317865    
    In response to TheLine

Yes, and not surprisingly, it became a huge issue only after smart phones and body cameras came to use and showed everyone what always had been denied.

penn nation 
Professor

12-10-20 03:07 PM - Post#317868    
    In response to TheLine

• TheLine Said:
This story is bizarre. No explanation of why Goodson was killed in his own home.

And seems to happen to blacks over and over.

The explanation is clear. They were looking for a black suspect. And they found someone who was black.

I mean, what more do you need to go whole hog after someone? That's the pattern.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
12-12-20 10:24 AM - Post#317965    
    In response to penn nation

https://radio.wosu.org/post/ohio-bureau-crim inal-i...

This is reprehensible. Horribly negligent at best, but would not be surprising if it was a purposeful coverup.

Wonder if anyone will ever be held accountable.

penn nation 
Professor

12-12-20 06:52 PM - Post#317981    
    In response to TheLine

• TheLine Said:
https://radio.wosu.org/post/ohio-bureau-crim inal-i...

This is reprehensible. Horribly negligent at best, but would not be surprising if it was a purposeful coverup.

Wonder if anyone will ever be held accountable.

I would be willing to bet that the DOJ under Biden will get involved if Ohio does not, or does and refuses to hold anyone accountable.

Page 3 of 4 « First<1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.336 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:17 AM