Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Username Post: Wisener        (Topic#23715)
Glenflesk 
Freshman

Loc: Subr Phila
Reg: 11-20-08
Re: Wisener
12-20-19 09:43 PM - Post#295047    
    In response to Old Bear

Yeah, the Widener game is on ESPN+ if you have access.

You know the story about a comp ticket. If you get one, everyone deserves one. And if they give one to everyone who gets the word that all you have to do is ask, the ones who don't ask will hear about it and complain. Turning you down is predictable policy.

There are lots of people reading these posts who have a ticket available. It's time for them to step up and offer.

I enjoy seeing what the bench riders can do in a game like this.

Edited by Glenflesk on 12-20-19 09:48 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
12-21-19 09:28 AM - Post#295061    
    In response to Glenflesk

It’s interesting to me (and this goes for football too) that Penn Athletics think they have pricing power when it comes to tickets for events that have a majority of empty seats. I understand they do promotions at times; but they appear to be convinced the dwindling season ticket base can be abused like this without any backlash. It seems to me they are pushing their luck and pricing out the next generation of alumni fans (as if there are a significant number of those in the first place.) I get that the revenue primarily comes from ESPN and donations, but actually having people in the building matters. When we die off, where will the donations come from?

For my part, I redirected my Athletics donation to the hockey program, in part because of this policy around the season hoops tickets.

palestra38 
Professor

12-21-19 09:39 AM - Post#295062    
    In response to Streamers

My section (104) used to be full. It's now half empty and they fill the seats with comps to people they want to comp, just not '03. It's a really stupid policy to charge the same season ticket price for 3 fewer games and a Division 3 game. I asked them to comp me a seat from their allocation at Providence as partial compensation for this rip-off and they said no.'

It's going to come back to them

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
Wisener
12-21-19 02:09 PM - Post#295071    
    In response to palestra38

Interesting. Martz gets the start over Scott. Is the coaching staff looking for more offense from that spot?

That first charge call on Dingle was a flop, as I saw it.

Martz is hot, and Washington made up for getting beat back door by hitting his first shot.

Edited by weinhauers_ghost on 12-21-19 02:13 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Wisener
12-21-19 02:40 PM - Post#295078    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

Good minutes for MLL. He doesn't look totally comfortable at the high post, but he's established himself as a rim protector and has gotten a couple of dunks off good passes. His low post footwork needs to get better.

I didn't see Michael Wang on the bench. Ray Jerome's in street clothes.

Penn leads 50-23 at the half. FG% 49.0, 40% 3FG.

Edited by weinhauers_ghost on 12-21-19 02:52 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

12-21-19 03:38 PM - Post#295085    

Final score: 105-57, Penn. Basically a glorified scrimmage that actually counts in the record books.

1st UP 
Sophomore

Loc: Denver
Reg: 11-11-09
12-21-19 05:17 PM - Post#295090    

According to the DP article on the game, Michael Wang is in China. He needs an operation and is done for the year. https://www.thedp.com/article/2019/12/penn- mens-ba...

I also noticed that Jelani Williams is no longer listed on the roster. https://pennathletics.com/sports/mens-basketbal l/r...

palestra38 
Professor

12-21-19 05:36 PM - Post#295091    
    In response to 1st UP

I heard that Jelani was saying that he will be back next year and is working out.

But we'll have to wait and see.

As for the game, Martz and Betley showed that if we get them open shots, they will drain them at a ridiculously effective clip. Other than that, we saw that the freshmen are very very athletic.

But this is a joke of a $33 ticket. Thanks Athletic Dept.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

12-21-19 05:54 PM - Post#295092    
    In response to palestra38

I seem to recall having read that Jelani took the semester off to work on rehabbing after the most recent surgery.

Very disappointing to hear the news about Wang. Hope his procedure is successful and the rehab is swift and uncomplicated.

I have to say that the play of Martz and Monroe has been a bright spot. Hopefully MLL will also earn some more time as well.

DCAJedi 
Masters Student

Loc: Somewhere.
12-21-19 07:37 PM - Post#295100    

Weinhauer's Ghost is correct that Williams is off the roster for the semester because he has withdrawn from school for injury rehab.

Wang will have surgery when he returns from China.

Maybe this will cheer you up: Steve Donahue believes Jonah Charles will be on the court before the end of January.

More here, including some quite confident words from Steve on how good he thinks his team is: https://www.inquirer.com/college-sports/penn/c olle...
"Here will be an old abusing of God's patience, and the king's English."

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

12-21-19 09:12 PM - Post#295109    
    In response to DCAJedi

• DCAJedi Said:
Weinhauer's Ghost is correct that Williams is off the roster for the semester because he has withdrawn from school for injury rehab.

Wang will have surgery when he returns from China.

Maybe this will cheer you up: Steve Donahue believes Jonah Charles will be on the court before the end of January.

More here, including some quite confident words from Steve on how good he thinks his team is: https://www.inquirer.com/college-sports/penn/c olle...

Your link was bad. This one might work better.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
12-21-19 10:52 PM - Post#295114    

Steve says he thinks they can be his best team. They are currently 74th in offense. He says he thinks they are now ready to guard people the way they did the last couple years. Their defense is currently ranked 150th. Their offense is good enough to win the Ivy right now and the best they have been in the Donahue era. If the defense can improve to somewhere around 100, which would be very hard to do, they will have somewhere near a top 75 team and will be able to challenge anyone I would think. We’ll see but this will be a dangerous Penn team.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

12-22-19 07:15 AM - Post#295117    
    In response to DCAJedi

I guess if there is a positive, both Jelani and Michael should have a 5th year should they want it.

Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylva...
12-22-19 11:26 AM - Post#295124    
    In response to AsiaSunset

In light of current NCAA rules, why would any high level Ivy basketball player pay tuition for a 5th undergraduate year and then pay tuition for a first graduate year?

He (or Katie Benzan) could, instead, obtain an Ivy degree in 4 years, then have a year of free graduate school at a high major basketball program, thus saving two years of tuition (the 5th year undergraduate and the 1st year graduate school).

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
12-22-19 01:35 PM - Post#295126    
    In response to Stuart Suss

In general, Stu is correct IMHO... In Jelani's case, however, it is unclear whether he will finish out his degree in 4 years given the time off for rehab.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

12-22-19 01:50 PM - Post#295129    
    In response to Streamers

Seems Jelani is likely planning to be at Penn in 21/22. As for Michael who knows. But let’s remember, one doesn’t need to be a full time student in the “wrap up “ semester and, importantly, not all students have heavy tuition burdens at Penn, especially some student/ athletes. Some pay very little tuition as a result of substantial fin aid packages.

DCAJedi 
Masters Student

Loc: Somewhere.
12-22-19 07:18 PM - Post#295146    

Thanks for posting the right link.
"Here will be an old abusing of God's patience, and the king's English."

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
12-23-19 08:38 AM - Post#295158    
    In response to DCAJedi

Drawing definitive conclusions from that game is impossible - would have preferred a more competitive opponent. That said:

Martz made a good case for being elevated to the starting lineup.

Monroe earned more looks. He has an interesting mix of skills - can potentially run the point, can mix it up beneath the hoop, can drive the lane, and is now flashing an outside shot.

I'm salivating over what MLL can become. He's raw but I like what he brings. His passing was better than what I was expecting.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

12-23-19 10:09 AM - Post#295166    
    In response to TheLine

• TheLine Said:
Drawing definitive conclusions from that game is impossible - would have preferred a more competitive opponent. That said:

Martz made a good case for being elevated to the starting lineup.

Monroe earned more looks. He has an interesting mix of skills - can potentially run the point, can mix it up beneath the hoop, can drive the lane, and is now flashing an outside shot.

I'm salivating over what MLL can become. He's raw but I like what he brings. His passing was better than what I was expecting.

Gotta remember, AJ's passing out of post double teams was pretty raw when he was a freshman, too.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
12-23-19 12:07 PM - Post#295183    
    In response to Glenflesk

While I understand the "well then we'll have to give to everyone" policy, as Palestra and Streamers both point out, at some point it's going to come back to bite them. It turns out I didn't need the ticket anyway, but I really wanted to test them to see how they'd react. Predictably, I received my answer.

As to the game, it was a waste of drive but at least the parking was free. I guess they need a tune up but can't we find something a little better than this? I heard Carnegie Mellon has some D1 upsets in their history.

MLL did indeed look athletic and the way he seals rebounds and can block balls will be fun, but let's just hope AJ can impart some offensive footwork wisdom.

No one has mentioned it, but if this game counts towards official stats, AJ lost his 10-point streak...

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.201 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:03 PM