Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: GMK Transferring        (Topic#23798)
JBears 
Senior

Reg: 06-06-12
01-08-20 10:01 PM - Post#296283    

Verbal Commits mentions that GMK is transferring. No mention of where. I was hoping he would be back for the league season. He is a good shooter and a hard worker on O & D. But he was hurt his freshman year and virtually never played. He contributed nicely last year. But this year I heard he had a concussion in preseason, and is now transferring.

The starting backcourt next year would most likely be Friday and Cowan, who started last night against Johnson & Wales with BA out due to a knee problem. Without GMK the backcourt will now include Watts, Shaper, & Perry. That is not as strong as it has been in recent years unless Friday and Cowan have strong sophomore campaigns. They were both highly rated HS players in Michigan and Illinois. Commit Zack Taylor is a promising guard playing at Mt. Herman this year, who scored 31 in a game earlier this year, including six 3’s. No senior leadership in the backcourt may hurt. But we’ll worry about that next year. The 2020 league season is close to beginning. Go Bears!!!

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: GMK Transferring
01-08-20 11:19 PM - Post#296291    
    In response to JBears

Yeah I saw that. GMK when healthy was a terrific player for this team and would have been bigger this year. Tough loss as our purest outside shooter.

Next year’s team will actually have some depth and experience in the frontcourt between Choh, DeWolf and Gainey, plus Mitchell. They will need backcourt help and lack experience there, but I think Meren is going to be a big player for them. And this kid out of NMH looks like an impact player and he may actually be your point.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

HGA 
Sophomore

Loc: New York
Reg: 10-16-18
01-09-20 02:10 AM - Post#296296    
    In response to JBears

I’ve heard that Meren can play the 1 position and is a good passer, ball handler, and decision maker. Also heard that he is pretty athletic. The expectation is that he will be a starter, possibly with Friday and Cowan in the backcourt.

Edited by HGA on 01-09-20 02:11 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

JBears 
Senior

Reg: 06-06-12
01-09-20 06:06 AM - Post#296297    
    In response to HGA

Shame on me. I forgot about Meren. He seems to be a natural scorer and also has good size. And you’re right about the front court, Bruno. It will be experienced and have good size. And who knows who else Martin and his staff may bring in?

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
01-09-20 06:15 PM - Post#296317    
    In response to JBears

GMK could have been a real plus this year. His game grew as last year progressed and his minutes grew. I understand that he had a great summer.

Most unfortunately, he hasn't fully recovered from a concussion suffered preseason, I don't believe it was his first one. His symptoms also impacted his class participation and he chose to withdraw before the end of the semester. I don't know the source of Verbal Commits transfer statement, but I hope and expect he will be able to return to Brown next year. I also hope he will be able to play again but you never know with concussions.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
01-09-20 06:17 PM - Post#296318    
    In response to JBears

I think Meren may be able to run the point for a D3 team but I sense he will be more of a wing for Brown. Either way I think he will be an important player for them.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.203 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:27 AM