Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Tape        (Topic#23723)
Dr. V 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
12-19-19 07:03 PM - Post#294950    

FWIW, Jon Rothstein reports that Tape has told him that his top three grad transfer destinations are USC, VirginiaTech and Arizona. The story that has been suggested by some is that he decided to skip his last year at CU because it was really important for him, after earning his CU degree, to acquire a cost-free M.A.

If his major or area of interest were film making or engineering or the study of cactuses, the above choice of schools might make sense, but his major has been urban studies.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
12-19-19 07:53 PM - Post#294954    
    In response to Dr. V

First, I do agree with you that it seems unlikely that an urban studies major at Columbia would seek to expand his knowledge of the subject at Virginia Tech; second your remark about Tape possibly studying cactuses at Arizona made me chuckle--very funny; and third, I suppose Tape could reasonably pursue graduate degree related to urban studies at U.S.C, but given the similarities in the road taken by both Adlesh and Tape, you might assume that something else is at play here in Tape's decision making.

palestra38 
Professor

12-19-19 08:00 PM - Post#294957    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

Arizona has one of the finest astronomy programs in the nation. Maybe he wanted to see some stars after 3 years at Columbia.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
12-20-19 11:51 AM - Post#295000    
    In response to palestra38

I don’t know the young man. I wonder, however, how his teammates feel about his decision. I also wonder if an intermediary was involved.

palestra38 
Professor

12-20-19 12:19 PM - Post#295002    
    In response to Chet Forte

Just joking, Chet.

I had raised the same concerns as you when I heard about this.

Tod Howard Hawks 
Freshman

Reg: 03-17-14
12-20-19 04:49 PM - Post#295023    

Tape is no laughing matter.

As far as I'm concerned, the name Tape will live in infamy forever in the annals of Columbia BB.

A masters from Virginia Tech? Excuse me, but how would that enhance Tape's future?

The Tape debacle epitomizes the depth and despair into which Columbia BB has fallen.

palestra38 
Professor

12-20-19 04:55 PM - Post#295024    
    In response to Tod Howard Hawks

I don't want to get into this with you, but arrogance always bothers me. What on earth do you mean that a masters from Virginia Tech is worthless? Why can't you understand why he would want a free post-graduate education.

The only issue here is the timing of the notice and possible recruitment of a player preparing for a season. It is not his desire for a free post-graduate education on the ground that you don't think a school is worthy.

Tod Howard Hawks 
Freshman

Reg: 03-17-14
12-20-19 08:03 PM - Post#295043    

Palestra38:

Are you being disingenuous?

A B.A. from Columbia, which tied with MIT and Yale as the third best university in the nation, according to the most recent rankings from U.S. News', is worth A LOT academically.

If Tape will settle for a Master's (we're not even talking about a PhD here) from Virginia Tech, then I think he would have served BOTH his athletic and academic aspirations infinitely better had he first choosen to attend Virginia Tech as an undergraduate, then stayed there to get his Master's.

Let me be clear: I am talking about academe's version of realpolitik. I think you, a graduate of Penn, would not simply understand the cogency of my contentions, but in fact would eagerly embrace them.

As for your use of the word "arrogance," I find your choice of that word both erroneous, as well as gratuitous.

palestra38 
Professor

Tape
12-21-19 09:47 AM - Post#295063    

Hey, not only do I have a Penn BA, but a Columbia JD, and that was Columbia Law at its absolute height, with RBG, John Coffee, Gerard Lynch, Willis Reese, Benno Schmidt, E. Allan Farnsworth, I could go on and on.

I know something about name. I also know that US News rankings are not worth the toilet paper they are written on--they are no more "scientific" than these "Best Lawyers" or "Best Doctors" ratings that you see everywhere. If you think you can't get a great education at Virginia Tech because it is not rated as highly as Columbia (and you seem to think Tape won't get his BA from CU--HE WILL), you indeed are arrogant. And you can get a really good job with a Masters from that school, as well as USC or Arizona. You seem to reside in a world from the 1950s, where all that matters is name. I'm not saying name doesn't open doors but it's what you do with it after the door is open that matters. And to cast aspersions on Tape for thinking about getting a free post-graduate education because the schools are not ranked to your liking is....(I'll be kind)....ridiculous.

Keep the argument to how he was recruited--that's a fair criticism. Where you took it to is not.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

12-23-19 10:55 AM - Post#295173    

Let’s take a break from these rankings. I know people who went to Harvard and hated it and others who went to Cornell and loved it. The differences are not so much in the quality of the applicants but in the different type of educational experience.Some people like a large (Penn, Columbia, Harvard), a smaller city (Yale, Brown) others like the country (Dartmouth, Cornell) or the suburbs (Princeton). Some people like a core curriculum (Columbia) and there prefer total freedom in designing a program (Brown). Most people look back at wherever they went as the right decision for them.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
12-23-19 09:15 PM - Post#295230    

• Tod Howard Hawks Said:
Palestra38:

Are you being disingenuous?

A B.A. from Columbia, which tied with MIT and Yale as the third best university in the nation, according to the most recent rankings from U.S. News', is worth A LOT academically.

If Tape will settle for a Master's (we're not even talking about a PhD here) from Virginia Tech, then I think he would have served BOTH his athletic and academic aspirations infinitely better had he first choosen to attend Virginia Tech as an undergraduate, then stayed there to get his Master's.

Let me be clear: I am talking about academe's version of realpolitik. I think you, a graduate of Penn, would not simply understand the cogency of my contentions, but in fact would eagerly embrace them.

As for your use of the word "arrogance," I find your choice of that word both erroneous, as well as gratuitous.

This post turned my stomach.

internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
01-16-20 01:43 PM - Post#296807    
    In response to Silver Maple

Syracuse, N.Y. -- Columbia graduate transfer Patrick Tapé has set a date to visit with Syracuse basketball, according to a new report.

ESPN’s Jeff Borzello reports that Tapé will visit the Orange on Feb. 28 after visiting Maryland on Feb. 15. USC, Georgetown, Arizona and others have also been in contact with Tape about transferring.
west coast fan

Murph 
Masters Student

Reg: 09-13-11
01-16-20 01:50 PM - Post#296811    
    In response to internetter

Good for Tape. I'm happy for him.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

01-16-20 01:56 PM - Post#296812    
    In response to Murph

I wonder how Tape’s teammates feel about him right now.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

01-16-20 01:57 PM - Post#296813    

Or shall i say former teammates.

Murph 
Masters Student

01-16-20 02:26 PM - Post#296815    

Chet, I seriously don't understand why Tape is such a lightning rod. Why is he the recipient of so much more hostility than Meisner, Faulds or Hanson, as examples? Was it due to the timing of his decision?

Please explain.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

01-16-20 04:15 PM - Post#296830    
    In response to Murph

Because Tape walked away right before the start of the season. Because he was a senior. Because Columbia took a chance on him coming from a very weak HS program and made him into a player by investing time and effort into his development. Faulds and Hanson walked away after their first years—as far as I can tell them were possible diamonds in the rough, and based upon the fact that they have now done absolutely nothing at their new schools how smart a decision did they make? Meisner is a tougher case— but at least he made his decision not to come back during the summer.

Billy Hoyle 
Freshman

Loc: Roar-ee's Lair
Reg: 12-17-14
01-16-20 04:28 PM - Post#296837    
    In response to Murph

• Murph Said:
Chet, I seriously don't understand why Tape is such a lightning rod. Why is he the recipient of so much more hostility than Meisner, Faulds or Hanson, as examples? Was it due to the timing of his decision?

Please explain.

the timing. He practiced with the team right up until the start of the season then quit on them. Faulds and Hanson left after the season, when most transfers take place.
I can hear Jimi!

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
01-16-20 05:19 PM - Post#296842    
    In response to Billy Hoyle

I agree with Billy--Has to be "timing." In general, any reasonably smart player in any sport anywhere who quits on his team just before the season starts has to expect his former teammates (and the fans) to be very unhappy. Of course, there can sometimes be extenuating circumstances, such as illness, grades, family problems and the like. In Tape's case, I am unaware whether he ever offered a public explanation which leaves everyone guessing what triggered his departure. If I were him, I would say something nice about Columbia, his teammates and coaches, but maybe he has nothing particularly nice to say in which event we might all be better off if he keeps quiet.

hoopsfan 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-26-04
01-16-20 07:21 PM - Post#296848    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

For Columbia fans Tape's departure was a very big disappointment. As noted by others we cannot know all the circumstances surrounding his decision.

One clue however might be found in this July 9 photo from Ike Nweke's Instagram account, which shows Tape' with a boot and cast on his right foot. Again, no way to know if this was a factor but it is a heretofore unknown data point.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzhF_solZc7/

Murph 
Masters Student

Tape
01-22-20 07:20 AM - Post#297186    
    In response to hoopsfan

So one possible explanation, based on the Instagram photo, is that Tape may have had some kind of lingering foot injury. He attempted to play through the injury and practice with the team in preseason, but the injury did not improve. So instead of entering the season with an injured foot, and possibly wasting a year of eligibility, he decided to sit out a year, let his foot fully heal, graduate, and play his last year of eligibility as a grad school transfer. And the reason he did not make the injury public is because he didn't want to jeopardize his desirability as a grad transfer. That explanation is as plausible as any other.

But regardless, Columbia fans need to take the high road and wish Tape the best. He played well when he was here, and there is no reason to think that he acted dishonorably. Furthermore, these are not pro athletes, nor are they even playing at a high D1 level. Columbia fans need to keep this in perspective and not personalize Tape's decision by thinking that he let them down.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
02-12-20 11:53 AM - Post#299669    
    In response to Murph

Some update info on Tape in Jeff Borzello's ESPN article on Ivy Grad Transfers.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketba ll/story...

- Could we get to the point where college coaches are conducting campus visits with active Ivy League players in the middle of the season? That has been the case for Tape, who is sitting out this season while finishing up his undergraduate degree at Columbia. He tore a ligament in his toe over the summer and then aggravated the injury before the season began. Tape realized he could probably try to return after a few games, but he preferred to play a full season -- even if it wasn't in the Ivy League. Instead, Tape left the team.

It seems to be working out so far: The 6-foot-10 big man has already toured Syracuse and has visits set up with Maryland, Ohio State and USC.

"I think a lot of Ivy League players are looking to get the best of both worlds," Tape said.

As players like Smith and Tape ponder their next moves, it will be up to Ivy League coaches to decide whether to push for reform, or risk having their talented rosters be potentially undermined by the rule. -

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

02-12-20 12:52 PM - Post#299680    
    In response to rbg

I have to agree, based upon new information, that Tape may have had a reasonable basis for concluding that his toe injury would have made it difficult for him to play this season. The IL is not going to change its rules on post-grad eligibility because a few of the schools do not have the type of graduate program infrastructure which would lend itself to a fifth year.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.222 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:38 PM