Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: at Hartford        (Topic#23734)
FlareScreen 
Freshman

Reg: 08-09-19
12-23-19 09:22 AM - Post#295162    

It is the holiday season and Earl gave Hartford a nice Christmas gift. Cornell played pretty good in the first half and then fell apart again in the second half. No imagination on offense at all and after 10 games they do not have a regular player that is shooting better than 30% from 3. Cornell was up 15 with about 9 minutes to go and then went cold from the floor and some turnovers sealed their fate. Right now, they just don’t seem to have anyone who they can trust at the end of games. Offense is very vanilla, hey after 10 games, it is time to try something new. Dickson played well off the bench and has earned more minutes hopefully he get them.

mountainred 
Masters Student

Loc: Charleston, WV
Reg: 04-11-10
at Hartford
12-23-19 10:08 AM - Post#295165    
    In response to FlareScreen

Second time this season where the guys have had a 95% win probability and lost. Not good. The heady days of the Bingo win are long forgotten.

I wouldn't mind seeing more of Dickson, he looks like the only real post player on the team since McCarty wants to float out to the perimeter and take 3s. I also would like to see more of Greg Dolan, who has looked good to my untrained eye in limited minutes. I keep hearing that Knapp is a great defensive player, but a 81.5 ORtg is hard to keep in the line-up (though, I guess, his last two games have been better).

Edited by mountainred on 12-23-19 10:21 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

FLBB 
Freshman

Reg: 05-19-18
12-25-19 11:48 AM - Post#295278    
    In response to mountainred

The talent level has deteriorated in each of Earl's seasons, I had high hopes when he took the job, but the program does not look like it is headed anywhere.

mountainred 
Masters Student

12-28-19 12:14 PM - Post#295340    
    In response to FLBB

• FLBB Said:
The talent level has deteriorated in each of Earl's seasons, I had high hopes when he took the job, but the program does not look like it is headed anywhere.

The first year without Morgan was always going to be a true test of the program because Matt covered up a lot of sins. It has been disappointing.

FlareScreen 
Freshman

12-28-19 12:14 PM - Post#295341    
    In response to FLBB

No doubt that Cornell is going in the wrong direction at this point of the season and the coaching staff seems unwilling to change anything. The problem might be just lack of experience. Earl is a 40 something but has never been a head coach before Cornell, his only coaching experience was the 9 years he spent as an assistant at Princeton before coming to Cornell. The game on the offensive end has really changed, even over the past 3-5 years, much less the last 20 years. His assistant coaches are all young guys and have no significant coaching experience. What they really need is an assistant with “gray hair” but it might be too late for that based on the current course. Hope things turn around in the New Year.

mountainred 
Masters Student

12-29-19 11:31 AM - Post#295400    

• FlareScreen Said:
What they really need is an assistant with “gray hair” but it might be too late for that based on the current course. Hope things turn around in the New Year.

IMHO, what they need is a good recruiter. Boeheim is fringe all-Ivy (mainly b/c of his usage, but he does have a nice touch around the basket); McBride has bounced back and is a solid guard; and Jones looks promising for a freshman. That's 3 legit Ivy-caliber players that Earl has recruited in 3 full recruiting season.* They are playing 85 minutes a game, so that leaves another 115 minutes that have to go to guys who shouldn't be getting serious minutes in this league.

That may be a little harsh towards Warren, but Josh is really struggling this year (33 TO's, .118 shooting from behind the arc). Let's say you give him a pass as a senior leader, and there is no obvious replacement for him, you still need to find 85 minutes.

Dickson has shown some promise in the last couple of games, so maybe he develops? Dolan has looked the part in his brief minutes, but he's only gotten in 5 games. Noll works hard (11 steals and 11 ORs), but he's a sub 40% shooter from inside the arc, and closer to 20% outside (plus he just looks unsteady in his handle). The other three regulars (Knapp, McCarty, and Voss) have been, at best, spotty. Seriously, don't look at McCarty's stats since Bryant.

TL;DR -- I'm not sure what Earl could do differently with this current roster, but it's the roster he recruited.

* Earl did get 2 solid years from JUCO transfer Steve Julian. He wasn't great, but had a role.

FlareScreen 
Freshman

12-29-19 07:06 PM - Post#295437    
    In response to mountainred

I agree on the recruiting, they could really use someone with connections to the New England Prep Leagues. Several Ivies have hired prep coaches and/or former players as assistant coaches. That being said, the verbal commits website show all the Ivies as offering kids in the 2020-22 classes, Princeton and Cornell are the exceptions. I know that VC has omissions and some coaches do not like it but kids and fans like to see who is being recruited.

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-31-19
12-29-19 07:50 PM - Post#295443    

Henderson/Princeton are extremely quiet in terms of social media presence for offers/interest, which is how VC pulls all of their info. When Jaelin Llewellyn (Princeton's highest rated commit) committed to Princeton, Princeton wasn't even listed as interested on his VC page. Wouldn't be surprised if Earl is similar since he spent so long with Henderson at Princeton

FLBB 
Freshman

Reg: 05-19-18
12-30-19 09:19 PM - Post#295590    

• FlareScreen Said:
No doubt that Cornell is going in the wrong direction at this point of the season and the coaching staff seems unwilling to change anything. The problem might be just lack of experience. Earl is a 40 something but has never been a head coach before Cornell, his only coaching experience was the 9 years he spent as an assistant at Princeton before coming to Cornell. The game on the offensive end has really changed, even over the past 3-5 years, much less the last 20 years. His assistant coaches are all young guys and have no significant coaching experience. What they really need is an assistant with “gray hair” but it might be too late for that based on the current course. Hope things turn around in the New Year.

Earl is very "confident" in himself & his system, but I fear reality is slapping him in the face this season.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.196 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:27 AM