Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Going under the screen        (Topic#23568)
Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylva...
Reg: 11-21-04
11-20-19 05:35 PM - Post#291782    

I have started this topic separate from the Lafayette game thread.

During the Lafayette game, Chip expressed unhappiness with Ray Jerome going under a screen. The next day Penn Fan 10 noted the issue of going under screens as something in need of future correction.

It is my understanding that going under a screen is a customary aspect of the Donahue game plan, and not a failure of execution by individual players.

If I recall correctly, it was explained to me (by someone outside the program) that while the ball handler might shoot from the other side of the screen, that would be a shot taken on the move, and would be less likely to be successful (for most collegiate players) than a stand still, open shot. That is among the reasons coaches employ that type of defense.

See the discussion and videos here for a more detailed analysis of "drop" and "under."

I may be mistaken, but it is my recollection that the overwhelming majority of Lafayette's open 3 point shots were of the stand still variety. While those were major defensive failures, they were not the immediate result of defenders going under screens.

I do not claim to be an X and O expert. I invite Steve Danley or other former players to present the costs and benefits of under the screen defense.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
11-20-19 05:56 PM - Post#291788    
    In response to Stuart Suss

I saw much worse decision making from the guards who were inexplicably doubling down low, thus leaving open kick outs. In fact, with the game on the line we actually played good defense for 27 seconds until one of the guards bailed, leaving a wide open dagger 3. I think we've run into a bit of hot shooting bad luck on both offense and defense as our shots are pretty open too, but 3 games begins to make a trend.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
11-20-19 07:51 PM - Post#291797    
    In response to Quakers03

Stu, I think you are correct. And I should add that a defensive game plan may be to go under vs over a screen for various reasons vs some players vs others. You can hear the players yell to each other at times “under, under” against a certain guard and “over, over” vs others. Usually that equates to 3 pt shooters (“over”). You will notice Lafayette never went under a screen on Ryan Betley. We also went over ever screen on Jawasuki (or whatever his name is). Going unders a screen is usually against a prolific slasher of the ball who is an average 3 pt shooter.

It may be the “under” strategy is more widely employed as you suggest. I do know it is player by player in each game by game plan.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
Reg: 11-21-04
11-21-19 09:40 PM - Post#291962    
    In response to PennFan10

Pretty sure the instances with Jerome I noted were when covering Jaworski.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
11-21-19 11:04 PM - Post#291970    
    In response to Chip Bayers

I agree. Those were both mistakes I believe, by freshmen, given the way Dev was guarding him most of the time.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
11-21-19 11:17 PM - Post#291971    
    In response to PennFan10

There were all kinds of misses on switches, sometimes early in the shot clock and sometimes late (that was perhaps the most frustrating....there were actually times where the D was good on multiple switches for 25 seconds until it broke down very late).

Sometimes they were caused by the way Jerome (or others) initially defended against a screen for a 3 point shooter, and sometimes not.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.149 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:04 AM