Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Brown 85 URI 75        (Topic#23783)
JBears 
Senior

Reg: 06-06-12
01-02-20 11:12 PM - Post#295823    

Fantastic win! Choh was big with 15 8 7. Hunsacker was on target with 6-8 from 3 on way to 22 pts. BA ran the O well and hit some big shots. Mitchell had a nice game with 4 pts but contributed 6 rebs, 3 asts, & 1 stl. Gainey 7 rbs. Brown got the lead early and answered all of URI’s runs. Brown was up 38-30 at half time. Rams scored eight straight. Time out Bears. Bears score next four out of time out. Great coaching tonight by Martin. He had the group really running the offense strong. Bears had 18 assists to URI’s 10. Lots of good inside passing leading to layups or dunks by Gainey or Choh. The Pitz was packed with 85% Rhode fans. Sat with three friends who attended URI. Extremely satisfying win. Just a great effort. The games at St. John’s and Duke paid dividends.

HGA 
Sophomore

Loc: New York
Reg: 10-16-18
Re: Brown 85 URI 75
01-02-20 11:38 PM - Post#295824    
    In response to JBears

A great win! This game especially shows what we are capable of come Ivy League play.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Brown 85 URI 75
01-03-20 03:36 PM - Post#295881    
    In response to HGA

Anderson put them on his back after URI closed to 5 late. Driving assist for a Hunsaker 3, and then three huge shots off of one-on-ones - jumper in the lane, great driving layup, and a big three, all over Fatts Russell, an outstanding defender who during the Duke broadcast Anderson said was his toughest matchup. Lots of TOs, but even bigger plays.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
01-03-20 09:06 PM - Post#295910    
    In response to Bruno

Amen, Russell had his way until BA got him in foul trouble. Fats was the best player on the floor, but BA got his revenge. It was fun to watch.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
01-04-20 03:39 AM - Post#295919    
    In response to Old Bear

Just got to watch this on demand. Very fun game to watch and congrats to Brown in big rival victory!

I only gotten to catch a few Brown games this season (little one at home doesn’t allow for as much b-ball watching as usual), but like your young guys. One Q - wondering why DeWitt continues to start and play more minutes than Gainey? Frankly doesn’t seem to add much and Gainey brings tools that no one else on team has.

HGA 
Sophomore

Loc: New York
Reg: 10-16-18
01-04-20 05:13 AM - Post#295921    
    In response to Mike Porter

DeWolf knows the offense and defense well, sets hard screens, and brings a very positive energy to the game. Despite this, he is probably a backup on any other Ivy team. Your comments are fair ones and I suspect that Gainey will begin to earn more of the minutes as we get into Ivy play. The numbers don’t lie and he gives us the rim protection that we so desperately need.

JBears 
Senior

Reg: 06-06-12
01-04-20 08:32 AM - Post#295922    
    In response to HGA

From the game notes in Projo under Battle of the Bigs:
Gainey stood at 124 minutes played entering Thursday, nearly double what he logged as a freshman. He’s shooting 63.3% from the floor and has 22 blocks - Choh topped Bears last season with 42. Gainey worked hard in the weight room during the offseason, adding 25 pounds to his athletic 6-9 frame.

“He helps us compete with some of the better teams in our league, and outside our league”, Martin said. “I think the more comfortable he gets and the better his conditioning gets, his minutes will only increase.”

Bruno 
PhD Student

01-04-20 09:14 AM - Post#295924    

Fair q that I’ve asked myself. The quick answer is they both add something, and while watching the game you get a sense Gainey is far higher impact, the reality is they both have their spots.

DeWolf is an exceptionally good passer, and an excellent offensive rebounder. Brown is among the nation’s best here and DeWolf is relentless in grabbing o-boards. He gets steals, he’s efficient from the floor, and he’s a genuine big body with solid post up moves. He actually rebounds at a better rate overall. So while he isn’t plus-athletic, he belongs out there.

Gainey is much more eye-popping. He dunks, has length, and his greatest asset is the shots he blocks and changes. I’ve said for a while now that all he does is change the game whenever he’s out there. But he’s a bit of a black hole who doesn’t pass, and who isn’t real comfortable with the ball in his hands. So it’s been nice to have him come in in spots off the bench. I do think he needs to be out there 20 minutes / game though, because the contrast catches teams off guard. Not too many of our guys will have a rebound dunk followed by an alley oop dunk against Duke.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
01-04-20 06:50 PM - Post#295952    
    In response to Bruno

Good feedback and understood. I’ve only seen a couple games so makes sense (and games I’ve seen have been against more athletic teams where perhaps it isn’t as good a matchup for DeWitt). Gainey looks like a very promising big with his natural tools.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
01-04-20 09:18 PM - Post#295989    

DeWolf was a teammate of AJ at NMH and they are good friends. It may be fun to see the match-ups in the Penn games.

Bruno 
PhD Student

01-04-20 11:16 PM - Post#296036    
    In response to Old Bear

DeWolf does some nice things on defense, but D-ing up Brodeur probably isn’t one of them.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.658 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:02 PM