Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 4 of 4 « First<1234
Username Post: Lasalle        (Topic#23492)
Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
11-14-19 07:58 PM - Post#291041    
    In response to palestra38

• palestra38 Said:
IT'S NOT JENSEN--it's Angry Al, a poster and notorious loudmouth caller to WIP

Sorry. I read it too quickly.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
Lasalle
11-15-19 12:30 AM - Post#291062    
    In response to Quakers03

• Quakers03 Said:

It's so nice to see AJ with touch at the free throw line. When in the world would he have had a front rim free throw fall in softly in the past? It is a noticeable improvement.

No question that his form was better, and he maintained it through both shots in each trip. Last year, he would make the first shot, then lose his concentration for the second.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

Edited by dperry on 11-15-19 12:33 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

UPIA1968 
PhD Student
UPIA1968
Loc: Cornwall, PA
Reg: 11-20-06
Lasalle
11-15-19 12:41 AM - Post#291064    
    In response to Streamers

After three games we can clearly see the dynamic of this season. Penn has three splendid seniors who will keep them competitive in most games and will beat flawed teams like LaSalle. Five years ago we would be moaning about an 0-3 start. Not this year.

Expectations now revolve about the play of the supporting cast. In Dingle it looks like a big upside. In Wang and perhaps Jonah Charles it looks like a health issue. In Bryce, Eddie, and Simmons it looks like a matter of development, although with Simmons we have yet to see any hints of real capability. Finally in Lucas M, Max M, and Max LL, it looks like a test of their athletic potential on the bigger college stage.

It is fully reasonable to expect that enough of our hope for the supporting cast will come through to make Penn a contender, perhaps even good enough to challenge Harvard, as we saw in Tuscaloosa when Jordon went off.

I am as much interested to see how many of the supporting cast show stardom potential, because we will need that after this wonderful trio of seniors graduates.

This situation reminds me of several of the Allen years when it appeared that there was a deep collection of sufficient talent. In that case, however, the talent never emerged. Have we over estimated the roster again? I suggest that the record of the three seniors is sufficient to indicate that the talent is better and much more able to develop. I will be watching Dingle closely over the next month as he seems to have the ability to contribute as a freshman rapidly as AJ and Betley did. The others will take time.

All in all a good start!

P.S. The most dramatic story of the early season is on the women's side. The rookie, Kayla Padilla is averaging 24.5 per game including .500+ from three and has 6 assists to one turnover.

Edited by UPIA1968 on 11-15-19 12:46 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

Re: Lasalle
11-15-19 10:15 AM - Post#291084    
    In response to UPIA1968

I agree with you about the importance of developing that supporting cast. I watched the Harvard game last night. They played without 3 big names (Towns, Aiken and Kirkwood). While Towns contribution this year is uncertain, Aiken and Kirkwood are likely to be key players. While Harvard did not play a fantastic game, they beat a decent Siena team with limited contributions from their experienced seniors, Juzang and Lewis. Instead - their freshmen looked very good as did the others coming off the bench. They are scary deep.

I'm not sure how our 3 seniors can do it without major contributions from bench players as we move into the meat of our schedule. Supposedly we are deeper than in past years, but that has yet to be proven.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
11-15-19 12:54 PM - Post#291097    
    In response to AsiaSunset

Depth will be key to success this season (as it usually is). That being the case, I'm glad to see so many players, particularly the newbies, getting a lot of minutes early on. Donahue is clearly working to be able to go at least 4-5 players into his bench.

One of the things that always frustrated me about Dunphy was his steadfast refusal to try to develop a bench beyond 1-2 players. It didn't hurt the team in conference play, but I'm positive it's one of the reasons his teams had so little success out of conference and in the postseason.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
11-15-19 01:19 PM - Post#291104    
    In response to Silver Maple

We have no apparent depth in the Bigs Dept. One or two guys are going to have to step up and take on major minutes without a major dropoff.

palestra38 
Professor

11-15-19 01:19 PM - Post#291105    
    In response to 10Q

We have a freshman big man---it's just going to take time. Wang would help, if he will ever be healthy

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
11-15-19 01:28 PM - Post#291107    

Like I said, no apparent depth. Just potential. Hoping one or both can help AJ.

Condor 
PhD Student

11-16-19 10:42 AM - Post#291185    
    In response to UPIA1968

Looking at the players based on the stats to date only (obviously a very small sample size), here would be my notes:

Brodeur: Cut down on TO’s

Betley: Basically keep doing what you are doing while improving overall game

Goodman: Work on 3 pt shot

Dingle: Work on 3 pt shot and FT’s. His numbers are not horrible, but hopefully will be better

Scott: Basically keep doing what you are doing while improving overall game

Washington: Work on 3 pt shot, reduce TO’s & PF’s. I think he is just getting accustom to new role.

Monroe: Work on 3 pt shot and FT’s.

Simmons: Cut down on TO’s & PF’s while trying to get more rebounds. Obviously, this is not necessarily an easy fix. I am ok with his offense.

The other guys are TBD.

I haven't seen all the games to decide if the stats match the eyes.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
11-16-19 12:09 PM - Post#291192    
    In response to Condor

On the Bryce point about learning a new position/role, what was Charles’ role when he was lighting up practices? Is he a combo who can slot in behind Dingle and Goodman? If so, he may solve the problem that we seem to struggle unless we have both guards on the floor.

Bryce certainly had the bench fired up with his play early against Lasalle. He hit a 3 and made a couple of hustle plays that got the bench on their feet yelling. Seemed to get out of his comfort zone after that, though. The effort seems to be there, so I think he’ll figure it out.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
11-16-19 08:36 PM - Post#291233    
    In response to SomeGuy

• SomeGuy Said:
On the Bryce point about learning a new position/role, what was Charles’ role when he was lighting up practices? Is he a combo who can slot in behind Dingle and Goodman? If so, he may solve the problem that we seem to struggle unless we have both guards on the floor.

Bryce certainly had the bench fired up with his play early against Lasalle. He hit a 3 and made a couple of hustle plays that got the bench on their feet yelling. Seemed to get out of his comfort zone after that, though. The effort seems to be there, so I think he’ll figure it out.

I seem to recall having read something about Washington having been more of a slasher in high school, and having to make the transition to being a spot-up shooter last year. Could be he's still trying to figure out how to balance those aspects of his game with his role this year.

Condor 
PhD Student

11-19-19 10:06 AM - Post#291437    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

Last year Washington played in 30 games with OR% of 107.1 (DR% 99.6) that included a .411 FG%, a .398 3FG%, and a .829 FT% while logging 626 minutes (well past the Gensler magic number of 400) that included 30 GP and 22 GS. Based on the numbers, he was the best 3pt & FT shooter on the team. Also, next to Scott, he was our best rebounding guard with Reb% of 9.1. He didn’t play much at the end of last season, but before that he was very effective. It is early in the season, so we’ll just have to see how Washington and the rest of the players figure things out.

OldBig5 
Masters Student

Reg: 02-18-18
11-27-19 04:15 PM - Post#292542    
    In response to Condor

Lasalle has beaten Murray State and Wright State in their tourney. So maybe they are not awful this year.

palestra38 
Professor

11-27-19 05:58 PM - Post#292556    
    In response to OldBig5

They are very young and a work in progress. Playing them early at the Palestra was a good thing for Penn.

OldBig5 
Masters Student

Reg: 02-18-18
11-28-19 08:55 PM - Post#292618    

• palestra38 Said:
They are very young and a work in progress. Playing them early at the Palestra was a good thing for Penn.

]]

Won their tourney.

Page 4 of 4 « First<1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.28 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:02 PM