Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 4 <1234
Username Post: Pennsylvania        (Topic#23787)
SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
01-04-20 09:32 PM - Post#296005    
    In response to SRP

Tigers stuck on 69 forever. Lead down to 11 with about three minutes left.

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-31-19
Pennsylvania
01-04-20 09:32 PM - Post#296006    
    In response to SRP

Lead down to 11 here on a 10-0 Penn run at the under 4, 3:17 to play. Tigers haven't scored in a few possessions. Need a couple more baskets to put this one away, have to be strong with the ball

Edited by welcometothejungle on 01-04-20 09:33 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
01-04-20 09:35 PM - Post#296008    
    In response to welcometothejungle

Tigers get up 21 then seem to stop playing. Lead down to 11.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
01-04-20 09:50 PM - Post#296013    
    In response to TigerFan

Conference play means a clean slate! What a win! Outstanding execution tonight -- pounding it inside relentlessly, no need for 3s tonight.

Schweiger putting on a "Old Man at the YMCA" clinic and an excellent job by Aririguzoh, making Brodeur uncomfortable on his signature push shots. Jaelin was a true floor general, controlling the flow of the game and making up for our lack of quality ballhandlers (outside of him).

SRP 
Postdoc

01-04-20 09:54 PM - Post#296014    
    In response to gokinsmen

That was impressive, with Princeton's Big 3 comfortably outplaying Penn's three seniors. Dingle is going to be a big problem going forward.

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

01-04-20 09:55 PM - Post#296015    
    In response to gokinsmen

And *breathe* Tigers end up winning by 14 after it got a little scary for a little bit. Excellent performances by Aririguzoh, Schwieger and Llewellyn. Really good stuff on both sides, and hopefully some 3s will drop on Friday at home for us. While a sweep is obviously ideal, even just getting 1 from Penn is huge for top 4 positioning.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

01-04-20 10:05 PM - Post#296018    

Great win! Really surprised at how much the Tigers dominated Penn in the paint tonight. Thoroughly enjoyable game! We’ll see what kind of coach Donahue is next Friday.

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

01-04-20 10:10 PM - Post#296020    
    In response to SRP

• SRP Said:
Dingle is going to be a big problem going forward.

Dingle is really really good. The action that gave Princeton the most trouble in the 2nd half was when Penn set a flat ball screen for Dingle/Goodman at the top of the key where he could pick the direction he wanted to go. The guards couldn't get around fast enough, and RA was slow to contest the shot because he has to stay attached to Brodeur. I imagine that look will be a focus for both teams this week prepping for Friday

umbrellaman 
Masters Student
umbrellaman
01-04-20 10:16 PM - Post#296021    

Amazing to be able to win comfortably going 2-11 from 3 point land. Penn though - 3-23 from 3 point territory. Wow.

They may double more next time, but having to make 3s will be a better bet at home.

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

Pennsylvania
01-04-20 10:28 PM - Post#296023    
    In response to umbrellaman

Llewellyn was fantastic tonight, one of his best games to watch as a Tiger. 18 points and 14 rebounds, and his aggressiveness on offense and his defense were fun to watch

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
01-04-20 10:54 PM - Post#296030    
    In response to gokinsmen

Schwieger is a mismatch for the Quakers but naturally he has to play at a high level which he did tonight. Richmond neutralized Brodeur once again. Llewellyn had a step up game and he has been playing much more under control the last few games.

Something that I do not understand as to why Mitch did not go to an inside game much earlier in the season. The Tigers have nothing more than ok 3 pt shooters but they have strength down deep and going to the hoop. It seems that it takes Mitch a while and too long to make adjustments to offense and defense year in and year out but he does seem to keep the team resilient and ultimately makes adjustments but this year seemed even longer than usual.

Final question may be that Penn and perhaps the rest of the IL is no "great shakes" and non-conference competition was significantly greater for the Tigers. Would not be surprised if this is the case as not sure if there really is an outstanding IL team but time will tell.

bradley 
PhD Student

01-04-20 10:57 PM - Post#296031    
    In response to bradley

One other comment is that Brodeur is a good player but the best player in the IL?? If so, it says something about the league.

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

Pennsylvania
01-04-20 11:08 PM - Post#296034    
    In response to bradley

• bradley Said:
Something that I do not understand as to why Mitch did not go to an inside game much earlier in the season. The Tigers have nothing more than ok 3 pt shooters but they have strength down deep and going to the hoop. It seems that it takes Mitch a while and too long to make adjustments to offense and defense year in and year out but he does seem to keep the team resilient and ultimately makes adjustments but this year seemed even longer than usual.

I think the biggest factors are a) Schwieger unlocks this with his unique ability to play in the post as a wing, and his injuries definitely limited the Tigers early on, and b) Penn doesn't matchup very well with his game (or Evbuomwan's, who had a couple nice baskets too). Assuming Brodeur and Simmons are on Aririguzoh the whole game like they were today, and that they don't play together, Penn doesn't play anyone bigger than 6-6, and that's Martz and Scott who are not physical players. Schwieger was dominating his matchups against much smaller defenders like Betley, Scott, Martz who aren't used to being posted up. Same way that he did last year to Cornell and Columbia when he won POW, where neither team had the size on the wings to matchup with him. He probably will find fewer advantages against teams like Harvard or Yale, who have a bit more physicality/size to put on him.

Under Donahue, Penn has always stressed taking away 3pt attempts. In fact this year, they have the 7th lowest 3PA Rate Against in the country. Instead of forcing tough looks or settling for long 2s, the Tigers accepted that and pounded the paint. If doubles come next time out, I think Friberg (39%), Schwieger (40%), Morales (43%) and Wright (32%) can all hit shots if they need, but I think Donahue's MO has always been to deny attempts and not play the 3pt lottery

SRP 
Postdoc

01-04-20 11:14 PM - Post#296035    
    In response to bradley

I've noticed this negativity about the team and the league for a while now, but it doesn't seem attached to the realities. Penn is a pretty good team, Brodeur has embarrassed guys from power conferences (and Penn has played a fairly tough schedule), etc.

The Tigers have been going to the inside a lot all season, but most teams collapse inside and dare them to shoot threes. The Quakers mostly didn't try that, so Schwieger had all day to make his moves and Llewelyn often had only one guy to beat on his drives. Llewelyn did have one of this best games in any case, and there was some pretty nifty interior passing from a couple of guys.

Outside of the big three, the player who stood out a little was Tosan O., who showed some flair and played good defense. Morales was more in "no-no-yes!" mode tonight, but I'd bet his plus-minus was positive. As a group, though, they were very good about gluing up on Betley and Martz and not letting them get many looks from beyond the arc.

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

01-04-20 11:24 PM - Post#296037    
    In response to SRP

• SRP Said:

Outside of the big three, the player who stood out a little was Tosan O., who showed some flair and played good defense.

Tosan was very good today, I loved his opening basket going right to the rim early on the first possession. Felt like it really set the tone that we were going to pound the paint all night. He missed a few bunnies that will hopefully become dunks and easy lay-ins as his athleticism grows and he gets stronger, but he has been a very pleasant surprise. Notable that he was the only freshman who cracked the rotation today

bradley 
PhD Student

01-04-20 11:47 PM - Post#296042    
    In response to SRP

Against four smallish teams which resulted in losses -- Lafayette. Drexel, Monmouth and Hofstra, the Tigers took 29, 29,25 and 21 3 pt shots at a very low percentage.

Tonight, they took 11 3 pt shots by being patient and work the ball deep.

Play to your strengths against non-Power 5 competition and stay with going deep. In most games, they have started deep with success and did not stay with the strategy.

Schwieger did play in 3 of the these four losses against smaller competition.

Petrie 
Freshman

Reg: 11-14-16
01-05-20 12:00 AM - Post#296044    

I’m glad you can’t bet on sports in wash st.. I would’ve happily given the points and taken penn , and lost $20.

It’s all good now Mitch. I’ve already forgotten all about the pre-season.

Is Richmond A. the best center the tigers have ever had ? Not if you compare output/impact over 4 years, but over 2 years - maybe. He certainly has to be in the conversation. Mueller, Young, Thomforde(sp?) , Goodrich - I must be forgetting somebody.

Great game. Go tigers, shock the world.

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

01-05-20 12:05 AM - Post#296046    
    In response to bradley

Against Lafayette, without Schwieger, the Tigers shot a poor 48% on 2s, including a really bad 12/26 on shots at the rim. Against Drexel, they only took a lot of 3s, but Drexel also sent them to the line for 21 FTs, many of which came on low post looks. I'd also argue Drexel played a much bigger lineup than they usually did, as their non-centers in that game who got minutes were 6-6, 6-6, 6-6 and 6-9 respectively. In the Monmouth game, the Tigers again went to the line for 25 FTs. And against Hofstra, were again a subpar 46% on 2s and 16/35 at the rim. Today the shots went in, and I'd argue a big contributor to that was Penn's philosophy of denying the 3 ball. They sent 1 double team the entire game despite the Tigers' onslaught in the paint. They were content to allow those looks to deny 3pt looks, and paid the price.

bradley 
PhD Student

01-05-20 12:21 AM - Post#296049    

Final comment is that 48% and 46% is a lot better than 27 out of 104 3 pt shots in those four losses.

Mitch has obviously been adjusting the offensive strategy by getting Jaelin to play under control and play much more of a PG role.

Brodeur is certainly a more capable player than the big man in the four losses but they just stayed with a good strategy tonight as pointed out by the Penn announcers.

But it could be just one of those freakish nights for the Tigers.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
01-05-20 12:44 AM - Post#296051    
    In response to Petrie

• Petrie Said:

Is Richmond A. the best center the tigers have ever had ? Not if you compare output/impact over 4 years, but over 2 years - maybe. He certainly has to be in the conversation. Mueller, Young, Thomforde(sp?) , Goodrich - I must be forgetting somebody.

Nominating this for the worst take ever posted on this entire site.

Page 2 of 4 <1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.409 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:49 AM