Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Vermont Game        (Topic#23475)
bisonmania 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-26-07
11-10-19 09:25 PM - Post#290548    
    In response to jkrun80

A couple thoughts. I thought this game looked like the second game of the season. The timing was off as was the flow. The team chemistry is not real sharp at this point. Again for the second straight game bad shots during the guts of the game. AKA 3 point shot in corner at 18.3 seconds left in the game down one point. I thought a play would be set up with only a couple seconds left. Also Bruce should have been on the bench on the offense defense switch imo we needed him on the floor at the end of the game. So I feel that was on coach. The rest of the game looked like 2 teams playing in there second game of the season. The team will improve in time.

bison63 
Postdoc

Reg: 01-23-06
11-11-19 01:33 AM - Post#290557    
    In response to jkrun80

Saw a lot of good things to go with the bad in this game. Most notably we stuck with a strong opponent and gave as good as we got for 40 minutes. What was missing was the presence of an on court figure who wanted the ball for the last shot, and had no intention of missing that shot. Ala Kimbal. That will come as this team develops.

Paulie777 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-11-07
Vermont Game
11-11-19 06:51 AM - Post#290558    
    In response to bison63

This might just be my impression, but I thought coach had poor body language at about 5 minutes left if one can have it sitting in a chair. He seemed to be slightly dejected with his arms crossed thinking of what they were doing wrong and how they can improve rather than coaching in the moment. The word "coach" to me is a here and now action verb, not something to be internalized and expressed later. I guess thats his style. But I thought the team played well with lots of W's in the future and a bid for the league title.

Edited by Paulie777 on 11-11-19 06:52 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

DoCtoR62 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-18-08
Vermont Game
11-11-19 09:30 AM - Post#290568    
    In response to bison63

• bison63 Said:
Saw a lot of good things to go with the bad in this game. Most notably we stuck with a strong opponent and gave as good as we got for 40 minutes. What was missing was the presence of an on court figure who wanted the ball for the last shot, and had no intention of missing that shot. Ala Kimbal. That will come as this team develops.

Agree 100%. Sotos, IMO, is that presence. He had an off game. But, if anyone would be expected to get out of the blocks a little more slowly, it would be him with his off-season surgery. Avi will certainly help with the flow as well while the younger players grow more comfortable. You play November and December to get to January ... I feel good about January and February.

Edited by DoCtoR62 on 11-11-19 09:31 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Old Bison 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-09-17
11-11-19 09:56 AM - Post#290571    
    In response to Paulie777

When the other team shoots 32% from the field and 16% from 3 and MISSES 11 FTA and their best scorer is on the bench for half the game AND you’re at home, it’s quite difficult to imagine you come away with a loss. Ryan Davis killed us in the interior along with Lamb. Absolutely no penetration (other than one tough runner by Funk). At least Meeks and Funk got to the basket a couple of times against FU. This is where no consideration of tactical zone kills me. Was watching UoM vs Rhode Island the other night and Terps we’re down double digits in the 1st half. If you knew nothing about basketball you would have assumed RI was better based on the game flow. Turgeon switched from MTM to a 1-3-1 zone and RI just looked lost all of a sudden. We lost the game offensively but it doesn’t help if you have to take out your best (and I’m surmising here) scorer for matchup reasons instead of hiding him in a zone. Sotos has to make better decisions on shot selection and on when to press the attack and when to run
your sets. Don’t understand dropping the ball back to the 5 man on the break offense when the 5 man is KS (totally different than dropping it back to Zach or Sestina). Walked at FU and walked horrendously yesterday (wasn’t called) before launching a crazy 3. Ellis in for a lot of the second half standing at the 3 line. I understand spreading the court but we need to create and drive aggressively and go inside-out if we don’t have the advantage. Not sure if running it through the post is a winning strategy if the post is Newman. Amazing that it’s the second game of the year and Becker was doubling Meeks in the post if there was a secondary defender close by. Very winnable game. Looking forward to Hofstra...don’t know their personnel and have no idea there style but I wouldn’t be shocked if they spread wide and isolate us MTM based on H1 yesterday

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
Re: Vermont Game
11-11-19 11:28 AM - Post#290582    
    In response to MrPhillie

• MrPhillie Said:
Seemed like terrible coaching the last 29 seconds. Shooting 14% from three this game so that is the play you draw up? With 18 seconds to go down by 1? Then when you have to foul, why have Bruce on the floor?

Phillie, I completely agree. The subsitutions were questionable and the play calling was not the best.

BTW, prior to a nice run at the end of the game, it was looking like VT might win by 10 or more. So, being in the game at the end showed some heart. IMO, it bodes well for the rest of the season. This team should pull out some wins at the end of games with their never-quit-attitude.

GO BISON!
New season, new team, new dream . . .

Old Bison 
Masters Student

11-11-19 12:40 PM - Post#290585    
    In response to Bison89

we executed the last play well. Meeks got a good look...shot never had a chance unfortunately even if there was no infraction. Can argue about getting a higher % look and who was the go to guy but we hit the 3 and Coach is a genius. Is there replay of that last possession. It moved quick and I can't say whether that was the prior option or if that was a spin-off. I would need to see a clip to see if something wasn't taken away first and even then I might not be able to tell. Meeks isn't our best 3 point shooter but he's probably our most confident shooter at this juncture.

Old Bison 
Masters Student

11-11-19 12:41 PM - Post#290586    
    In response to Old Bison

primary option not prior

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
11-11-19 08:40 PM - Post#290633    
    In response to Old Bison

Yeah the last play was executed, but I just do not understand setting up the last play for the lowest % shot your team took all game. I know Meeks has been our best offensive guy thus far but sprinting around the baseline and firing up a line-drive three when the game hangs in the balance would not be my shot of choice. I would’ve looked for something inside first and taken a three only as a fallback option.

Otherwise I did see a lot of good in this game, other than shooting %. I liked the hustle and overall confidence against a good opponent. The defense was pretty good. But the offense looked disjointed and not in a good flow most of the game but I understand it is early. I agree that when a team is without its best player almost half the game and the team shoots as poorly as Vermont did, we should win this game at home. I think the team will still have a solid season but there is work to be done.

Old Bison 
Masters Student

11-12-19 05:26 PM - Post#290710    
    In response to MrPhillie

We weren’t stopping Lamb and if we’re lucky enough to convert a 2 pt FGA you have to defend on the final possession without fouling. Puts a lot of pressure on you defensively. If you go up 2 (acknowledging the delta in conversion %) the pressure really switches to the offensive side. I’d still like to see a replay because as of now we’re only guessing that there wasn’t a primary option that was taken away. I was totally distracted as well as my Apple TV kept dropping the stream from my iPhone. I can only conjecture that may have been attributable to the local TV feed rather than the normal PLN feed, Also thought it was interesting Davis said they probably wouldn’t spend any time at the end as opposed to what transpired btw the time we went from +8 to -10.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
11-12-19 08:42 PM - Post#290737    
    In response to Old Bison

The only reason I believe it was a primary option is because they started the possession with 29 seconds and shot with 19 seconds.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
11-12-19 10:55 PM - Post#290745    
    In response to Bison89

• Bison89 Said:
I just got asked by an attendant to not be so loud. I am not loud.

That anecdote should be reported to someone at Bucknell.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
11-13-19 01:44 AM - Post#290751    
    In response to MrPhillie

• MrPhillie Said:
The only reason I believe it was a primary option is because they started the possession with 29 seconds and shot with 19 seconds.

Agree. More to the point, the timeout was at 26 seconds, and the ensuing inbound pass went into the backcourt - which killed more time. When Sotos crossed into front court ith the ball, there were 24 seconds left. It definitely looked like Meeks was the first option, as Moore set a designed screen for him. He caught the pass six seconds after Sotos crossed midcourt.

Btw, one interesting element is that if Meeks was OB, it was by about a millimeter (and that assume his heel wasn't off the ground). The ref who called it was fairly close to the play, but he was looking high, not at the feet, and was viewing the play from an angle which would have made it difficult to see if the heel actually was touching. His view of the play was clearly with his peripheral vision. The lead ref, who was positioned on the sideline further out and had a better view, did not call it. Instead he immediately gave the signal that it was a three-point attempt. He clearly did not see Meeks as being OB.

I don't have any problem with trying to get an open three from a good shooter at that point, because no matter what happens, Vermont is still going to have plenty of time to come down and score. If the Bison get a three - thus going up by two - then a Vermont basket only ties the game (assuming it's a two). If the Bison only get a two, then a Vermont basket wins it - and there is a good chance Lamb would have produced a basket (or two FT's).

Video of the game, for those with the stomach to watch it, is here:

https://watchstadium.com/live/vermont-at-buckn ell/

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
11-13-19 11:17 AM - Post#290787    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:
  • Bison89 Said:

BRW, I thought about doing so, but ultimately, I had a great time (even with a loss). So, complaining for the sake of complaining probably isn't warranted.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
Vermont Game
11-13-19 12:28 PM - Post#290796    
    In response to Bison89

• Bison89 Said:
  • BisonRoadWarrior Said:
  • Bison89 Said:

BRW, I thought about doing so, but ultimately, I had a great time (even with a loss). So, complaining for the sake of complaining probably isn't warranted.

It's not for the sake of complaining. It's to spare other fans from similar mistreatment and to avoid having game attendants act in a way that diminishes Bucknell's home court advantage.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
11-13-19 01:46 PM - Post#290802    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

BRW, good point. I'll think about it.

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
11-13-19 04:52 PM - Post#290844    
    In response to Bison89

Ah yes. The sporting nature of the Lewisburg Townie.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
11-13-19 07:16 PM - Post#290857    
    In response to HuskyColonial

I have greatly curtailed my loud (my wife might say over the top) cheering...I still cheer and I still get looks from some, it c’mon, it is a basketball game!! Nobody will ever accuse average Sojka fan as being too loud.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.158 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:37 PM