Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 3 of 4 « First<1234
Username Post: Pennsylvania        (Topic#23787)
Petrie 
Freshman

Reg: 11-14-16
01-05-20 01:02 AM - Post#296052    
    In response to Chip Bayers

Hey thanks! I totally get your point. Couldn’t be more ashamed.

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-31-19
Pennsylvania
01-05-20 01:08 AM - Post#296053    
    In response to bradley

• bradley Said:
Final comment is that 48% and 46% is a lot better than 27 out of 104 3 pt shots in those four losses.

Mitch has obviously been adjusting the offensive strategy by getting Jaelin to play under control and play much more of a PG role.

Brodeur is certainly a more capable player than the big man in the four losses but they just stayed with a good strategy tonight as pointed out by the Penn announcers.

But it could be just one of those freakish nights for the Tigers.

Brodeur may be a better player than any big the Tigers played all year, but the difference is Penn's team defensive scheme does not force 3pt attempts. Only 3 D1 teams have taken more than 20 3s in a game against them, which is absurdly low. Most other teams have packed the paint on the Tigers to slow down the offense, but that didn't happen tonight. Penn sent 1 double team for RA or Schwieger the whole game, and there were barely any digs from perimeter defenders to stop them from backing down. An interesting test will be the Dartmouth game, who is on the opposite end of this spectrum as they have the 326th 3pt attempt rate against. I would wager the Tigers will take more 3s in that game even though Dartmouth is similarly undersized.

Nevertheless, the Tigers were excellent on both sides for the whole game, probably for the first time this season. Looking forward to seeing what adjustments both teams make by Friday

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
01-05-20 03:05 AM - Post#296060    

Go back to Philly, Chipper, where your snark is appreciated.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
Reg: 11-21-04
Pennsylvania
01-05-20 08:06 AM - Post#296062    
    In response to Tiger69

• Tiger69 Said:
Go back to Philly, Chipper, where your snark is appreciated.

Not before I find Pete Carril to tell him a Princeton center who is 0-1 from three in his entire career, with an assist rate hovering near single digits, has just been touted by a Princeton fan as the best the school has ever had at that position.

When the raging intensity of Pete’s foot-stomping, hair-mussing tirade in response causes him to drop dead of a cerebral hemorrhage, you can’t say I didn’t try to prevent this absurdity of a meme from spreading before it killed someone.

Edited by Chip Bayers on 01-05-20 08:17 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Re: Pennsylvania
01-05-20 08:48 AM - Post#296064    

Hilarious!

I would submit he is the best low post big we have had.

But as you point out, not a great passer and not much game away from the rim.

Harder to rank him defensively.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
01-05-20 09:20 AM - Post#296066    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

Watched the game this morning. Random thoughts:

Neither Betley nor Martz can handle Schwieger one on one.
Friberg must step it up defensively.
Tosan looked good on both ends, other than the wild 3.
Do we like Aririguzoh's two jumpers? They looked good.
And how tall is Richmond, really?
Brodeur still only shoots going to his right.
Dingle will give us nightmares.
Jae-Llew does it all, although according to the Penn announcer he's not athletic??? But otherwise I enjoyed their commentary.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
01-05-20 09:38 AM - Post#296067    

Following up on your comments after watching replay:

Arirguzoh's smash block of Brodeur in minute one helped set the tone.

Tigers' defenders fought thru picks and got a hand up to prevent Brodeur from making back door passes.

Penn had some bad luck on quite a few shots but they probably were taking some unfamiliar shots.

Jaelin had 14 rebounds a la Cannady and finally played good D.

Schwieger dominated Betley on offense and Richmond has physical gifts surpassing Brodeur.

Brodeuer plays so hard sometimes to his detriment and is a "crier" regarding called fouls.

Joe "whatever his name" announcer was not bad looking at replays and had good analysis.

Tigers scored 52 points in paint -- enough said.

Is AJ absolutely the best player in the IL as suggested by some Quarkerites?

Finally, it was a great win to put in the bank but it will be challenging to match at Jadwin. Nothing is more enjoyable than watching Penn/Princeton.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
01-05-20 10:41 AM - Post#296068    
    In response to bradley

• bradley Said:

Is AJ absolutely the best player in the IL as suggested by some Quarkerites?

Though you wouldn't know it from last night, it's not fiction that he has been in the conversation for POY for the last 2 years. And that's not Quaker talk, that's reality.

The good news for us Quaker fans is guys who are POY candidates multiple years in a row aren't defined by one bad individual game. They are defined by how they respond to that game. See you Friday.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
01-05-20 10:51 AM - Post#296069    
    In response to bradley

Is Brodeur the best player in the Ivy? Maybe. Was he the best center on the court last night? No. Those aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive. Sometimes a guy matches up well against you, but you match up better against more opponents overall.

bradley 
PhD Student

01-05-20 11:48 AM - Post#296072    
    In response to SomeGuy

• SomeGuy Said:
Is Brodeur the best player in the Ivy? Maybe. Was he the best center on the court last night? No. Those aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive. Sometimes a guy matches up well against you, but you match up better against more opponents overall.

I agree that Brodeur could be IL POY this year even though Arirguzoh has neutralized AJ or outplayed him over the last three meetings.

I admire Brodeur as he gives every ounce of effort and he is a team player. He strikes me as more of a traditional IL C than a Power 5 C. Arirguzoh is a different type of C who has physical advantages over Brodeur who has some limitations as to pure athleticism. Brodeur has enjoyed a wonderful career at Penn and he has 13 games to show that he is truly POY as suggested by some as almost an absolute.

Time will tell.

whitakk 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-11-14
01-05-20 11:51 AM - Post#296073    
    In response to SomeGuy

Watched the replay this morning, left thinking this was more about matchups than Princeton necessarily being much better than expected. On offense, Princeton is primarily a 1-on-1 team now, which is exactly the way to beat Penn. On defense, RA is AJ's kryptonite somehow, and stopping him without doubling takes away the ball movement that is Penn's best threat.

So while nothing about the win looked like a fluke for Princeton, I'm also not sure it will translate against the rest of the league. But even if they're still fighting for fourth place, a road win at Penn will be very valuable there.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
01-05-20 12:04 PM - Post#296075    
    In response to bradley

The interesting thing about the matchup is that AJ usually matches up better against more athletic bigs. To a degree, the more athletic the opponent, the better he plays. Accept for against Richmond. Not sure why. I notice some of the Princeton posters commenting that AJ always goes right, and that simply isn’t true. But it certainly was true last night. Not sure if Richmond forces him right or he just chooses to go that way. Maybe AJ is playing the long game and saving the moves to the left against Princeton for the final game against them of his career.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
01-05-20 12:44 PM - Post#296077    
    In response to SomeGuy

• SomeGuy Said:
I notice some of the Princeton posters commenting that AJ always goes right, and that simply isn’t true. But it certainly was true last night. Not sure if Richmond forces him right or he just chooses to go that way.

I have only watched him in our games against Penn last year and this one game this year. It was Noah Savage who pointed out his habit. Perhaps he goes left against others; I would not know.

He shot (to my count) one short quasi-hook with his left last night, and made one layup from the left, but used his right hand.

Perhaps he does not go left against Richmond because he is less confident with that hand.

bradley 
PhD Student

01-05-20 12:58 PM - Post#296078    
    In response to SomeGuy

• SomeGuy Said:
The interesting thing about the matchup is that AJ usually matches up better against more athletic bigs. To a degree, the more athletic the opponent, the better he plays. Accept for against Richmond. Not sure why. I notice some of the Princeton posters commenting that AJ always goes right, and that simply isn’t true. But it certainly was true last night. Not sure if Richmond forces him right or he just chooses to go that way. Maybe AJ is playing the long game and saving the moves to the left against Princeton for the final game against them of his career.

I have watched AJ be effective against Bigs even Power 5 conferences. I think, not sure. that there are two reasons why it has not been the case against the Tigers in the last 3 games.
1. Power 5 teams are not familiar with IL offenses, including back doors, 3 pt shooting by a big, etc. AJ tries to get bigs off their feet with offensive moves vs. simply trying power moves. I have seen AJ have success against a good defender even in the IL like Chris Lewis because he gets Lewis off his feet as well as drawing fouls.
2. Richmond has instinctive God given abilities as a defender. He occasionally, but rarely, gets off his feet too early and he is obviously strong enough to fend off bumps by offensive players. He is also a very intelligent young man. The one IL C that he reminds me of although Richmond is probably 2 inches taller and a bit stronger was Kenyatta Smith in his sophomore year at Harvard. Smith had instinctive defensive injuries with a limited offensive game plus injury prone.

I am sure that Donahue will try a different approach at Jadwin. He may want Brodeur to shoot a few 3 pointers early to try to lure Richmond away from the basket or run more give and gos after AJ picks off a Tiger guard. I doubt that AJ will suddenly turn on the switch against Richmond with same old/same old but that would be impressive.

Brodeur has the will and determination but perhaps not the skill set against Richmond.

Finally, it has been a bit frustrating watching the use of Richmond offensively in non-conference play. He does not have the instinctive abilities on offense vs. defense and his hands are not great but nobody has been able to stop him going to the basket.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

01-05-20 02:55 PM - Post#296085    
    In response to SomeGuy

• SomeGuy Said:

AJ goes right 90S% of the time or more when he posts. When he drives he often goes left. He has a left hand but again, 90% of the time he uses his right hand. All the Ivy coaches know it. Giannini (former LaSalle coach) preached it in the game he broadcast. When AJ makes a shot with his left he runs down and holds it up in the air because his teammates and coaches have teased him about not using it. It’s not secret to anyone. He can use his left, but he doesn’t have the footwork or range that he has with the right.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
01-05-20 03:44 PM - Post#296088    
    In response to PennFan10

It has been odd to see the style reversal in this rivalry. There was one possession last night, with RA off the floor I think, where Schweiger set up in the high post and the Tigers looked more old-school. Still saw some good passing to cutters the rest of the time, but the structure was different.

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

01-05-20 03:53 PM - Post#296089    
    In response to SRP

Llewellyn and Friberg both had some nice off ball cuts for layups yesterday, and Llewellyn turned one of his into a dunk. Friberg did a nice job of adjusting to how Penn was playing him on offense, covering him very tight on the perimeter. He cut hard for an open layup once, and also made some nice drives and dishes to contribute without hitting a 3.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
01-05-20 04:07 PM - Post#296091    
    In response to welcometothejungle

Because of all the points in the paint, does Penn go zone on Friday?

PennFan10 
Postdoc

01-05-20 04:20 PM - Post#296093    

• 1LotteryPick1969 Said:
Because of all the points in the paint, does Penn go zone on Friday?

Would be the first time in SD's tenure they played zone for any sustained period of time so I seriously doubt it.

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

Pennsylvania
01-05-20 04:50 PM - Post#296097    
    In response to PennFan10

I might be misremembering, but didn't Penn have a 1-3-1 with Betley at the top a few years ago? Definitely wasn't their main defense but I seem to recall that being a look they had for a few possessions a game.

Something like that just to disrupt Princeton's ability to hunt 1 on 1 matchups could be useful maybe

Page 3 of 4 « First<1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.013 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:14 PM