Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 9 of 9 « First<6789
Username Post: vs. Arizona        (Topic#23622)
10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
Reg: 11-21-04
12-02-19 07:18 AM - Post#293243    
    In response to SomeGuy

Exactly

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

12-02-19 08:15 AM - Post#293245    
    In response to 10Q

This is a discussion that seems circular. There is a lot of reaching, bumping, grabbing in a basketball game. The distinction between “play on” contact and a called foul often gets blurred. But is there really doubt that a phantom call where there is no contact is a bad call despite what the official thought he saw?

10Q 
Professor

12-02-19 08:25 AM - Post#293246    
    In response to AsiaSunset

No doubt

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
12-02-19 08:46 AM - Post#293247    

Could be too much youth coaching that makes me think that way. I’m always thinking process. In the games I coach, the goal of the refs is to teach how to play defense the right way, not to correctly call contact. If a kid gets called for a play like AJ’s reach, I’m dealing with what I can control by talking to the player, not the ref.

But to Stu’s point, the attitude i’ve developed from coaching of never criticizing the refs makes my experience watching games a whole lot less aggravating than it seems to be for a lot of you guys. I literally don’t pay this stuff any mind at all except for when I read about it on here after the game. To me, the calls are the calls.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
12-02-19 08:48 AM - Post#293248    
    In response to 10Q

There is no doubt. But I am not arguing fault. I am saying players have to be smarter. You don’t actually get 5 fouls in a game, you get 3 because officials are going to make at least 2 bad calls on fouls. When you reach you open yourself up to a foul call regardless of contact.

And when’s the last time a foul was called on a basketball player that the player agreed with?

10Q 
Professor

12-02-19 09:07 AM - Post#293249    
    In response to PennFan10

I get it. You mentioned fault in your post and that was what I was responding to. Moving on.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
12-02-19 03:59 PM - Post#293295    
    In response to 10Q

I generally don’t get really upset with refs and bad calls, so I’m with you SG and I don’t often get bothered. This game bothered me though because it was a few pretty egregious fouls that completely altered the flow of the game.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
12-02-19 05:09 PM - Post#293301    

• AsiaSunset Said:
This is a discussion that seems circular. There is a lot of reaching, bumping, grabbing in a basketball game. The distinction between “play on” contact and a called foul often gets blurred. But is there really doubt that a phantom call where there is no contact is a bad call despite what the official thought he saw?

At some point in almost every televised game I've seen so far this season, the commentators point out the fact that officials have been directed to pay particular attention to contact that may seem incidental but is meant to disrupt an offensive player's freedom of movement. They're also scrutinizing the so-called "flop" much more carefully.

While the former seems far more germane to the situations we've been discussing, where AJ has been hit with fouls that appear almost imperceptible to the non-referee's eyes, I don't think the phantom flop is that big a deal.

I also suspect that as players grow more accustomed to the way the game is being called this season, they'll adjust. They always do.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
12-03-19 02:42 AM - Post#293325    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

It's frustrating when the underdog seems to get picked on with bad calls, while the favorite gets away with a lot of stuff. Like in those sports movies where they exaggerate the adversity facing Our Heroes by making the officials part of the problem, seeming not to respect the underdog enough to give them a fair shake.

OTOH, when you know you're having ref problems, it's probably a good idea not to give them any extra chances to screw up by dangerous reach-ins and such. And in the end, it was Penn's inability to cash in the foul shots they did get that really made the game hard to win (although Mannion hitting every runner, floater, and trey regardless of how off-balance he looked was a big problem too).

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
12-03-19 07:29 AM - Post#293331    
    In response to SRP

Absolutely. Officiating that seems biased against the mid-major team is frustrating. It's harder to complain when the calls are consistently bad for both teams.

Page 9 of 9 « First<6789
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.429 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:46 PM