Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Seattle Game        (Topic#23597)
SteelCity 
Junior
SteelCity
Reg: 02-04-06
Re: Seattle Game
11-25-19 10:59 PM - Post#292324    
    In response to MrPhillie

PSU closed that game with a 16-2 run to get that win as well. It will be a tough one for sure.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
11-25-19 11:09 PM - Post#292329    
    In response to HuskyColonial

• HuskyColonial Said:
After reviewing their schedule and seeing their only wins are over teams whose names start with Pacific, yet aren’t Pacific University, tell me again how Seattle is a good team? They’ve been blown out by every team not starting with a ocean in their name.

Seattle is not a strong team but not bad - so it's not a great win for the Bison but definitely a respectable one. Seattle entered with a Pomeroy ranking of #191 - the same as Boston U and better than seven PL teams. Had the Bison beaten Boston U or Lehigh or American on a neutral court, it would feel pretty good. One other thing of note is that Seattle was picked to finish 3rd (out of 9 teams) in the WAC coaches' poll. One reason for that is that Seattle is the third most experienced team in the nation, based on how many minutes their players played last year.

Yes, Seattles's two wins are not impressive. But they also have no bad losss, losing only to Syracuse, Mississippi, Washington State, and Eastern Washington. Eastern Washington took Boston College down to the final seconds in a 4-point road loss last week.

bison63 
Postdoc

11-26-19 12:36 AM - Post#292332    
    In response to Bison137

This game went back and forth until the last few minutes with neither team able to build a substantial lead or take control. Yet the over all impression, especially in the first half was that Seattle was playing well and Bucknell was not. Make 1/3 of the layups, foul shots and three pointers that we missed, and we blow Seattle out by mote than Yale blew out W. Mich.

That, to me, is why it was an ugly win. That said, we did eventually make enough 3’s and layups to get the lead, and Moore, Funk , Avi and Sotos had
good games overall. The foul shooting for the whole game, including at the end during “put them away” time was especially concerning.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
11-26-19 01:06 AM - Post#292333    
    In response to bison63

• bison63 Said:
The foul shooting for the whole game, including at the end during “put them away” time was especially concerning.

I would change the above to "AVI'S foul shooting for the whole game, including at the end during “put them away” time was especially concerning"

Funk, Moore, and Sotos were 16-17 from the line for the game, but Avi was 4-10. (And Meeks 0-2.). Down the stretch, Avi was 3-6 while the others were 5-6. Avi was a poor FT shooter as a freshman, but he has been OK since then, so I am not going to worry at this point. The Bison collectively are hitting 73% this year - 98th in the nation.

nh2032 
Sophomore

Reg: 02-28-06
11-26-19 06:55 AM - Post#292340    
    In response to Bison137

I'm intrigued and encouraged by the 2nd half lineup choice of essentially playing the starters the whole way. Newman to Meeks or Spear is a pretty even swap depending on matchup but the drop off from any of the other 4 starters to the bench is huge right now. Just have to hope the back to back games and 3 in 4 days doesn't catch up with us.

Other than would have liked to see better defensive rebounding and Avi foul shooting like others. I thought the defense on Brown by Jimmy and Avi was actually pretty decent but he still ended up with 29. Flashbacks to Burns and Colgate dismantling us last year.

Old Bison 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-09-17
11-26-19 09:58 AM - Post#292353    
    In response to nh2032

Relative to the first paragraph above I couldn’t agree more. If you look at this as an audition for OOC then Robertson, Ellis and Rice should have played themselves out of the mix with Meeks being kick saved by occasional scoring creativity. What’s worrisome is Nathan has always played 9 in RS including in the Colgate PL championship game after we got off slow (that went further south and became the proverbial bridge too far although everything became academic after Burns 2nd half explosion). First 5-6 need to stay on the court this year or things get very out of kilter offensively and the defense weaknesses really get exposed. I can excuse Avi’s FT shooting because we wouldn’t have even been there without him changing tactics and getting in the lane. Was remiss in not stating previously that I thought Sotos carried us again during 1st half dry spells. I guess the positive thing is that most of his lapses and bad decisions are attributable to him aggressively pushing the pace. Bad turnover from behind vs VT was replicated on a less impactful basis yesterday. We can’t keep shooting sub 20% from 3...can we? Play like we did in the second half yesterday (eliminating missed layups) and we’ll be just fine. Looking forward to the game. Hope the guys get a W followed by a nice swim.

Old Bison 
Masters Student

11-26-19 09:59 AM - Post#292355    
    In response to Old Bison

Audition for the RS not OOC

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
11-26-19 12:33 PM - Post#292379    
    In response to Old Bison

Can anybody tell me why Spear is not getting more PT? He was 3-3 shooting with 6 points, 2 boards, and no fouls in 14 minutes yesterday.

Is he a defensive liability?
New season, new team, new dream . . .

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
11-26-19 01:18 PM - Post#292382    
    In response to Bison89

His defensive prowess seems to depend a lot on who he is guarding and the style played by the opponent. Yesterday his defense in the post wasnt great. I think the bison’s overall game was at its best when Moore was playing center. He can guard most opposing centers and they struggle to guard him.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
11-26-19 03:21 PM - Post#292387    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:
His defensive prowess seems to depend a lot on who he is guarding and the style played by the opponent. Yesterday his defense in the post wasnt great. I think the bison’s overall game was at its best when Moore was playing center. He can guard most opposing centers and they struggle to guard him.

Should Newman or Spear get more PT? Newman had 3 points, 6 boards, 2 TOs, and 5 PFs in 19 minutes yesterday.

Maryland Bison 
Freshman

Reg: 04-20-18
11-26-19 04:02 PM - Post#292402    
    In response to Bison89

I'm starting to think that maybe Newman shouldn't have been starting over Nana after all.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
11-26-19 04:13 PM - Post#292409    
    In response to Maryland Bison

• Maryland Bison Said:
I'm starting to think that maybe Newman shouldn't have been starting over Nana after all.

What?

Maryland Bison 
Freshman

Reg: 04-20-18
11-26-19 04:29 PM - Post#292413    
    In response to Bison89

Lol, I forget who it was, but I think that was somebody's pet theory for a while.

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
11-26-19 10:55 PM - Post#292468    
    In response to Maryland Bison

Newman is a bust. This team isn’t good folks.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
11-27-19 01:13 AM - Post#292476    
    In response to Bison89

• Bison89 Said:
  • Bison137 Said:

Should Newman or Spear get more PT? Newman had 3 points, 6 boards, 2 TOs, and 5 PFs in 19 minutes yesterday.

Looking at it statistically, Newman has been better for the season to date. He is 6th lin the nation in defensive rebounding percentage and 90th in the nation in offensive rebounding percentage. If you put the two together, he is rebounding at about twice the rate that Spear is. He also is getting to the free-throw line 3 times as often per field goal attempt. His offense has not been quite as good as that of Spear however. Unfortunately neither of them is doing a very good job on post defense. And Newman continues to foul at a very high rate.

Old Bison 
Masters Student

11-27-19 09:17 AM - Post#292488    
    In response to Bison137

Your assessment was spot on, especially about his D be highly dependent on his assignment. He was an absolute force at Fairfield and we would likely have come away with an L without him. Also showed some nice blocks along with Bruce. Atkinson and the other kid were just too large, too physical and too skilled for him and he struggled with Davis from VT as well. Also had difficulty rebounding in traffic vs Seattle. Probably a better upside than Newman at this juncture however. Newman getting to the line is also counteracted by his slowness to convert drop off passes and seeming inability to finish by dunking. The layup down the lane yesterday was absolutely perplexing. We have virtually NO interior game. Would love to have a chart on when we released 3’s vis-a-vis the shot clock yesterday (I.e., what was horrible shot decisions vs launching under violation duress. It became clear yesterday in the 2nd half that we couldn’t in fact get to the basket ala Seattle. Yale just took it away 100%. Spear will learn that if the opposing big man gets the ball that deep he’s cooked. Until he has the physical ability to move the other guy out like Newman he’s gonna have to concentrate on the “old-fashioned” way and do his best denying the entry. Doesn’t seem to be what we teach

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

11-27-19 05:18 PM - Post#292549    
    In response to Old Bison

Let’s be fair to the young man. Newman was a project when we recruited him. He doesn’t do anything particularly well the least of which is defense. But he’s 6’9” and athletic so he must be given an opportunity to grow. He simply hasn’t.

And this is key for the Bison. The outside-inside game has been a staple of Bison basketball given that we’ve been blessed with 3 talented centers in McNaighton-Moose-Foulland and those days are long gone. However there isn’t enough talent to change the approach.

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

11-27-19 05:18 PM - Post#292550    
    In response to Old Bison

Let’s be fair to the young man. Newman was a project when we recruited him. He doesn’t do anything particularly well the least of which is defense. But he’s 6’9” and athletic so he must be given an opportunity to grow. He simply hasn’t.

And this is key for the Bison. The outside-inside game has been a staple of Bison basketball given that we’ve been blessed with 3 talented centers in McNaighton-Moose-Foulland and those days are long gone. However there isn’t enough talent to change the approach.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
11-27-19 06:27 PM - Post#292558    
    In response to HuskyColonial

• HuskyColonial Said:
Let’s be fair to the young man. Newman was a project when we recruited him. He doesn’t do anything particularly well the least of which is defense..

To be fair to him, you must acknowledge that he is currently sixth in the nation in defensive rebounds and 90th in the nation in offensive rebounding rate. I think that’s pretty good. Or better than pretty good.

As you say, there are issues in other areas. Last year he was also among the leaders in percentage of blocked shots. However this year his blocked shot rate has fallen dramatically. Not sure why that is, unless he is trying to avoid fouls.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
11-29-19 09:39 AM - Post#292792    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:
Last year he was also among the leaders in percentage of blocked shots. However this year his blocked shot rate has fallen dramatically. Not sure why that is, unless he is trying to avoid fouls.

If Newman is trying to avoid fouls, it doesn't appear to be working out very well for him.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.262 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:15 AM