Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 6 of 7 « First<4567
Username Post: Howard        (Topic#23740)
rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
12-30-19 10:00 PM - Post#295621    
    In response to rbg

Good win against one of the weakest teams in Division 1.

Nice to see that Penn has 5 guys that are capable of putting up big points. Hopefully, Dingle's injury is minor and he'll be ready for Princeton on Saturday.

The only issues revolve around the three. On offense, Penn shot only 25% outside of Martz. That problem is smaller than the concern on the defensive end.

Penn came into the game allowing 36.7% from 3 against D-1 opponents. Howard entered with 33.2% from 3, basically the national average, and shot 47%. They'll need to do better against Princeton.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
Re: Howard
12-30-19 10:07 PM - Post#295638    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

I’m already having nightmares about AJ picking up cheap fouls vs Yale and getting crushed inside. Not much to take from this other than Max hitting 3s and Ryan shooting himself out of a slump. What has happened to Bryce is a mystery. Dingle jogged off the court ok...hopefully it was rest.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
12-30-19 11:35 PM - Post#295657    

The thing that continues to surprise me is that Donahue doesn’t try an offense that just lets MLL run the floor and dunk, but basically stay out of the way in the half court offense. Why does he have to play the high post? The answer is probably a combination of that he’ll need to do it eventually, so they want him to learn to do it, and for continuity they don’t want to change the whole offense based on whether or not AJ is in the game. But I’d kind of like to pull out all the stops to win this year with the 3 great seniors, and I think a look that can defend big 4s with MLL or Simmons paired with AJ would at least be useful to have in the bag of tricks.

Watching how things run now, I think Wang is going to be the 5 next year. Maybe he plays too small on the defensive end to do it, but he’s the one guy who can really pass from the high post. Needs to get healthy of course.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
12-31-19 09:28 AM - Post#295667    
    In response to SomeGuy

It's possible the defensive end is the bigger issue. Brodeur is a very good rim defender but doesn't have to defend the outside much. MLL has been used as a stay at home rim defender as well. Can either defend someone quicker? It would have to be MLL, can he do it? We cannot afford to have Brodeur picking up cheap fouls chasing. The defense relies heavily on switching but I don't think it's a good idea to task Brodeur with anything that raises the chances that he's going to pick up more fouls.

Donahue's offense is all about movement and spacing. If Brodeur and MLL are trying to occupy the same space then the offense won't work so well. Another possible issue is that Donahue feels MLL is too turnover prone to give extended minutes to.

Simmons still fouls too much so it's unlikely that using him in a two big set is going to work.

However, it won't surprise me if Donahue springs two big sets against a team like Yale.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
12-31-19 10:27 AM - Post#295668    
    In response to TheLine

• TheLine Said:
However, it won't surprise me if Donahue springs two big sets against a team like Yale.

I wouldn't be surprised, either. I don't see how we defend Atkinson and Bruner successfully while giving up as much size as the lineups we have been using would indicate.

TheLine 
Professor

Howard
12-31-19 01:26 PM - Post#295676    

Some other thoughts on the game :

Ordinarily I hate games against weaker opposition, but Kenny Blakeney deserves credit for having his team well prepared. Howard was still outgunned but they played hard throughout. I hope Blakeney is given a long leash because he has a lot of work to do.

I spent most of the game following Monroe and Martz as best as I could given the limitations of the feed. Both are coming along on the defensive end though are still learning - there seems to be fewer missed assignments as the season goes on, which is a good sign. Monroe does pretty much everything well on the offensive end other than shoot from the outside. His cuts to the hoop are hard to stop given his size. Martz plays like a coach's son - high basketball IQ, knows where he should be on the court, drills outside shots with confidence.

The 3 starting seniors all had solid games but other than them, Martz and Monroe, no one else did anything noteworthy. Scott had limited impact, Simmons picked up 2 quick fouls and was yanked, Washington didn't look good at all. Jerome was OK but TBD what he can do against better opposition.

Seems like we have 6 players that SD has confidence in, assuming Dingle's injury is minor.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
12-31-19 02:20 PM - Post#295680    
    In response to TheLine

Martz is currently tied for 5th in all of DI in 3 point FG%:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketba ll/statis...

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
12-31-19 02:31 PM - Post#295681    
    In response to penn nation

Bruner isn't really a post player or is about as much of one as Robert Baker from Harvard. He is a rim protector on D but offensively he doesn't play much back to the basket that I have seen. Martz or even Eddie Scott can guard him on that end. The bigger problem is Atkinson. He has really upped his game and is arguably Yale's MVP thus far. He has stretched his range out to the arc on occasion. He behind only Swain in FGA and has taken more FT's than anyone on the team.

AJ will have his hands full guarding him while Yale can alternate Bruner and Atkinson on AJ. Those two are on the floor together roughly 60% of the time for Yale.

pennsive 
Junior

Reg: 11-21-04
12-31-19 03:58 PM - Post#295686    
    In response to PennFan10

Everything we have seen last year and this year would suggest that Simmons plays offense and defense well only in short spurts and generally not both together. The same is true for Scott. When Wang was healthy, he was an offensive machine scoring and dishing, but his rebounding and defense were far from stellar, and now he is not in the mix for us this year. This leaves MLL to give us the extra rebounding and defensive presence to match with AJ in order to play the complimentary role Max the First did for us the past three years. Without that, we are playing hit and miss (pun intended) with our three pointers to take on Harvard and Yale. This may work some of the time but not consistently and likely not for back to back games on Harvard's court come tournament time. I vote for letting MLL play increasing amounts of time at the 4 and let him begin to spell AJ at the 5. When he is playing without AJ, he can be surrounded by three marksmen and one other who can get to the rim (we have several to choose from), and let MLL get the close in points to supplement what he will provide defensively. Next year, as Some Guy observed, a healthy Wang playing together with MLL will be a force in their own right-one especially on the offensive end and the other defensively.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

12-31-19 05:05 PM - Post#295692    
    In response to pennsive

I don’t see us going with two bigs or going away from the 3 ball this year. Let’s remember that Yale and Harvard will need to take one big out to the perimeter and chase Martz around. Best guess is Steve likes it that way, at least this year.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

12-31-19 05:16 PM - Post#295694    
    In response to AsiaSunset

• AsiaSunset Said:
I don’t see us going with two bigs or going away from the 3 ball this year. Let’s remember that Yale and Harvard will need to take one big out to the perimeter and chase Martz around. Best guess is Steve likes it that way, at least this year.

This only works if Martz gives us more points than he gives up defensively, and doesn't end up in constant foul trouble after being targeted when defending bigger forwards. He may turn out to be better at this next season, if he can get stronger.

The Ivy season is very different from out of conference play. We shall see if this strategy works.

TheLine 
Professor

12-31-19 06:09 PM - Post#295696    

Agree with you.

It's highly likely foul trouble and/or matchup challenges will play a role at some point. Plus those away weekends can be brutal.

Donahue will need to get creative sooner or later. It's likely going to be offense-defense switches at the end of halves on every dead ball, as he's done in past years.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
12-31-19 09:10 PM - Post#295703    
    In response to TheLine

I thought this was about Howard. Is HG returning to this board? Happy New Year!

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

12-31-19 09:18 PM - Post#295705    
    In response to Old Bear

Aren't you supposed to be hibernating, Old Bear?

Happy new year to you, too.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
Howard
12-31-19 09:40 PM - Post#295706    

I am about 30 minutes away from hibernation for the rest of 2109. After that, I will go back to beat Penn mode.

palestra38 
Professor

12-31-19 09:55 PM - Post#295707    
    In response to Old Bear

I guess you're hibernating like Rip Van Winkle.

Happy New Year.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
12-31-19 10:53 PM - Post#295708    

That’s not really how either the Yale or Harvard offense works though. Neither Bruner nor Baker presents a big matchup problem for a smaller defender.

I want to see the look at times because I think it helps us to rebound and defend better, but that is more about having a 2nd potential rim protector when AJ gets drawn away. Overall, though, I think our primary approach works fine.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
01-01-20 01:45 AM - Post#295709    
    In response to TheLine

• TheLine Said:
The 3 starting seniors all had solid games but other than them, Martz and Monroe, no one else did anything noteworthy. Scott had limited impact, Simmons picked up 2 quick fouls and was yanked, Washington didn't look good at all. Jerome was OK but TBD what he can do against better opposition.

Seems like we have 6 players that SD has confidence in, assuming Dingle's injury is minor.

This is why getting Jonah Charles back is so important. No offense to anyone, but from what I saw at the red and blue scrimmage, he should immediately replace ten+ lineup minutes from some folks who shouldn't have them.

weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

01-01-20 02:00 AM - Post#295710    
    In response to Quakers03

• Quakers03 Said:
  • TheLine Said:

This is why getting Jonah Charles back is so important. No offense to anyone, but from what I saw at the red and blue scrimmage, he should immediately replace ten+ lineup minutes from some folks who shouldn't have them.

If he's as good a shooter as I've heard he's supposed to be...

Edited by weinhauers_ghost on 01-01-20 02:01 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Charlie Fog 
Masters Student

Loc: Philly
Reg: 11-12-13
01-01-20 08:02 AM - Post#295711    

anyone know what is ailing Charles?

Page 6 of 7 « First<4567
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.161 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:23 AM